SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Early January 2014 cold snaps - featuring the polar vortex of doom

Ian

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Supposedly the Euro 2M temps have been running way to cold, especially this far out.

That's what people are saying and I have to agree. I have Accuweather Pro which gives you the actual numbers and during the cold period in mid December the Euro's temps were definitely way too cold even as close as 24 hours in, especially the lows.

12z model temp stuff. Kinda dumping some of this in to see how it looks in verification.  MOS so continually bullish makes me think Fri will perform at least. I'm still a little skeptical about next week being super crazy harsh but it's coming at a climo preferred time so should be something at least. 

post-1615-0-75140700-1388518909_thumb.gi

post-1615-0-60930200-1388518970_thumb.pn

post-1615-0-47340900-1388518975_thumb.pn

edit: euro is from 0z still..

12z model temp stuff. Kinda dumping some of this in to see how it looks in verification.  MOS so continually bullish makes me think Fri will perform at least. I'm still a little skeptical about next week being super crazy harsh but it's coming at a climo preferred time so should be something at least. 

18z GFS still 15° or so midday on the 7th.  MOS departures of -15 at 7 days are pretty good.

18z GFS still 15° or so midday on the 7th.  MOS departures of -15 at 7 days are pretty good.

Yeah, it's legit looking. I think we can challenge 2009 type of cold at least. I'm still not sure how much snow cover v no snow cover is impacting things etc.  As far as I can tell all the raw model sfc outputs are almost always too cold.. not just the Euro. 

Archived