Newest Member
    joxey
January 2014 General Discussion

Powerball

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep. Next up, COLD clipper parade..

And ya know, I'm cool with clipper parades instead of large systems. I like the frequency better! Lots of ice building tho that takes away some of the clipper enhancements, but should still be a snowy week.

Boyne trip!! :snowing::sled:

skiing and riding are at season peaks right now. Snow is great and deep in Far NW lower! I think favored snow belts should see at least a foot this week... starting tomorrow

Indiana stats thread. If you want to of course. :D

Eh, you do a good job of keeping up with that. I'll let you update them with the top ten later after the snow has ended. I just posted those because Joe posted ORD's.

Another interesting stat for FWA, they are experiencing their second snowiest winter to date through yesterday with 29.9". The record for 1/17 was 1981-82 with 32.6". With a couple more inches today, they should inch closer to the record snow to date. Unfortunately, there are no large snow producers forecast for the next week, so they may lose pace.

EDIT: I just checked and the 29.9" is for met winter. They got another inch before December for a total of 30.9".

I don't see how you cope with that. Do you need to own a monster truck or a tank to get to work?

Some of our snow plows have gotten stuck in a foot or less here.

lol.... I have an old 1969 Bolens tractor that was my Grandpa's, and it has a nice heavy duty blower on it.... It is nothing to drive around with 6"on the roads all day ( I have a Silverado and a Traverse, both do well). Villages are for the most part kept up with.... I was told the number of snow plows were cut by 75% in Antrim Co in 2008. Lots of locals have their own plows too. I'd say more than half of trucks sport a plow through Winter. Yesterday we were forecasted 40% flurries, and got 2" of snow. Even when it isn't suppose to snow, it snows. :lol:

Mid March thru April is tuff... not gonna lie.

down to a 3/4 mile in snow this morning...2-4" today.

maybe 5-8" by 1 tomorrow.

DTW as of 4pm for the month of January.

1. 29.6 1978

2. 27.3 1999

3. 26.9 2005

4. 26.2 2014

With 13 days to go, we should have no problem eclipsing #1.

For the season we are at 42.9"

Been a great winter so far !!! Happy all of my snow contracts are by the visit. Many of the seasonal guys are in a panic because they are loosing their shirts with the amount of salting and work involved this winter. I'm hoping for the streak to continue to teach the low ballers a lesson and to wipe all of the non professionals from the business.

We have had a few larger storms this season but still waiting for something epic !!!

Been a great winter so far !!! Happy all of my snow contracts are by the visit. Many of the seasonal guys are in a panic because they are loosing their shirts with the amount of salting and work involved this winter. I'm hoping for the streak to continue to teach the low ballers a lesson and to wipe all of the non professionals from the business.

We have had a few larger storms this season but still waiting for something epic !!!

Yeah I hear you on something really huge, although 2 10" storms within a week is pretty rare. If we happen to get a storm over 14" this could go down as one of the best winters ever for the area.

Point for today is 35.  Could be the last time we get above freezing for quite some time.  Only 5 forecast for a high on Tue.  This snow pack is going nowhere.  Haven't seen the grass since the morning of Dec 8th, or 6 weeks ago.  Just 6 days before that I mowed/mulched leaves for the last time lol.  Been an excellent winter here if persistent snow cover is your thing.

While the clipper, as expected, skirted to the south, still the flakes flew pretty much all night, and we slowly added another 0.3", after 0.1" yesterday morning and 0.1" the night before. It wants to slowly snow even in the downtime. DTW is at 26.5" in January and 43.2" on the season, I am at 26.3" in January and 43.2" on the season.

Last nights snow gave that absolute shimmer to the snowpack, the kind you usually only see a few times a year. Glittery, shimmery, sparkly, glistening... call it what you want, but no pic does it justice.

3772-800.jpg

3771-800.jpg

Fluff from yesterday really blowing around here today. Might have to put a I-65 closure on stand by.

And of course, I rail against op models past 6 days...but boy oh boy at the 12z GFS from 300-336 hours. One can dream. :D

I've always been a big believer in the GFS past 300 hours.

Archived