joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2014 General Discussion

Powerball

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got the craziest white-out which I posted in this thread: http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/42299-monday-through-wednesday-lake-effect-snow-event/#entry2624283

I'm not sure where to post these but anyways. I'm in total blizzard conditions, its incredible. All the windows of the house are just being plastered like never before and even freezing in a odd way. The windows are fogging up like I've never seen them do either, its getting hard to look out.

get ready for plain ole rain by Friday cyclone... hope we trend a bit colder....hate to lose our snow.

The bottom layers are probably solid ice by now due to thaw/rain/freeze/repeat cycles.  Definitely should have some staying power.  Without some fresh snow it will only get uglier as time goes on though.  Maybe the QC can get in the middle of one of these snowstorms later this season instead of being on the fringes.  Time will tell.

Temperatures have trended down in the next 3 days. Now 11°/-6° for tomorrow, 24°/0° for Thursday, and 35°/20° for Friday with RN/SN.

EDIT: Do people know the Chicago tradition - if you shovel out a parking space, then place an object there in order to save it for yourself!? Well WGN took it a little far and it turned out pretty funny.

http://morningnews.wgntv.com/2014/01/07/pat-takes-chicagos-parking-dibs-to-the-extreme/

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL
655 PM CST TUE JAN 7 2014 /755 PM EST TUE JAN 7 2014/

..ONE OF THE SNOWIEST WEEKS ON RECORD TO START 2014

FROM DECEMBER 30TH THROUGH JANUARY 5TH...CHICAGO SAW 23.1 INCHES
OF SNOWFALL AT THE OFFICIAL MEASURING SITE OF OHARE INTERNATIONAL
AIRPORT. ALMOST ALL OF THIS SNOW FELL IN TWO MAJOR EVENTS WITH
10.9 INCHES OVER THE NEW YEAR FROM DECEMBER 31ST-JANUARY 2ND...AND
11.7 INCHES ON JANUARY 4TH-5TH. THE TOTAL OF 23.1 INCHES OVER A
SEVEN DAY SPAN WAS ONE OF THE HIGHEST OBSERVED WEEKLY TOTALS DATING
BACK TO 1884 AND THE HIGHEST SINCE THE WEEK OF THE GROUNDHOG DAY
BLIZZARD.

RANK SNOWFALL WEEK
-------------------------------------------
1. 29.9 IN. JAN 25-FEB 1 1967
2. 26.0 IN. FEB 1-7 2011
3. 25.6 IN. JAN 11-17 1979
4. 24.8 IN. JAN 6-12 1918
5. 23.6 IN. JAN 1-7 1999
6. 23.2 IN. DEC 14-20 1951
7. 23.1 IN. DEC 30 2013-JAN 5 2014
8. 20.9 IN. MAR 28-APR 3 1926
9. 20.4 IN. DEC 13-19 1973
10. 19.5 IN. MAR 25-31 1930

THE ABOVE LIST HAS EXCLUSIVE SEVEN DAY TOTALS IN THAT IT DOES NOT
INCLUDE OVERLAPPING SEVEN DAY SPANS WHICH WOULD ACCOUNT FOR SOME
OF THE SAME SNOWFALLS.

A NOTEWORTHY ASPECT OF THE RECENT SNOWY WEEK FROM DEC 30TH-JAN 5TH
IS THAT THERE WERE TWO SIMILAR MAGNITUDE SNOWFALL EVENTS. IN
CONTRAST...ALL TOP FIVE OF THE SNOWIEST WEEKS IN THE PAST CENTURY
IN CHICAGO INCLUDED TOP TEN SNOW STORMS. ALL OF THESE SNOW STORMS
CONTRIBUTED TO AT LEAST 70 PERCENT OF THAT WEEKLY SNOWFALL EXCEPT
FOR THE WEEK OF JAN 6TH-12TH 1918...WHICH HAD 14.9 INCHES ON JAN
6TH-7TH AND 9.9 INCHES ON JAN 11TH-12TH.

TO SHOW HOW SNOWY OF A WEEK CHICAGO RECENTLY HAD...THERE HAVE
ACTUALLY BEEN 14 SNOWFALL SEASONS THAT HAD LESS TOTAL SNOW THAN
THE WEEK OF DEC 30TH THROUGH JAN 5TH ALONE! THIS INCLUDES THE 19.8
INCHES THAT FELL THE ENTIRE 2011-2012 SNOWFALL SEASON.

WHILE THERE ARE SOME SMALL CHANCES FOR SNOWFALL THIS WEEK...A BREAK
IN APPRECIABLE SNOW IS EXPECTED THROUGH THE REST OF THIS WEEK. 

Drifting snow is getting serious around these parts. Some piles on the side of the road are approaching 6' high and still growing. As for me super busy and loving it. Went from plowing, stacking piles, hauling it away and finishing with salting when the temps moderate.

Drifting snow is getting serious around these parts. Some piles on the side of the road are approaching 6' high and still growing. As for me super busy and loving it. Went from plowing, stacking piles, hauling it away and finishing with salting when the temps moderate.

These are the most severe winter weather conditions in my memory. For the 2nd straight day, my normally 7-10 commute took 30+ minutes as traffic crawled at 15mph on the ice laden tundra that used to be a major street. Of course, the massive snowbanks that are everywhere made for a calming sight during the white knuckle commute. Although the snow depth is a little lower than the peak depth in 1999, I would argue that the winter scenes to the "naked eye" are probably the deepest looking snow I can ever remember for here. Perhaps its because my memory of 1999 is a bit foggy outside of the general deep snow (I was 15 at the time), or perhaps its since the current snow is a product of back-to-back large snowstorms (11.6" and 10.3") as opposed to 1999s big storm of 12" followed by a parade of 2-4" snows, this years 2 big storms making the plowed snow all the more impressive. The drifting of snow has been crazy as its been nonstop. The snow has a water content of about 1.7" so its a packed powder for sure. My moms cousin lives in Maybee, a rural town in Monroe county (about halfway between Detroit and Toledo) and they are basically snowbound with the country drifing. She said the mayor said only emergency situations will be allowed for travel in or out of Maybee, otherwise stay inside until they can clear the town of the massive drifting.

Detroits record books are now beseiged by 2014 for the first week of January. After just missing the record snow by a measly 0.6" on January 1st, Detroit broke records for record snow (10.2") on the 5th, record low on the 6th (-14F), record low on the 7th (-14F) and should establish a new record cold max for the 7th, though the high may very well be set at 11pm.

Its also crazy to think that at 38.5" of snow, we are but 4 inches away from average for the ENTIRE SEASON..and the season is statistically only about 30% over.

Few pics from the tundra this morning. I normally hate snowblown snow, but when its deep like this it can look cool.

3725-800.jpg

3726-800.jpg

3727-800.jpg

Stormy weather...

While my area didnt get a lick of ice with the December 21 storm, we have already had snowstorms of 8.4", 11.6", and 10.3" imby. And its EARLY JANUARY. The official DTW totals for the storms were 7.7", 11.1", and 11.0". Detroit had NEVER before had a winter with 3 storms of 7"+ by this point. In fact, never a winter with three 6"+ storms by this point. Climatologically we have 70% of the snow season to go, but just 4 inches to get to average. Now...there is certainly the possibility that we peter out into a blah rest of winter (though even the most stagnant winter pattern would guarentee an above normal snow season...if we dont get 4 inches of snow in the next 3+ months, I will delete all my weather board accounts and ditch the hobby altogether lol)....but if ever there were a chance to have an EPIC winter, this is one hell of a way to start it.

Archived