• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Big Snow Threat Disco Jan2/3

Damage In Tolland

Well..as 90% of us get ready for another rainer..it's time to look forward to the frigid month of January and hopefully wire to wire snows.

For many days modeling and ensembles have been keying on the Jan 2 into 3rd timeframe for a big snow event for most of the east coast.  

We're finally into the time range where we can begin to break things down .

As of now it looks like it would start on the 2nd and end sometime on the 3rd. 

Looks to be a big qpf producer..and with the PV located where it is..we're not going to see ann inland runner.

Snow

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've liked the 1/3 period for a while. Mentioned it in the pattern thread yesterday too.

There's a few ways the threat could evolve...but there's going to be some energy riding down the eastern side of the western ridge which will frequently turn into something trackable.

I've liked the 1/3 period for a while. Mentioned it in the pattern thread yesterday too.

There's a few ways the threat could evolve...but there's going to be some energy riding down the eastern side of the western ridge which will frequently turn into something trackable.

What are the options in your mind?

1)Redevelopiong clipper?

2) Overrunning as moisture from sw is forced up and over PV/cold?

What are the options in your mind?

1)Redevelopiong clipper?

2) Overrunning as moisture from sw is forced up and over PV/cold?

Both are possible...an uglier scenario could be a more phased cutter...but even then I think we'd see wintry precip on the front end.

The clipper idea is the direction the Euro wants to go at the moment, but I'm not discounting some energy and moisture from the south yet.

There's also multiple shortwaves in the flow...you could get a clipper on 1/2 and a larger SWFE event on 1/4 or something...its probably going to take another day or so for the models to resolve exactly what gets "spit out" under the PV in this time frame.

It's a classic system really, Ultimately ends up as an over runner but 1/4/94 seems a decent analog.

that would give parts of western PA over 2 feet of snow. I don't know if this system is going to be able to produce that type of QPF. Anyway my forum is dead and I have been following this one since you guys have some good insight.

I honestly like this threat much better than the 29th threat.  For obvious reasons this one is a much more favorable situation evolving than the lack of cold air rainstorm that is about to embarked on New England south of the MA Pike.  This is much more favorable situation as the Polar Vortex moves towards the 50/50 low position and we get some form of ridging in Greenland.  This should block this storm from going up the APPS and into the Great Lakes, more so the fact is this will travel in a clipper track and pull some GOM moisture, I think it has the possibility of being a weaker version of the JAN 2005 KU.

I honestly like this threat much better than the 29th threat.  For obvious reasons this one is a much more favorable situation evolving than the lack of cold air rainstorm that is about to embarked on New England south of the MA Pike.  This is much more favorable situation as the Polar Vortex moves towards the 50/50 low position and we get some form of ridging in Greenland.  This should block this storm from going up the APPS and into the Great Lakes, more so the fact is this will travel in a clipper track and pull some GOM moisture, I think it has the possibility of being a weaker version of the JAN 2005 KU.

:axe: :axe: dah!!!!

Keep dreaming.

Dude, please.

Archived