joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2-3 Winter Storm Potential

Ralph Wiggum

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ray...to borrow a phrase from the financial world would you say NWS and most media forecasts have already "priced in" any high ratio bonus in terms of final accumulations? Thanks for your insight

It's starting to get ridiculous.

years ago, even storms predicted to get over a foot never caused this much panic. 

"OMG...MILK AND BREAD....MILK AND BREAD."   (....and maybe eggs too) 

Latest Wxsim with 12z data has slightly increased QPF for NW Chester County - it has snow arriving later this afternoon and getting moderate by 7pm and then heavy by 10pm some lighter snow late night and then another period of Moderate snow during the 2 to 4am timeframe. Total accumulations now between 7.5" to 9.0"

Interesting to note that the NWS map has decreased totals for NW Chesco to 4 to 6" while Wxsim has increased totals - I will defer to the professionals at Mt Holly! Should be interesting to see how this plays out later

Latest Wxsim with 12z data has slightly increased QPF for NW Chester County - it has snow arriving later this afternoon and getting moderate by 7pm and then heavy by 10pm some lighter snow late night and then another period of Moderate snow during the 2 to 4am timeframe. Total accumulations now between 7.5" to 9.0"

I wonder, on a % percentage basis, what accuracy modeling has had from 120 hours out, to 24. Someone had to do a study.

As I detest model hugging, the manic up and down sine curve swings, storm/no storm, the panic it causes in those who live and die by these poor initialization biased tools, I would like everyone to think about the first question.

That said, I love the mesoscale options, but it almost seems playing darts with a blindfold, is as accurate as modeling gets. In the interim, when they get the "bias" and the need to "blend" out of modeling, how about surface maps and soundings to get to the how much will be IMBY. It is at least as accurate as nowcasting.

BTW, Philly Metro was supposed to hit 38 degrees today. It never went above freezing, and is now at 30.1 degrees, heavy overcast. I mention that to DC Mike as cold air is on the way. I noticed he already had light winds out of the North.

New warnings out from Mt. Holly for counties previously only under WWA:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
159 PM EST THU JAN 2 2014

...A WINTER STORM WILL IMPACT THE AREA WITH SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW
TONIGHT INTO TOMORROW...

.LOW PRESSURE JUST OFF THE MID ATLANTIC COAST WITH STRENGTHEN
RAPIDLY TONIGHT AND TRACK NORTHEASTWARD AWAY FROM OUR AREA FRIDAY
MORNING. AS THIS OCCURS...SNOW WILL DEVELOP ACROSS THE ENTIRE
AREA TONIGHT THEN TAPER OFF LATE FRIDAY MORNING OR MIDDAY FRIDAY.
A DANGEROUSLY COLD AIRMASS WILL OVERSPREAD THE AREA TONIGHT AND
FRIDAY AS THE STORM INTENSIFIES OUT TO SEA.

DEZ002-MDZ008-012-015-020-NJZ023-024-030500-
/O.UPG.KPHI.WW.Y.0001.140102T2300Z-140103T1800Z/
/O.EXA.KPHI.WS.W.0001.140102T2300Z-140103T1800Z/
KENT-CECIL-KENT MD-QUEEN ANNES-CAROLINE-CAPE MAY-
ATLANTIC COASTAL CAPE MAY-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...DOVER...ELKTON...CHESTERTOWN...
CENTREVILLE...DENTON...CAPE MAY COURT HOUSE...OCEAN CITY
159 PM EST THU JAN 2 2014

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 1 PM
EST FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WARNING FOR SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM
6 PM THIS EVENING TO 1 PM EST FRIDAY. THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY
IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* LOCATIONS...SOUTHERN TIP OF NEW JERSEY AND MUCH OF THE DELMARVA
AREA EXCLUDING TALBOT COUNTY MARYLAND AND SUSSEX COUNTY DELAWARE.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW ALONG WITH AREAS OF BLOWING AND DRIFTING
SNOW.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 6 INCHES.

* TIMING...PRECIPITATION SHOULD START AS RAIN OR RAIN SNOW MIX
LATE THIS AFTERNOON BEFORE CHANGING TO SNOW THIS EVENING. THE
BULK OF THE SNOW IS EXPECTED OVERNIGHT INTO FRIDAY MORNING.

* IMPACTS...TRAVEL WILL BECOME HAZARDOUS TONIGHT AS SNOW BEGINS
TO ACCUMULATE AND TEMPERATURES PLUNGE INTO THE 20S. THE SNOW
LATE AT NIGHT WILL BE FLUFFY AND AS WINDS INCREASE...BLOWING
AND DRIFTING SNOW MAY ADD TO THE WINTER TRAVEL HAZARDS. CAR
DOOR LOCKS MAY FREEZE LOCKED IF UNATTENDED OUTDOORS TONIGHT.

* WINDS...NORTH 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 40 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...LOWS BY DAYBREAK FRIDAY NEAR 15 WITH WIND CHILL
JUST BELOW ZERO.

* VISIBILITIES...LESS THAN ONE HALF OF A MILE AT TIMES IN SNOW
LATER TONIGHT.

I think coastal NJ will jackpot believe it or not, they get into the real heavy stuff, especially as the low pulls away. 

You might be right. Every single piece of guidance has that enhancement for E-C NJ. The wind may take its toll on the ratio-aspect but they will make up for that in banding. Most guidance has the NW zones exceeding 20:1 ratios tomorrow morning. Got to watch those pivoting bands. The fluff will add up quickly, pending winds which can offset delicate dendrite growth.

I wonder, on a % percentage basis, what accuracy modeling has had from 120 hours out, to 24. Someone had to do a study.

As I detest model hugging, the manic up and down sine curve swings, storm/no storm, the panic it causes in those who live and die by these poor initialization biased tools, I would like everyone to think about the first question.

That said, I love the mesoscale options, but it almost seems playing darts with a blindfold, is as accurate as modeling gets. In the interim, when they get the "bias" and the need to "blend" out of modeling, how about surface maps and soundings to get to the how much will be IMBY. It is at least as accurate as nowcasting.

BTW, Philly Metro was supposed to hit 38 degrees today. It never went above freezing, and is now at 30.1 degrees, heavy overcast. I mention that to DC Mike as cold air is on the way. I noticed he already had light winds out of the North.

tell us more

You might be right. Every single piece of guidance has that enhancement for E-C NJ. The wind may take its toll on the ratio-aspect but they will make up for that in banding. Most guidance has the NW zones exceeding 20:1 ratios tomorrow morning. Got to watch those pivoting bands. The fluff will add up quickly, pending winds which can offset delicate dendrite growth.

Never knew wind could actually hinder dendrite growth - you always learn something here. Thanks

Archived