Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2014 General Discussion

Powerball

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the roads clearing up and it feeling downright balmy outside, I had my camera with me today as I ran some errands, and took tons of pics. Not a fan of the mild air, rain, fog, etc...but from a look perspective, I like the murky gray days that most others despise, if for nothing else it reminds me of deep winter in Michigan. And even though for the first time in over a week the roadside snow is getting a bit dirty, its nice to see the deep mounds everywhere.

3737-800.jpg

3738-800.jpg

3739-800.jpg

3740-800.jpg

3741-800.jpg

3742-800.jpg

3743-800.jpg

3744-800.jpg

3745-800.jpg

3746-800.jpg

10 more....

Temps remaining steady at 5c near pearson. Fog density increasing now, still have about a 4-5" of snowpack over grassy areas. Thick layer of ice remaining in tact beneath the snow cover.

SPECI CYYZ 111850Z 18005KT 1/8SM R06L/0900FT/N R05/1200FT/N -DZRA FG VV001 05/05 A2922 RMK FG8 SLP900

Temperatures at my house are 4.3C right now. I still have about 22cm on the ground. Only lost 5cm as of 2pm today.  In fact, I still have mounds of slush on my driveway, that I didnt shovel this past week because it froze over lol. 

Actually had 1.03" of rain with this departing system.

Wind all of a sudden picked up. A lot of people out today. Not surprising since everyone has been couped up inside for the last week.

Looks like some sun might try to peak through in north central IL.

wisgif32.jpg

How much you got? I had about 8" when I left my folks' house on Monday. Probably 3" of pre-icestorm glacier remains.

I have about 4-6" left. Had about 8-9" a couple of days ago.

Evident temperature gradient between Toronto area, with an onshore flow, and temps in the upper 30s/low 40s and the Niagara peninsula/WNY where downsloping has pushed temps into the low 50s in some locales.

That often seems to be the case. I find that Buffalo, for example, often reports much higher temperatures than Toronto during a winter thaw.

We lost about half of our snowpack. When will I ever learn lol...we ALWAYS lose more snow than I expect in these thaws axesmiley.gif . Calling depth 7"...though it literally ranges from 4-10" with a few bare spots and a few drifts over a foot. Snowpiles everywhere are obviously still massive (and now dirty) but even they are noticeably smaller than they were yesterday. After the 0.7" of WAA snow we had 0.57" of rain. And exactly like the pre-Christmas "torch" that wiped out our 8" snowcover....this "torch" that cut our snowcover from 14" to 7" never exceeded the low 40s...but those agonizing hours on end of temps/dews in the upper 30s to near 40F with rain/fog are just as bad.

I have about 4-6" left. Had about 8-9" a couple of days ago.

That often seems to be the case. I find that Buffalo, for example, often reports much higher temperatures than Toronto during a winter thaw.

Downsloping winds do that quite often here. They rise over the hills to the south the air sinks and warms right around the Niagara Frontier including Metro Buffalo. We nearly hit 60 today. I went out in a t-shirt this afternoon. ^_^

Whaaat?

55* sorry. Yeah down sloping winds off the hills to the south cause high temperatures to explode around these parts in winter thaws. Only if get winds out of the S/SSW does this happen. I enjoy the thaws, it breaks up the ice off lake Erie so we can get more Lake Effect and gives relieve from the brutal cold.

Archived