• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter

Isopycnic

Thanks Pack and Franklin. That's good to know. That makes me feel like I'm not out to lunch with my expectations, which is always nice. :) I appreciate the insight. And Mackrel, I saw that on JB's TWTR feed. Allan is talking about a more favorable pattern on Twitter too, so that's good.

It's funny, as much as I was disappointed that we missed an opportunity for a good bit more snow, the time leading up to it, while nerve-racking, was a lot of fun. I enjoy hanging out with all you guys on this board and chasing after the snow unicorn together.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Pack and Franklin. That's good to know. That makes me feel like I'm not out to lunch with my expectations, which is always nice. :) I appreciate the insight. And Mackrel, I saw that on JB's TWTR feed. Allan is talking about a more favorable pattern on Twitter too, so that's good.

It's funny, as much as I was disappointed that we missed an opportunity for a good bit more snow, the time leading up to it, while nerve-racking, was a lot of fun. I enjoy hanging out with all you guys on this board and chasing after the snow unicorn together.

I am trying not to think about how close we were to something historic yesterday, if that darn southern energy was a little quicker we would have had a top 5 snow storm instead of a top 5 bust, but a chance is all you can ask for, and the little under 2" I got still nice, I forgot what it looked like to have the roads covered with snow.

BTW - the 12z GEFS just flipped at day 10/11, shows a pretty darn good pattern, someone is going to get a big dog next weekend, not us obviously, one thing I do know is this won't be a OBX/Norfolk special.  If I was in the foothills/mtns I would be model watching like crazy.

Looking at this some more, the Aleutian Ridge looks to be a permanent feature in the LR which I thought typical argues for a trough in the west, which is what we get days 3-10, but than it looks like the -AO/-NAO start to develop which squashes the ridge in the east.  Curious to see what analogs pop up on that run, has to be a wintery pattern for the MA/NE, close for our area, will see.

Looking at this some more, the Aleutian Ridge looks to be a permanent feature in the LR which I thought typical argues for a trough in the west, which is what we get days 3-10, but than it looks like the -AO/-NAO start to develop which squashes the ridge in the east.  Curious to see what analogs pop up on that run, has to be a wintery pattern for the MA/NE, close for our area, will see.

Oh yeah, you're getting sucked in.  That's the packbacker we know!

We'll be looking to fringe our way to climo by riding the edge of the potential foothills/mountain special in the Triad. Three years without climo will be painful. I guess we're still paying for 2009-2010, as is Asheville (they got 40"+, IIRC).

I agree with WeatherHeels. I've been searching for my foot for a decade now. It's time for this Fab February to make it happen. Or will we have to wait until Monster March? Or Amazing April? Marvelous May?...

Just bantering, but it was definitely a memorable storm for me. It was snowing with a temperature of 16F in my backyard last night. The only other time I remember actually witnessing such a cold snowfall event was (I think) Jan 2, 2002, when it was around 21-22, snowing, and the kitchen sink pipes froze. Another was Jan 19, 2005, when it was mid-20s and snow. But nowhere near as cold as last night. Pretty cool stuff!

He posted it was sleeting today about mid morning. It looks to be training, so I bet he got a coating or so, don't no about snow?

The pics coming out of myrtle beach are very impressive!

They are and a very impressive storm for thier standards. I still can't get over the fact of snow/sleet covered beach sand. 

I have no future in politics.  If they were dumb enough to elect me, within three months I would piss off everyone.  Most, multiple times.

That's when you live by the words of Stephen Fry:

“It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so ****ing what?”

That's when you live by the words of Stephen Fry:

“It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so ****ing what?”

This offends me.

Well finally get to go home and sleep.  I don't we ever worked as hard for such a minor event.  Turned to ice on the surface almost immediately.  We have used the salt thats for sure.

Quote of the winter from Pilotwx-- "definitely a historical snow, I have never seen it snow for over 12 hours and only get an inch" Lol!!  

I want a FOOT NOW.  I WANT A FOOT NOW!!!   If i dont get a foot now, i'll wait until i do get a foot, but one of these days, I'll get a foot, and hopefully not up my arse. 

I felt that way too, so I went to Snowshoe last week.  I can't wait for a once every 20 year (apparently) event here.  So, I got a 16" storm on Tuesday and then a couple random events that brought the total for our 4 days to 20".  It isn't the same as seeing it imby but it was still really fun.

Have to chuckle --- forecast is calling for temp to drop to 6 degrees tonight... the AFD only considers that to be 'chilly'. Me, I'd write it up as bone-breaking bitterly frigid.... :D

Tonight Partly cloudy, with a low around 6. Light north wind.

SYNOPSIS... HIGH PRESSURE AND A CHILLY AIR MASS WILL REMAIN OVER
THE AREA UNTIL FRIDAY MORNING...WHEN A WARMING TREND WILL BEGIN.

Archived