SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Early January Major/Potential Record Cold

Hoosier

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geos, what do you mean anti drift system? Wanna lend it out? Ha.

A couple pages back I posted a few pictures of what I did along my driveway. I shoveled two paths to create a 3 ridge system to help deflect the wind and any snow blowing across the surface away from the driveway. Before on a night like this it would just drift across half way or even more.

-40 wind chills have made it to the MS river now.  -40 at Dubuque and -38 at Clinton and -37 at DVN. 

Some amazingly dry air advecting in as well.  Dews over Iowa are between -20 and -30.  Incredible air mass.

I was looking at forecast soundings earlier and I noticed that the progged pwats across the area for tomorrow were like a few hundredths.

I was looking at forecast soundings earlier and I noticed that the progged pwats across the area for tomorrow were like a few hundredths.

That's incredible. 

Dropped 3 degrees since 10:30.  Down to -10 and steadily falling.  MLI at -9.  Cheap midnight high is likely to be -10 or -11.

EDIT:  See that Hawkeye has a wind chill of -40.

-11 at midnight here, which more than likely will be the high for the day.  MLI was -9 just before midnight.  Temp decline here has slowed a bit recently, as the coldest of the 850s has pretty much made it in.  Looking upstream it looks like the temp decline also slowed up quite a bit once the coldest 850s moved in.  Strongest CAA is now east of here. 

Archived