• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2/3 Event - Disco., Nowcasting, and Obs.

wxmeddler

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are the last 17 accumulating snow events for DCA (since 1/26/11),....I'm pretty sure we are properly conditioned to be let down...Sure..there will be some brief disappointment, but we know the drill

1/28/11 - 0.6"

2/9/11 - 0.1"

2/21-22/11 - 0.4"

3/27/11 - 0.2"

1/9/12 - 0.6"

1/20-21/12 - 1.1"

2/11-12/12 - 0.3"

12/26/12 - 0.2"

1/24/13 - 0.4"

1/25/13 - 0.4"

1/28/13 - 0.1"

2/1/13 - 0.2"

2/2/13 - 0.2"

3/6/13 - 0.2"

3/25/13 - 1.4"

12/8/13 - 0.6"

12/10/13 - 0.9"

depressing :(

oh yeah? I assumed Id be too far west to see the good stuff.

Models are getting wetter with the early band of precip up here before 0z. Temps will not be a problem for you.  Snow should stick for us right away. It will be a close call on bands that develop later, but history says you be good. I wouldn't be surprised if northern md wakes up to temps around 5 degrees. My guess is 3-4 inches is a good bet.

Models are getting wetter with the early band of precip up here before 0z. Temps will not be a problem for you.  Snow should stick for us right away. It will be a close call on bands that develop later, but history says you be good. I wouldn't be surprised if northern md wakes up to temps around 5 degrees. My guess is 3-4 inches is a good bet.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about temps. Even if we make it above freezing, which I think we will (though not by much), it should stick pretty quickly. I worry about the gradient.

who am I kidding? I'm not worried at all, it will snow however much it snows.

They might eke out a 0.3" 

I think I am going with 0.7" for now since they haven't recorded one in the last 17 events, but maybe that is too ambitious...we both know I can measure 1" on a picnic table and DCA will pop out a 0.4"

Yeah, I'm not too worried about temps. Even if we make it above freezing, which I think we will (though not by much), it should stick pretty quickly. I worry about the gradient.

who am I kidding? I'm not worried at all, it will snow however much it snows.

Yeah, no point in getting caught up in the details just enjoy the event. I'm thinking we might luck out with the initial band and pick up a quick inch or so before others but that's just a hunch.

Yeah, no point in getting caught up in the details just enjoy the event. I'm thinking we might luck out with the initial band and pick up a quick inch or so before others but that's just a hunch.

in my experience thus far, that seems to happen every time.

DCA 37... right... its laughable at times how they are constantly 4 to 6 degrees warmer than surrounding reporting stations at times

From the Wundermap obs, DCA is within 2 degrees of many surrounding stations on this side of the pond, but the airport is closest to the Potomac. It's funny how my Weatherwise Instruments station has been right in line with DCA since I have installed it back in September.

you think we can get a band once the temps plummet into the 20s?

It sure looks like they will. How much falls is a wildcard. And if it's windy all bets are off. 

Sitting @ 34 here. Cautiously optimistic for 1-2" here. And most importantly.....it will stick on the streets....for once. 

The details is what makes things so interesting. :)

Archived