Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2013-14 Part 2

klw

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTV Trimmed back the snow amounts back to 2-4 here:

Yeah, toggling the most recent two versions I’ve seen, it looks like some tweaking that drops things about an inch or two in the northern areas.  The projection is still fairly similar here though.  These are generally subtleties at this point, but thanks for the update; I certainly like having the BTV map progressions on file for my individual storm archives.

02JAN14C.jpg

We’ve had 1.0” of snow through 2:30 P.M. here at the house.  I’ll probably clearly and do a liquid analysis this evening – thus far it hasn’t seemed necessary to do an intermediate clearing, the accumulation is pretty slow and based on the tiny flakes the snow is going to be rather synoptic in density and probably won’t be settling the way dendritic fluff does.

Apparently it has been too cold to get good dendritic growth zone going but that was supposed to improve as the mid levels warm some. That is why we have seen the sugar all day.

Yeah not surprised... this is usually how it goes when its this cold.  Bullets and columns and small flakes. 

Apparently it has been too cold to get good dendritic growth zone going but that was supposed to improve as the mid levels warm some. That is why we have seen the sugar all day.

Also think the dry air in the lower levels is having an effect.  Not often I've seen RH stay in the 70s after 8 hr constant (though admittedly light) snowfall.  Don't think I've seen a flake larger than 1/10" yet.

Back to work today down in Hanover.

At least 3" has fallen here so far today, not sure about up at the house and won't know till about 6pm tonight.  When I left at 7:30 this morning, we only had  0.1" with light snow falling and 30 miles south (Hanover), there was a solid inch...

BTV's 4-6" for my neck of the woods seems spot-on.  Snow grown hasn't been great (though a nice burst in the past 20/30 minutes) and qpf forecasts aren't particularly high.

Sure looks like deep deep winter out there.

Yeah not surprised... this is usually how it goes when its this cold.  Bullets and columns and small flakes. 

Funny how people assume because it's so cold the ratios will be off the wall. Few realize ratios peak at a certain point and then decrease. 

Still nice to have some snow. 

How's Mansfield doing? Bet the quad is one cold puppy right now. 

Funny how people assume because it's so cold the ratios will be off the wall. Few realize ratios peak at a certain point and then decrease. 

Still nice to have some snow. 

How's Mansfield doing? Bet the quad is one cold puppy right now. 

I am aware of the ratio curve and that is certainly the case when it is -23C at the sfc.

Pleasantly surprised to come home to a little under 6" with decent 3/4-1SM rates with good snow growth continuing.

Normally I do 6hr samples, but the really steady snow began around 4am and I had to leave for work at 620am...so this core is about 11-12 hours old. Impressive ratios despite that given the amount.

5.8" new snow

0.29" water equiv

Currently 2.4F

Blizzard warnings posted for coastal Maine counties.

From GYX:

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAY HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD

WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST FRIDAY. THE WINTER

STORM WARNING HAS BEEN CANCELLED.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW...BLOWING SNOW...AND COLD WIND CHILL

VALUES.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 6 TO 10 INCHES.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL CONTINUE INTO FRIDAY MORNING.

* IMPACTS...SLIPPERY SNOW COVERED ROADWAYS AND SHARPLY REDUCED

VISIBILITIES AT TIMES. BLIZZARD CONDITIONS AT TIMES LATE THIS

EVENING THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING NEAR THE COAST.

* WINDS...NORTH 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 40 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...7 BELOW TO 8 ABOVE ZERO.

* WIND CHILL...AS LOW AS 30 BELOW.

* VISIBILITIES...ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.

Two and a half inches here so far for this event.  Looks like the radar echoes are starting to pull a little more east than northeast.

I hope we can get a couple more accumulating events (nickle and dime stuff works for me if it happens on a fairly regular basis) here before the 10th...my location seems to have been snow holed a bit compared to the rest of NNE so far this winter.  Anyway, looks to get more hostile for us in the overall pattern for awhile after then.

Posted some photos in the Ski Thread... http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/40780-the-2013-2014-ski-season-thread/?p=2604931

I was off the past two days, and came back this morning to find 4.5" on the snow board at 3,000ft (only 2" reported on the snow report, so we've been conservative)...and we added another 1" today.  Its really looking quite nice up there in the higher elevations, with the trees holding like a foot of snow above 2,500ft (see pics in ski thread). 

I will say I think we may be in a minor screw zone so far this winter though... or we just keep missing the bulk of any of these "big-ticket" events.  On the flip side, we then keep getting decent snow out of events that most people don't even realize are happening.  Nickle and dime (such as the 4.5" last 48 hours on the mountain prior to today's event) seems to be the rule in these cold airmasses up this way.  Last week brought 4.6" in a 2 day period at home, but nothing overly exciting. This is sort of a prime example of why I'm not a huge fan of well below normal winter-time temps... we seem to struggle getting a solid event in those regimes.  Though it certainly has been active, and I've had snow cover at the house since like 7-10 days prior to Thanksgiving, I have yet to see an event greater than 6" this season at home, which is noteworthy.  I'm looking forward to hopefully ending that streak at some point. 

Minus 1 with light snow. Don't think I have ever seen synoptic snow with below zero temps at my location. 6" or so. I just go out every couple of hours with my leaf blower and blow my driveway in a few minutes. Nothing to clean up with this stuff. So easy!

Same here with the snow falling at this temp. Also can't remember the last time it was 1.8 degrees this early in the evening. Just a smidge under 6.5" here with the last couple inches coming from the light snow that occured most of the day

Posted some photos in the Ski Thread... http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/40780-the-2013-2014-ski-season-thread/?p=2604931

I was off the past two days, and came back this morning to find 4.5" on the snow board at 3,000ft (only 2" reported on the snow report, so we've been conservative)...and we added another 1" today.  Its really looking quite nice up there in the higher elevations, with the trees holding like a foot of snow above 2,500ft (see pics in ski thread). 

I will say I think we may be in a minor screw zone so far this winter though... or we just keep missing the bulk of any of these "big-ticket" events.  On the flip side, we then keep getting decent snow out of events that most people don't even realize are happening.  Nickle and dime (such as the 4.5" last 48 hours on the mountain prior to today's event) seems to be the rule in these cold airmasses up this way.  Last week brought 4.6" in a 2 day period at home, but nothing overly exciting. This is sort of a prime example of why I'm not a huge fan of well below normal winter-time temps... we seem to struggle getting a solid event in those regimes.  Though it certainly has been active, and I've had snow cover at the house since like 7-10 days prior to Thanksgiving, I have yet to see an event greater than 6" this season at home, which is noteworthy.  I'm looking forward to hopefully ending that streak at some point. 

Yeah it may not a big ticket year unfortunately and it looks like we are going to be screwed by the cutter next week.

Yeah it may not a big ticket year unfortunately and it looks like we are going to be screwed by the cutter next week.

That cutter will probably add something to the base- heck, I always think these types of events have potential to flip and dump.  Anyone remember the rainstorm a few years ago that was 30 hours of rain/mist and it suddenly flipped without forecast/warning and dumped 24" in the mountains up here?

it's still January- crappy Decembers (well, it wasn't crap- just not great), doesn't translate to a bad year.  I have trouble writing off a winter until mid-March.  When winter makes the turn toward snow, memories of a screw zone fade quickly.  I'm pretty optimistic about things, generally.  Perhaps its perennial naiveté on my part.  

... Merrimack County...
   Hooksett 5.0 1236 PM 1/02
   Franklin 5.0 400 PM 1/02
   Canterbury 4.5 1237 PM 1/02
   Concord ASOS 3.7 645 PM 1/02 10 on the ground.
   1 SSE Henniker 3.0 1137 am 1/02
   1 WSW Loudon 3.0 337 PM 1/02
   Concord 2.8 1237 PM 1/02

I work near CON and I'm pretty sure they had more than that when I left work...it was about 5".

Two and a half inches here so far for this event.  Looks like the radar echoes are starting to pull a little more east than northeast.

I hope we can get a couple more accumulating events (nickle and dime stuff works for me if it happens on a fairly regular basis) here before the 10th...my location seems to have been snow holed a bit compared to the rest of NNE so far this winter.  Anyway, looks to get more hostile for us in the overall pattern for awhile after then.

Its just been a "meh" start to the winter in northern VT... funny though the different opinions even within this thread with some of the NH/ME crowd having a fantastic start to the winter.  November was my favorite month so far, haha.

Event totals: 1.7” Snow/0.19” L.E.

As of 6:00 P.M., 1.7” of snow had fallen here since it began early this morning, so snowfall accumulation has been quite slow over the past 12 hours.  However, the snow is quite dense as expected, over 11% H2O, so there was almost two tenths of an inch of liquid in it.  It’s often hard to gauge with these small flakes, but it seemed to be snowing quite steadily when I made my observations based on the way surfaces took on a new coating so quickly..

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.19 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 8.9

Snow Density: 11.2% H2O

Temperature: -7.2 F

Sky: Snow (1 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 9.0 inches

A little over 3" here and still 0F. Would like to see 3" more but who knows. Hopefully we're not starting over after next week.

Well, got the 3 more inches I was hoping for in the three hours since I got home. Different type of snow, the stuff I cleared when I first got home was almost the consistency of sugar, this stuff is much more upslopeesque in nature. Still snowing but has let up. I will measure again before I go to bed. Temp down to -2.2F

Archived