• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
00z Model Discussion | January 2-3 Winter storm

user13

Enough. Its a straight up 3 - 6" event on the Euro with 10/1 ratios, more for William and the eastern most Jersey coast. Its cold so 12-15/1 is not out of the question.

Hate these snow maps ...That's why I posted the total qpf. I wish I understood soundings more so I can figure out ratios.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Boston goes from 24 inches to 4 lol. How do you think they feel...

They seem to be pretty settled with their expectations. Hopefully more here can do the same. And for them it's more than 4 inches. I'd say pretty confidently they get more snow than we do from this, unless by some miracle the coastal storm can come back and blow up in time for us but start occluding for SNE like Boxing Day. This is a pattern that favors them a lot more than us.

Enough. Its a straight up 3 - 6" event on the Euro with 10/1 ratios, more for William and the eastern most Jersey coast. Its cold so 12-15/1 is not out of the question.

Look at how the overrunning wave is centered along I-90. We need that to shift south to be confident of a lot here. That's probably how Boston gets most of its snow. We're much more dependent on any coastal development.

Look at how the overrunning wave is centered along I-90. We need that to shift south to be confident of a lot here. That's probably how Boston gets most of its snow. We're much more dependent on any coastal development.

The low basically slides ene off the Va Capes so most if not all of there snow would have to be from overrunning.

Agreed and a 50 mile shift would put many here in business. Unfortunately the guidance this year likes to keep things north minus the Philly mega band back on dec 8th.

_lurk off_

I almost never post - but I've been lurking on this board and over at Eastern since 2005.  I felt compelled to chime in and say that no one should make any sort of determination of this storm yet.  It's way too early.  Countless times have I seen things turn around at the last minute.  I've seen the naysayers and weenie suicides after every model run, I've watched the freak-outs happen during lulls and before wrap-around snows clobber us.  If there is something I've learned from 8 years of quietly lurking and reading these forums is that *anything can happen* so don't count your chickens before they hatch.

The models are a good tool, but they are far from perfect as we've seen many times.  I have also seen the models "lose" a storm for a day.  We could be here again tomorrow evening and all the cynics will suddenly forget they ever doubted at all.  Calm down, and enjoy the ride.  :)

_lurk on_

_lurk off_

I almost never post - but I've been lurking on this board and over at Eastern since 2005.  I felt compelled to chime in and say that no one should make any sort of determination of this storm yet.  It's way too early.  Countless times have I seen things turn around at the last minute.  I've seen the naysayers and weenie suicides after every model run, I've watched the freak-outs happen during lulls and before wrap-around snows clobber us.  If there is something I've learned from 8 years of quietly lurking and reading these forums is that *anything can happen* so don't count your chickens before they hatch.

The models are a good tool, but they are far from perfect as we've seen many times.  I have also seen the models "lose" a storm for a day.  We could be here again tomorrow evening and all the cynics will suddenly forget they ever doubted at all.  Calm down, and enjoy the ride.   :)

_lurk on_

Good post.  I can barely remember a single major storm where they *didn't* lose a storm for at least one model suite.

0z GFS QPF:

BOS: 0.81"

EWR: 0.34"

HPN: 0.40"

ISP: 0.51"

NYC: 0.36"

PHL: 0.20"

0z ECWMF QPF:

BOS: 0.59"

EWR: 0.41"

HPN: 0.45"

ISP: 0.69"

NYC: 0.45"

PHL: 0.34"

I don't know if anyone here will know what I'm talking about, but shades of February 10, 1983 only that was the night before when the LFM cut QPF in half for a storm that the next day brought us 17.8" of snow, 20" at LGA. The difference? This is still 3 days out. That was the next day. Lesson? Don't make a forecast out of a snapshot of one model run cycle prior to a possible storm.

WX/PT

I don't know if anyone here will know what I'm talking about, but shades of February 10, 1983 only that was the night before when the LFM cut QPF in half for a storm that the next day brought us 17.8" of snow, 20" at LGA. The difference? This is still 3 days out. That was the next day. Lesson? Don't make a forecast out of a snapshot of one model run cycle prior to a possible storm.

WX/PT

This! In actuality, nothing really seems surprising anymore after the Eagles snow-bowl game where just a couple of hours before some areas got nearly a foot of snow those very same areas were being called for less than an inch!! We'll all know much better what's going to happen come Thursday/Friday after the storm has arrived/ended!

The 12z thread better be much better than this, I do agree with ace though, there is definitely too many posts that dont have legitimate reasoning as to why this storm will probably outperform current model analysis. Back to the discussion..... we are still are lightyears away from the storm. A stronger ridge out west will help a ton downstream but as someone else said, the base of the trough needs to sharpen to bring this baby closer for more snow. Either way it looks like we'll get at least a couple inches anyway.

Archived