• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter 2013-14 Part 2

klw

Yeah, Its awful, We had close to 1.50" rain yesterday the flash froze last night before it could run off

Mine looks like that as well, and I have the added thrill of having a slope at the foot of the driveway. I was seriously going to put on my skates, take a few turns and snap a pic of it but it was so damn cold! That wind just tears right through you.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ditto on the driveway rink. The mailman got stuck today while I was at work and the gf had to get sand out of the basement to help get him out. It's dangerous.

Down to -0.4F so far with some lighter winds. The afternoon temp peaked around 9F, but we had a lame midnight high of 23.5F.

Wtf! Another 1" RN on Saturday. More early next week too. Might as well start from scratch. The good stretches never seem to last. I'll tell u what, you've got to be strong willed, thick skinned to be a winter enthusiast business person. Ski area and snowmobile rental owners must be pretty upset or they will be soon.

LOL, count yours truly also amongst the skatable driveway lot.  The dusting of snow we had two nights ago covered it up though and actually bonded to the ice some, making it a bit more tolerable.

-6 this morning.  Colder than I thought we'd get and at quick glance, don't see other temps that low across the region...

Weekend forecast starting to look pretty ugly.  :axe:

LOL, count yours truly also amongst the skatable driveway lot.  The dusting of snow we had two nights ago covered it up though and actually bonded to the ice some, making it a bit more tolerable.

That's key - the 1/4" we had at the end of the pre-Christmas storm fell on wet ice and clung tightly, offering good traction.  However, dry snow on cold ice is perhaps the nearest thing to zero friction available outside the physics lab.

Jeff's driveway looks like what our 2,000' gravel road was on Monday morning.  Fortunately the ashes I put on the driveway that morning somehow survived the rain, and the road has been sanded, so no problems - until reaching Industry Road, where random ice bonded to the pavement, resulting in 1.7 miles that feels like riding over very poorly laid cobblestones.

Latest gfs runs show 1"+ RA for the weekend and 40s.  Ice jams, anyone?  We had some nasty ones on the Sandy River from the late Jan rains/thaws in 1996, and it's been colder (for thicker ice) this season.

That's key - the 1/4" we had at the end of the pre-Christmas storm fell on wet ice and clung tightly, offering good traction.  However, dry snow on cold ice is perhaps the nearest thing to zero friction available outside the physics lab.

Jeff's driveway looks like what our 2,000' gravel road was on Monday morning.  Fortunately the ashes I put on the driveway that morning somehow survived the rain, and the road has been sanded, so no problems - until reaching Industry Road, where random ice bonded to the pavement, resulting in 1.7 miles that feels like riding over very poorly laid cobblestones.

Latest gfs runs show 1"+ RA for the weekend and 40s.  Ice jams, anyone?

Yes, I got around it the 1st time with the same thing happening here, The snow actually made it gritty, Not so lucky this time, But "if" the GFS is right, May not be an issue come Monday next week

I agree this stretch looks absolutely terrible. As for the 18th we shall see but hopefully that marks a turn around.

Its to bad really, This was looking to be the best start on outdoor recreation in many years, There is going to be so much standing water, Swollen rivers and Ice jams probably out of this.

I went feet over head on the driveway this morning.  Landed right on my hip.  I am now hoping that if nothing else the cutter will get that ice patch by the back door cleared away.

I went feet over head on the driveway this morning.  Landed right on my hip.  I am now hoping that if nothing else the cutter will get that ice patch by the back door cleared away.

Ouch, hate that.  How's the hip?

Did it myself a few winters back in my own driveway.  Hit my head a bit too and saw stars like Sylvester the cat.  ;)

Ouch, hate that.  How's the hip?

Did it myself a few winters back in my own driveway.  Hit my head a bit too and saw stars like Sylvester the cat.  ;)

I'm sore and stiff but nothing too bad, thanks.  Oh I had a nice dusting this morning too but that only added to the slickness.

I don't know if you ever can get use to it, But this "Thaw" happens pretty much annually up here to some type of extent

Yeah I am guessing it does, but it hurts more with below average snow in the ski areas, which was then decimated further by the cutter, only to be followed by the thaw.

cheer up eyewall, just when you succomb and want to move on to spring we'll get 4 feet of snow :)

on a positive note I was able to shoot a puck across an acre of field yesterday, never thought that would happen.

I'll take it.

The snow depth at Mansfield is about half of normal and was 8th lowest on record for yesterday.

Just not a good winter is really the only way to look at it.  Essentially the fear you always have in the back of your head... the brutal cold/dry mixed with rainstorms.

It wouldn't be nearly as frustrating (it would just be downright awful, but not frustrating) if it wasn't getting down to -20F between the rainstorms, haha.

Archived