SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
01/02/14 to 01/03/14 Snow Storm Observations

WeatherFox

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for the question if it does not make any sense, but I once read that often times with a really cold air mass in place, radars have a harder time differentiating between light and moderate echoes. Could this be why we are seeing many of the echoes rapidly weaken on the radar image as they move north into the frigid air?

Sorry for the question if it does not make any sense, but I once read that often times with a really cold air mass in place, radars have a harder time differentiating between light and moderate echoes. Could this be why we are seeing many of the echoes rapidly weaken on the radar image as they move north into the frigid air?

I don't this is true.

I Don't think so. I can say that it's been nothing but light snow here. If it were closer to 32, we'd have barely an inch, but instead I have close to 2

Guest Pamela

Daily Snowfall Totals for the climate sites: NYC (Central Park): 3.1 ISP: 4.7 JFK: 2.5 LGA: 3.4 EWR: 3.2 BDR: 2.0          

You can see the pivoting on radar I was talking about before. If you look at the State College radar, that snow will combine with the snow over us now and pivot over us-should be around for another 6 hours or so hopefully. There will be heavier and lighter periods in that snow but another several inches is quite likely on top of what's already fallen, at least. And snow may get heavier yet as the trough pulls through and dynamics maximize. This won't be a classic CCB like Boxing Day 2010, 2/8/2013, or 12/19/09. But steadier, moderate snow can get a lot done too. Enjoy what we have. 8" or 10" of snow in single digit temperatures happens here maybe once a decade.

Guest Pamela

4.7" of snow in Port Jeff as of 12:01 AM Friday and starting to come down hard again as I went out to measure...with a gusty NE wind screaming off the Sound, moderate to sometimes heavy snow & fog...getting close to blizzard conditions out here...temp down to 17 F.

Archived