Newest Member
    joxey
12z Model Suite Discussion Thread Jan. 2nd / 3rd

REDMK6GLI

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

much appreciated Loco

The NAM had really diffuse, light lift through most of the column and didn't make a great case for a demonstrative example, so I'm looking at the 12Z GFS for KEWR at 60 hours (7PM Thursday).

post-28-0-78271300-1388515506_thumb.png

Here's your traditional Skew-T, with omega (upward vertical motion) plotted in the thin white line. On the temperature line, the dendritic snow growth region is highlighted in yellow (between -12C and -18C). You can see here there is lift occurring in many different temperature regions. The time series data is a bit easier to see this on:

post-28-0-85856000-1388515596_thumb.png

This plot is kind of busy and hard to look at, but it shows temperature (gold lines), omega (red - UVV, blue - DVM), the dendritic snow growth region outlined in purple/yellow, and the shading shows the saturation with respect to ice. The vertical line is the 60 h forecast.

You can once again see lift through a very broad layer of the atmosphere, including in the snow growth region (where supersaturation exists), but also above and below it. The maximal lift occurs after 00Z Friday and is maximized above the snow growth region. Here it is saturated and around -24C to -30C. The secondary maxima occurs in the -6C to -10C region.

Forecasting snow ratios is tough and definitely not my forte, but based on these model runs at least I'd expect a wide range of crystal types given the depth of the (super)saturation and lift, the point being beautiful 20:1 ratios will likely not be the norm here, in accordance with the graph forky posted.

Edited to add: As for the 700 hPa level being the source region, you can see here that the dendritic snow growth region actually descends from 600 hPa down to 800-900 hPa as the atmospheric profile becomes much colder with the storm's progression. The strongest lift is maximized up near 500 hPa in this case.

From 0z through 12z, giving equal weight to all the GFS and ECMWF runs, qpf in NYC has averaged 0.45". Assuming snow ratios of 11:1 to 12.5:1, that would suggest a general 5"-6" snowfall across the NYC metro area. My thoughts are that a 3"-6"/4"-8"-type snowfall is probably the best bet at this time. There is still some uncertainty, but the model output has been moving toward convergence beginning at 12/31 0z.

Although this isn't a KU snowstorm by any stretch, it's still a nice event if things play out as currently modeled.

12z UKMET much wetter than GGEM at 72hr. Would love to compare the two at 66 if it was available since this would most likely be the height of the storm

GGEM

P6_GZ_D5_PN_072_0000.gif

UKMET

P1_GZ_D5_PN_072_0000.gif

The gfs, ecm and ukmet are similar in the progression and their qpf.  GGEM continues to be very inconsistent.

From 0z through 12z, giving equal weight to all the GFS and ECMWF runs, qpf in NYC has averaged 0.45". Assuming snow ratios of 11:1 to 12.5:1, that would suggest a general 5"-6" snowfall across the NYC metro area. My thoughts are that a 3"-6"/4"-8"-type snowfall is probably the best bet at this time. There is still some uncertainty, but the model output has been moving toward convergence beginning at 12/31 0z.

Although this isn't a KU snowstorm by any stretch, it's still a nice event if things play out as currently modeled.

Yeah, the highest totals will probably be in the areas where the coastal trough banding sets up early Friday.

^ The UKMET maps look much wetter because they show 12 hour precip rather than 2 hour precip. The UKMET is a better solution than the GGEM, but not as much as those maps appear to indicate at first glance.

Ahh good call.. Even looking at 6hr increments on the Canadian it's amazing how dry it is

The NAM had really diffuse, light lift through most of the column and didn't make a great case for a demonstrative example, so I'm looking at the 12Z GFS for KEWR at 60 hours (7PM Thursday).

attachicon.gifplot1.png

Here's your traditional Skew-T, with omega (upward vertical motion) plotted in the thin white line. On the temperature line, the dendritic snow growth region is highlighted in yellow (between -12C and -18C). You can see here there is lift occurring in many different temperature regions. The time series data is a bit easier to see this on:

attachicon.gifplot2.png

This plot is kind of busy and hard to look at, but it shows temperature (gold lines), omega (red - UVV, blue - DVM), the dendritic snow growth region outlined in purple/yellow, and the shading shows the saturation with respect to ice. The vertical line is the 60 h forecast.

You can once again see lift through a very broad layer of the atmosphere, including in the snow growth region (where supersaturation exists), but also above and below it. The maximal lift occurs after 00Z Friday and is maximized above the snow growth region. Here it is saturated and around -24C to -30C. The secondary maxima occurs in the -6C to -10C region.

Forecasting snow ratios is tough and definitely not my forte, but based on these model runs at least I'd expect a wide range of crystal types given the depth of the (super)saturation and lift, the point being beautiful 20:1 ratios will likely not be the norm here, in accordance with the graph forky posted.

Edited to add: As for the 700 hPa level being the source region, you can see here that the dendritic snow growth region actually descends from 600 hPa down to 800-900 hPa as the atmospheric profile becomes much colder with the storm's progression. The strongest lift is maximized up near 500 hPa in this case.

WOW - thanks! A lot of info to take in. I am going to have to copy and paste this amd read a few hundred times in order to really understand it  ;)

I think we'll end up with a better surface low reflection near the coast if the 500mb trends continue to improve. I like the track of the vortmax underneath us and there are solid dynamics for a time. The progressiveness of the vorts though is what's making the models have fits and continuing inconsistency. The models seem to be getting there, let's hope 0z tonight brings a better result.

WOW - thanks! I am going to have to copy and paste this amd read a few hundred times in order to really understand it  ;)

20-1 is very rare. I'd say if we're lucky we get 15-1. That would still be a 7-8" snowstorm if we get 0.50" liquid, which seems to be a good estimation for our area right now. 4-8" is probably the best call-Upton will likely hoist watches this afternoon.

20-1 is very rare. I'd say if we're lucky we get 15-1. That would still be a 7-8" snowstorm if we get 0.50" liquid, which seems to be a good estimation for our area right now. 4-8" is probably the best call-Upton will likely hoist watches this afternoon.

I think the last time we may have seen 20-1 may have been PD2 front end thump powderfest.

So then 15-1 would be the max? ...with the ratio average being lower? Say 10-1?

Archived