SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
12z Model Suite Discussion Thread Jan. 2nd / 3rd

REDMK6GLI

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anyone was smart enough, you'd just have 1 model discussion page instead of cluttering up the thread for each suite.

This serves as a two prong purpose. 1) it allows all members to sift through the correct model run and not through a super thread containing days worth of multiple model runs 2) it helps to give better analysis when model runs start running in one thread and should in theory keep more banter out of here than the general discussion thread

Lets hope for the best. Nam is up first and it can only improve some from where its currently at.

Looking at trends from 6z to 0z the trend improved markedly not drastic but it was there and there is more room for improvement. I expect continued improvement 12z but i urge caution to all as this setup is the most fragile

We need an improvement here on the NAM. Crunch time, folks.

Agreed. We don't even need a massive change 'yet' but need a shift in a better direction whether that be better blocking, more amplification, or a weaker kicker s/w.

Imo that kicker is the most important feature and is what has been halting amplification on recent runs as well as pushing the slp ene/ne rather than nne. Now that we have better data sampling we should start seeing models latch onto a solution today.

Agreed. We don't even need a massive change 'yet' but need a shift in a better direction whether that be better blocking, more amplification, or a weaker kicker s/w.

Imo that kicker is the most important feature and is what has been halting amplification on recent runs as well as pushing the slp ene/ne rather than nne. Now that we have better data sampling we should start seeing models latch onto a solution today.

Very true, like you said there was "some" improvement on the 6z run and i personally think today will be a game of baby steps whether it be in favor of amplification or not

12z NAM initializes 9:15-9:30. I can almost guarantee it will be a nut house in this forum by that time going forward today. I just hope this thread wont be cluttered and the mode i think will step up to the plate if this storm does come to fruition

NAM is already running. Negligable differences so far

This serves as a two prong purpose. 1) it allows all members to sift through the correct model run and not through a super thread containing days worth of multiple model runs 2) it helps to give better analysis when model runs start running in one thread and should in theory keep more banter out of here than the general discussion thread

Sorry, not a fan of having all the info spread across multiple threads rather than spread across multiple pages of one thread, as the latter makes for faster/easier navigation and allows discussion of multiple model suite runs in the same thread.  And it makes me wonder where to post "general" information, like the snowmap that the NWS in NYC just issued - normally that would simply go into the discussion thread, but that thread is dead now.  So, I'll post it here.  Solid 6-8" everywhere in their forecast area on the map and the AFD, as per the excerpt below.  As an aside, I've noticed that the NYC office has generally been putting out maps and forecast snowfall amounts in their AFDs earlier than the Philly office this season.  I like it, even if there's more uncertainty. 

BUT CURRENT THINKING IS THAT IT REMAINS COLD ENOUGH FOR SNOW. HEAVIEST SNOWFALL

WILL BE THU NIGHT INTO FRI MORNING WHERE 4-6 INCHES COULD FALL. OF

COURSE AMOUNTS WILL BE HIGHER WHERE ANY MESOSCALE BANDS OCCUR...SO

CURRENT THINKING IS 5 TO 9 INCHES ACROSS THE ENTIRE CWA...HIGHEST

AMOUNTS ACROSS INTERIOR LOCATIONS.

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

The NAM is already way more amplified and energetic with the N stream when compared to it's 00z run.

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot, but the ridge out west looks a bit better as well. Is that a result of the n stream digging a bit better, or is it the other way around?

The NAM is already way more amplified and energetic with the N stream when compared to it's 00z run.

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot, but the ridge out west looks a bit better as well. Is that a result of the n stream digging a bit better, or is it the other way around?

They both have an affect on each other a bit, but the ridge moreso helps the N stream gain amplitude.

SREF actually went down ever so slightly (about .4") for LGA for the Mean...

Don't just look at the plumes or precip totals.  Many of the members are much less disjointed than before.

Edit: The ARW members are significantly better, the NMB are pretty similar, the NMM are worse.  A wash I guess in the end.

Archived