SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter 2013-14 Part 2

klw

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome day out on the trails today, Our local club serving free lunch to all the riders Chile, Dogs and burgers with all the fixins, Running in the deep powder off trail, And groomed trails flat and fast..........

Sled1_zps82c62c3c.jpg

That's pretty cool that your club does that.  Does the club own that little snowcat?    

Awesome day out on the trails today, Our local club serving free lunch to all the riders Chile, Dogs and burgers with all the fixins, Running in the deep powder off trail, And groomed trails flat and fast..........

Sled1_zps82c62c3c.jpg

Sled3_zps67433c49.jpg

Sled2_zps133bb4f1.jpg

Sweet! Trails still thin in my kneck of the woods. That's not the club's groomer is it? Our club has a large diesel Tucker Cat and an 8' X 16' drag. I did take the boy on a spin through ours and my neighbor's yard. Actually put on 3 miles!

Cooler in the valley today...! 

I skated a lap on the lake yesterday.  Don't know if you've been out but it was pretty good and the day was just about perfect.  The outside lane was the one to take.

I haven't yet, a couple of my kids went yesterday and they said it was good ice, I was shoveling out hydrants and it did look nice on the Lake.  Also I know this year they moved the skate shack to the clubhouse and serve some hot food, coffee, cocoa, etc.  Also I noticed today or yesterday they moved the webcam and it is now looking right up the lake.

Just checked outside and see we have some light freezing rain falling and cars already glazed over temp did bump up to 24F with the precip. 

Nice dryslot... good use of a nice sunny day.  I was surprised we even broke into the sun for a little bit this afternoon.

Thanks, Yeah, Scott, Got to get out and get after it while the snow is here, Best conditions in a few years

did a local ride as well. Raymond up to otisfield toward Norway and back. Only 60miles but just a great day out there. Most trails were groomed although snow was quite slippery. Rain will help a bit but would be nice to get a refresher before next wknd.

Freezing rain/drizzle. Deck and driveway very slippery. My old dog couldn't stand up :( .

Wow, it sure got nasty out there fast...over the last hour, really.  Freezing rain has already made my front porch and driveway a skating rink.  Just saw a neighbor's car spinning out passing my house on just a modest incline.  Glad I don't have to go anywhere tonight.  I rarely root for above freezing temps, but I'll be glad when we break 32°  It's 28° as of now.

Already more ice here than the totality of the ice storm a week or two ago!

Very slick travel this morning... ambient temp at my house was 33.5F so no icing really on elevated objects but wow on all roads.  Side roads and my dirt road was pretty touch and go, just glare ice...once on RT 108 though it wasn't too bad.  But you could see there was enough of "something" on the road for the plow to move it to the side.  Already have some co-workers stuck out there on the backroads. 

There really nothing DPW can do about it...just really cold ground temps freezing everything solid on the road surface.  Steady traffic is probably the only thing that can really break it and melt it.

4,000ft is 33F and gusting in the 60s out of the SSE.

2,600ft is 32F

1,500ft is 34F and gusting in the 30s out of the SE.  Just a raw wind driven mist at this point.

Well, had some ZR last night and as others said, it was quite icey for a while.

Up to 35 now though and things drip-drip-dripping.  Let's get this sucker through.

I haven't yet, a couple of my kids went yesterday and they said it was good ice, I was shoveling out hydrants and it did look nice on the Lake.  Also I know this year they moved the skate shack to the clubhouse and serve some hot food, coffee, cocoa, etc.  Also I noticed today or yesterday they moved the webcam and it is now looking right up the lake.

Just checked outside and see we have some light freezing rain falling and cars already glazed over temp did bump up to 24F with the precip. 

Shoveling hydrants in Fairlee?  On Saturday, when I was finished skating and packing up my truck, a couple guys came by and plowed/shoveled out the hyrdrant next to my parent's garage--maybe you?  I should've said hi, lol.

Sweet! Trails still thin in my kneck of the woods. That's not the club's groomer is it? Our club has a large diesel Tucker Cat and an 8' X 16' drag. I did take the boy on a spin through ours and my neighbor's yard. Actually put on 3 miles!

No, Its private owned by one of our members, That whole setup is his

The cutter of death has arrived in BTV with near 50F and rain. Surprisingly the snow isn't vanishing before my eyes just yet. We just passed 3 weeks straight with a solid snow cover but we will see if it holds at all until the front blows through.

Well, had some ZR last night and as others said, it was quite icey for a while.

Up to 35 now though and things drip-drip-dripping.  Let's get this sucker through.

Shoveling hydrants in Fairlee?  On Saturday, when I was finished skating and packing up my truck, a couple guys came by and plowed/shoveled out the hyrdrant next to my parent's garage--maybe you?  I should've said hi, lol.

Ha, yup that was me!!  I am sure we will meet up one of these times on the Lake!!

Temp was 34F when left the house within the 20 mile drive fluctuated from 33 to 41F.  Main roads were combo of wet/ice, side roads looked real icy.  As much as I love winter weather, I am okay with plain rain with this slug of moisture coming through.

The cutter of death has arrived in BTV with near 50F and rain. Surprisingly the snow isn't vanishing before my eyes just yet. We just passed 3 weeks straight with a solid snow cover but we will see if it holds at all until the front blows through.

Couldn't have named this one better myself. Cutter of death. Awesome. 

I'm going west to go find 100" of snow in western NY and ski something. 

Probably the nastiest commute I've had since moving to New Sharon in 1998.  Wood ashes got me up the driveway, but the 2,000' of gravel road was untreated wet ice - barely made the one tiny (maybe 15' total rise) hill.  First 15 miles, to Belgrade Village (which featured a sizable lake right at the dam) was icy washboard, which sent one large DOT plow truck into the snowbank just south of the Rome-New Sharon line.  After that the road had less ice/slush, but about 4 miles south, a bulk propane truck lost it on a corner and hit the snowbank, which tipped the vehicle on its left side, after which momentum spun it 180, such that the cab was in the road shoulder and the back end in someone's dooryard.  It happened just seconds before I got there, as a couple folks were trotting toward the truck and I don't think the driver had gotten out yet - if wearing his seatbelt he should've been okay.  Given the blind corner and three "helper" vehicles already stopped, I continued on, flashing headlights at northbound traffic.  Much of north Augusta had no power, so I had to go down Civic Center Drive to get gas.  That took me thru the real lake, 50 yards long by 12-18" deep, on the flats along Bond Brook.  Total time was 90 minutes, twice the norm and mostly white-knuckle. 

At 7 I had 32F at home with moderate rain, 0.75" in/on the pail, and 0.2" accretion.  (barf)

Probably the nastiest commute I've had since moving to New Sharon in 1998.  Wood ashes got me up the driveway, but the 2,000' of gravel road was untreated wet ice - barely made the one tiny (maybe 15' total rise) hill.  First 15 miles, to Belgrade Village (which featured a sizable lake right at the dam) was icy washboard, which sent one large DOT plow truck into the snowbank just south of the Rome-New Sharon line.  After that the road had less ice/slush, but about 4 miles south, a bulk propane truck lost it on a corner and hit the snowbank, which tipped the vehicle on its left side, after which momentum spun it 180, such that the cab was in the road shoulder and the back end in someone's dooryard.  It happened just seconds before I got there, as a couple folks were trotting toward the truck and I don't think the driver had gotten out yet - if wearing his seatbelt he should've been okay.  Given the blind corner and three "helper" vehicles already stopped, I continued on, flashing headlights at northbound traffic.  Much of north Augusta had no power, so I had to go down Civic Center Drive to get gas.  That took me thru the real lake, 50 yards long by 12-18" deep, on the flats along Bond Brook.  Total time was 90 minutes, twice the norm and mostly white-knuckle. 

At 7 I had 32F at home with moderate rain, 0.75" in/on the pail, and 0.2" accretion.  (barf)

Sounds like a lot worse commute then mine. Tried getting out the driveway which has a short steep section. Made it out, but then hit the next section and started spinning then slid backwards into the bank. A little bit of sand got me out, but I opted to take the truck on the 2nd attempt. Still ugly, but managed to get out. Waiting for sanding guy to do our road, but warned him how bad it is. Could be worse by the morning, but gotta keep laying the sand down. $65 each time starts to ad up. Just checked the temp at home. UP to 46F. Uhgg!

Archived