• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Your 2013 Favorite Weather Events

Chicago WX

It's about that time for the year end review. And with that, what was everyone's favorite weather events of 2013. 

For me, IMBY...just a top 5.

1) November 17 tornado outbreak

2) March 24-25 snowstorm

3) December 13-14 snowstorm

4) April heavy rainfall/flooding (18-19th in particular)

5) March 5-6 snowstorm

These are my top 5 weather events according to personal experiences. The last one is obviously not in this region.

1. November 17th Tornado Outbreak

2. February 7-8 Snowstorm

3. December 13-14 Snowstorm

4. 4/17-4/18 Heavy Rain/Flooding

5. July 10 Thunderstorm Complex (Huntsville, AL – Beautiful lightning show for over an hour)

February Snowstorms on 2/7 and 2/26-28.

Having snow cover March 1-26th was impressive.

The late July cool spell was enjoyable.

Water spouts on Lake Michigan on 9/12.

Thunderstorm activity wasn't real exciting, but the best month for that here was in June. Had some picturesque storms with rainbows. 6/28.

The MCS on 9/1 that put on a great cloud show right before sunset.

*Note: not in any particular order.

-June 24 50-60mph winds with severe storms. 

-The two PDS tornado watches we were under, even though they largely busted in the QCA. 

-Intense September heat, with a few days approaching 100.

-October 22 daytime snow event.  Only measured about an inch, but much more likely fell and melted due to very warm ground/daytime.

Locally:

1. July 19th severe thunderstorm - major damage, wall cloud over Waterloo 74mph+ winds

2. December ice storm - major damage

3. April ice storm - major damage 

4. February snow storm - 1.3 feet of snow

5. Kitchener/Waterloo flash flood in June - south Kitchener under water

Runner up: mid September downpour with unexpected 4.60 inches in the eve - the sound of the rainfall was thunderous

Second runner up: early June Topeka, Kansas hail storm - tennis balls

These are all events IMBY or that I personally witnessed locally.

December 21-22 Ice Storm

August 7th tornado (Arthur, ON)

July 8th flooding (Toronto, ON)

Feb 7-8th snowstorm

The Arthur tornado was the first tornado I've witnessed live on the internet in Ontario. Also the Toronto flood. That really was something else. Just google image search: Toronto flood. Was unprecedented. 

Torontoflooding-668x501.jpg

Arthur tornado from Dave Patrick:

Tornado1-e1375916038973.jpg

Was in Kansas when this happened, but the Queen Victoria week 5.2 earthquake in Ontario/Quebec probably stands as a significant moment in 2013. Exposing much hyped about significant earthquake risk to this region, as it came 3 years after the major earthquake in 2010. So much has happened across Southern Ontario this year it's phenomenal.

It's about that time for the year end review. And with that, what was everyone's favorite weather events of 2013. 

2) March 24-25 snowstorm

5) March 5-6 snowstorm

Surprised that you, a dedicated winter lover, put the tornado outbreak first.  ;) 

My list would probably look like yours.

lol, I knew you were going to say that. But, how could I not put November 17th #1? Pretty cool event.

Kinda hard to compare different types of events but imo the tornado outbreak was more anomalous than the March 24-25 snowstorm, which would be saying something considering how rare it is to get that large of a snowstorm that late in the year.

This is tough...

1. The Carney, OK wedge tornado on 5/19/13 (Have seen tornadoes on that day 3 of the last 4 years) the motion with that tornado was something I've never seen.

2. The 6/11/13 northern IL HIGH risk. Looked like a major bust until we found a needle in a haystack tornado in extreme NW IL, with amazing supercell structure to go with it.

3. The early March snowstorm, picked up just over 9".

4. Saw 3 tornadoes west of Dallas on 5/15/13.

5. The mid April flooding event here.

Honestly, I don't have much memory of any specific storm events.  It has just been a long time since we've had a noteworthy severe storm or winter storm.  We're in a multi-year rut in that regard.  My weather memories from this year have to do with general patterns.

- Cold and snowy late winter through early Spring.  By far the snowiest March in many years.

- Very wet April/May/June.  I got 8+ inches of rain each month.

- Very dry late summer.  Over a seven week period I only received a third of an inch of rain.

- September heat.  Cedar Rapids hit 100 for the second straight year after going the previous 15 years without hitting 100.

- Good start to winter, in sharp contrast to the last two non-existent starts.

2) March 24-25 snowstorm

5) March 5-6 snowstorm

Surprised that you, a dedicated winter lover, put the tornado outbreak first.  ;)

My list would probably look like yours.

My list would be the same, just maybe in a different order. One other event I would add on a personal level would be the June 22nd severe, where I watched a microburst rip the roof off of a building.

Overall, a pretty boring year as others have said, at least for exciting events.

My top 5 (some arent one specific event, as you will see)....

1.) December 14th snowstorm (8.4" - biggest storm since Feb 20, 2011)

3626-800.jpg

2.) I-94 Lake Magnet whiteouts (several instances Jan-Feb)

3446-800.jpg

3.) August 12th spaceship storm cloud

3556-800.jpg

4.) Comfortable summer & its lush green landscape (pic July 1st)

3554-800.jpg

5.) Yet another snowy February (4 of Detroits top 8 snowiest Februaries are since 2008!)

3456-800.jpg

There weren't a whole lot of noteworthy events IMBY, but if I had to make a list, it would consist of:

1. July 19th-20th Severe Weather Event.

2. August 30th Severe Weather Event.

3. September 11th Severe Weather Event.

4. February 26th-27th Snow Event

5. January 27th-28th Snow/Ice Event

This was one of the more active and exciting years in recent memory for Toronto. The big dogs are obvious (and have already been mentioned)

1. December 21-22 ice storm

2. July 8 flood

3. February 8 snow storm

Honourable mention to:

4. Mid April ice storm. Not a big deal in Toronto but it's always interesting when you get any ice accrual in the spring.

5. Numerous easterly flow LEH/LES events, including meso-lows. My fav being on Feb 16th.

6. Mid July heatwave. Wasn't the hottest stuff ever but in a pretty subdued summer heat wise it was at least noticeable.

Also, 2013 will go down as the second wettest year ever at YYZ.

Archived