joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter

Isopycnic

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This evening is gonna be the big one IMO.  Things keep trending a little North and West.  When the southern energy actually interacts the models get to see how big this thing is gonna blow.  If it scoots JUST a touch faster the 18Z and 0Z maps are gonna be absolutely beautiful for central and Eastern NC

Thanks for the thoughts Tracker!!

For the mountain areas, I don't think the shift west has anything to do with the QPF projection.  Rather, as Robert pointed out, it looks like overrunning precipitation that breaks out far earlier than the NAM and GFS indicate.  In fact, if taken at face-value, it would snow lightly all day in the mountains, to the tune of 1-2" as others have pointed out.

My concern is the location of the arctic boundary at 1pm EST versus where it was modeled to be.  It is running slower, as KAVL still sits in the upper 40s, and even Knoxville is still in the 40s.  If the front hangs up a bit longer, it may be a good focus for the better overrunning precipitation.  I think the Euro is hinting at this.

Stay tuned mountain folks.  This could be interesting - and we may not need any NW shift.

I want to see another SOLID move west and get the fence out of my back yard.

50-60 miles.   I'm begging for being solidly in the .5-.75 range.  That has an outside shot at 10 inches with ratios....but almost a guaranteed 7-8.  You don't need quite as much in Raleigh....but I'm greedy and want it in MBY. :)

That was nuts. I ditched work once the first icing reports came in and made it home before it got crazy. Hopefully nothing like that this time, besides a bit of snow.

It was pretty bad if you had to drive north of the city.  My intuition told me to WFH that day and I ignored it because the pro forecasters acted like it wasn't going to be that bad until almost lunchtime that day.  By the time the "uh... get out! get out now!" alarm sounded, it was too late for those of us driving northward.  I won't do that again.

As fate would have it, we've had nothing but rain in winter since then.  Can't believe it's been almost 3 winters without snow or ice up here.

Was in Simpsonville this weekend sir. Down seeing Friends off of HWY 14.

Good luck hoss. I am about 1 hour and 15 mins NNE of ya.

6 o'clock news weather forecasts look to be more interesting for GSP area! Missed the noon news, but at morning news time, they had flurries to dusting. GSP last update was 1-3 for 85 and south. That was before euro run! It's about to get fun!

I want to see another SOLID move west and get the fence out of my back yard.

I just want what the models are spitting out, 0.4-0.5" of precip, which would be 4-6".  Curious to see what RAH says our ratios maybe.  Anything over 3" for me is a great winter event. 

I sure would not want to be in ILM for this, it could be really bad down there.  

Of course PGV will be jackpotted, they have been on quite a roll the past 4 years, they jackpotted the boxing day storm too and a few other small ones.  Happy for WeatherNC, sure he will love it.

Would love to see some more in house models from local stations.  WRAL is going for 2-4" and has us starting about 1pm and ending about 10pm, be nice to see the ground whiten up during the day.
WRAL is going to shift that, they always do

The trend has been to tick NW with the precip shield.  I think that the shift will hold and the next cycle of runs will trend wetter in the regions seeing precip due to the stronger northern stream energy and the overrunning out ahead of the system.  The only exception may be that the areas in the highest precip will stay about the same around 1" qpf.

I just want what the models are spitting out, 0.4-0.5" of precip, which would be 4-6".  Curious to see what RAH says our ratios maybe.  Anything over 3" for me is a great winter event. 

I haven't heard a ton of talk concerning ratios today. The column is really that cold, and there is a warm nose which is near 1.5C on forecast soundings. I think a 10:1 is the way to play it conservatively. Still is a solid 3-6" snow across Wake County.

Archived