joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Early January Major/Potential Record Cold

Hoosier

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I left the snow drifted up against our attached garage's door last night....I know our tread/seem is in horrible shape and has gaps galore....So I let the snow be the insulator there as our kids bedrooms are right above the garage and I wanted to try and keep it a little warmer....It actually worked decently as it is warmer in our garage now then it was during the arctic outbreak in early December.

You would think that if I put that much thought and effort into doing the above.....that I would have just gone to the store and put a new tread on by now.....nah, too easy....where's the fun in that?!  lol

The wind has blowing mine inwards and letting it get drafty. Nice coating of snow along the inside walls. I've tried to prop it shut... not sure if its helping. Used the snow that drifted inside to seal up the gaps.

I left a potted agastache plant(zone 6 hardy) inside my unattached garage this winter.  Last year it would have sailed through winter, but this year it's being tested.  During December the lowest temperature inside the garage was 14.  This morning it is 7.  For added protection I threw a sheet over the plant and even put a pot of hot water under the sheet.  I don't want to lose the plant.

I have a potted pine tree siting out in the yard...be interesting to see if its dead this spring.   My garage I think was warmer, because that is after i moved the can outside for a few minutes that it was -8F...so it probably was closer to 0F in there, but who knows.  I have a ton of potted plants in the garage (trees) that i protect.   They usually do just fine in there.  My tunnel is saying 38.7F right now...

-14F here...warming up.  

Archived