• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Carvers Gap

You know, some regions have lawn and garden threads.  I think in the Tennessee Valley, we have so much to offer in terms of abundant natural resources such as our rivers, rolling hills, Cumberland Plateau, and Smoky Mountains.  With this being a weather board and the outdoor activities being dependent on weather, I think it appropriate to share pics and stories of our experiences in the Great Valley with a weather twist.  Carry on.

Carvers Gap

post-769-0-27573100-1387847199_thumb.jpg

The Garden

post-769-0-65332000-1387847198_thumb.jpg

Cherokee Lake on a Tennessee Saturday Night

post-769-0-72011300-1387847197_thumb.jpg

Rocky Top

post-769-0-03427100-1387847197_thumb.jpg

Frozen Doe River

post-769-0-56799900-1387847247_thumb.jpg

Buttercrunch

post-769-0-13034200-1387847248_thumb.jpg

I am not one for lake fishing or doing much on the lakes in the area, but I love smallmouth fishing in the creeks on the Plateau, Stinking Creek and Tackett Creek here in Campbell County are surprisingly fun even with massive coal mining for years. I also love the Obed watershed in Morgan County. Clear Creek is particularly fun in the middle of summer.

I am not one for lake fishing or doing much on the lakes in the area, but I love smallmouth fishing in the creeks on the Plateau, Stinking Creek and Tackett Creek here in Campbell County are surprisingly fun even with massive coal mining for years. I also love the Obed watershed in Morgan County. Clear Creek is particularly fun in the middle of summer.

I do 90% of my fishing in rivers. Wade most of the time. This wx hobby gives me an advantage. I have learned to paint my own poppers with the fish scale pattern. I use the fly rod on the S. Fork of the Holston. Lots of big browns and rainbows. I like using a spinning rod for smallmouth.

I do 90% of my fishing in rivers. Wade most of the time. This wx hobby gives me an advantage. I have learned to paint my own poppers with the fish scale pattern. I use the fly rod on the S. Fork of the Holston. Lots of big browns and rainbows. I like using a spinning rod for smallmouth.

I wade/swim all the time. These aren't bank accessible and you can't slow down enough to fish the holes properly in a boat. I use a tiny spinning reel with 4/14 spider wire. It's something to pull a 3 pound smallmouth out of 12 inches of water.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I went and ate at a catfish place that had a beautiful overlook of the Smoky Mountains and the French Broad River just outside of Sevierville. It is right next to an adventure park where you can zipline and walk out on the sky bridge. I'll have to come back and try the zip-lining!

ene3y5u3.jpgunare7y9.jpgte5y7ate.jpgjuvegygu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Pic of one way I enjoy the great outdoors in Tennessee. I have about 2" here in Marshall county. I need to cut a bunch more after all I've burned this winter. Pic of one way I enjoy the great outdoors in Tennessee. I have about 2" here in Marshall county. I need to cut a bunch more after all I've burned this winter.

Coach, I have always wanted to do my own wood cutting and splitting. Do you go out and get your own wood? Impressive sight. Also, do you have a wood burning stove...you must?

Coach, I have always wanted to do my own wood cutting and splitting. Do you go out and get your own wood? Impressive sight. Also, do you have a wood burning stove...you must?

Actually, I have three stoves. Big wood boiler outside heats the whole house and water.  A nice traditional wood stove in the living room which is my fav, and an old piece of junk in the barn.  We cut and split all our own which I have always enjoyed.  Been tougher lately to do with lots of kids running around, farm work, and a demanding job.  The new wood stoves are incredibly efficient, can provide heat and a place to cook meals during a power outage, and are just nice to have on a cold winters night.  If I don't run the inside stove for a few days the kids will start bugging me to build a fire.  I'd recommend one to just about anyone. 

Everybody complains about electric and propain bills this time of year.  While we just throw another load in and put out feet up by the fire with a 77 degree living room.  Wood stacks are like money in the bank, only better.

• 4 months later...

Headed down that wat to Siesta Key in two weeks....home to the most amazing sunsets ever! This one of many spectacular pics I took in 2011....

Was just south of there. We were in the Sanibel/Captiva area. The southwest coast of FL is very underrated. Stayed on North Captiva which is a different island than Captiva. Have a great trip!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was glad to spot this thread.  Some really nice pics here.

Tennessee is one of most interesting and diverse states to reside in.  The beauty around here goes without saying.  I live for the weekend drives just around the countryside enjoying the great outdoors.  And being so close to an equally beautiful western North Carolina has its perks too.

Here's to the great outdoors in Tennessee, and the new Spring & Summer seasons just around the corner giving us new opportunities to enjoy where we live!  :beer: 

We took the camper to Norris Dam State Park this past weekend and had a friggin blast.  The weather was ideal and there were very few other people around.  We had so much fun we are going back Easter weekend.  If you get a chance and are in that area, go through the Lenoir Museum.  It has a fascinating collection of items from east TN and Appalachian culture.

http://tnstateparks.com/parks/about/norris-dam

nkSKZuD.jpg 

QHPKzdq.jpg

Nice set up there, Stove.  I sure miss my pop-up.  I had one through for about 10 years.  I most enjoyed the "out-of-the-way" places--the small campgrounds few people know about. 

One of my favorite locales when I had my camper was Creek Ridge Campground near Hot Springs, NC.  Beautiful area.  You really feel like your IN the mountains there. 

http://campinghotsprings.com/

Nice set up there, Stove.  I sure miss my pop-up.  I had one through for about 10 years.  I most enjoyed the "out-of-the-way" places--the small campgrounds few people know about. 

One of my favorite locales when I had my camper was Creek Ridge Campground near Hot Springs, NC.  Beautiful area.  You really feel like your IN the mountains there. 

http://campinghotsprings.com/

Awesome, I will definitely look into that place, got it bookmarked.  Feel free to pass along any other great spots you recall.  We've mostly stuck to state parks since the kids are young and the conveniences there are nice at this stage.  As they get older we will branch out to more out of the way places.  Big South Fork is next on the list after Easter.

It's time for my hiking season to start again. I'll hike 3 or 4 evenings a week from April til November. It's easy when your backyard is 400,000 acres of wilderness.

Sounds like my version of heaven to me...

When I lived near Laurel Lake in Whitely Co. KY, my property butted up against the Daniel Boone National Forest.  I couldn't do much hiking, though.  The land quickly dropped from 1220ft. down to near the Lake elevation of 1000ft.  The back edge of my property was pretty much sheer cliffs.  It did make for some beautiful waterfalls and spectacular views, though.  Spent many a day lying back on an old log just listening to the wind in the trees.  As I said--my version of heaven. 

I don't live near wilderness these days, but most of the property here is woods of the oak-hickory variety.  It's certainly something I can live with. 

• 8 months later...