Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2014 pattern discussion

CapturedNature

This is what they have for me...

Jan 16-18: Rainy, mild; Jan 19-22: Snow showers, cold; Jan 23-27: Periods of rain and snow, mild; Jan 28-31: Sunny, cold

It just had better not snow on the Superbowl, else everybody will be saying, 'See, They called it!', despite my arguing with everybody that it cant be done . Guess Ill have to trot out the old 'even  a  clock is right twice a day' argument.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah gave a full mow job aside of the area nearest the back woods where the tree frogs overwinter.  I'm eco-friendly...didn't want to disturb them.  Took 6 bags of clippings.

Just a gorgeous rose colored cheek day.  I can feel the sun I got....mowed in a t-shirt. 

My feeders are anti-parrot. 

On the left you can see my neighbors side lawn....fully treated and professionally maintained.  On the right you can see my lawn, treated only twice a year but meticulously maintained.   It really does look great with a fresh mowing....this may become an annual tradition.

Nothing like the scent of freshly cut grass on a Spring day.

What were you in a copter taking that?

I've grown really tall due to the lesco runoff.   Or 3rd story FTW.

I really just needed to do this cleanup back in November and then it snowed.  Got all the branches and leaves off...and took the tops off some of the last growth.  Now I'm ready for some sledding and snowmen with big burly bellies.

The brutal cold is coming, but this was bugging me all winter.  Ugly green sticking through the snow.

People remember the January 2011s well and the 1994s and 2009s...not the years that had at least one solid thaw or multiple thaws which is more common.

I find this very true ORH. For people outside of the study or profession of wx and a good percentage in. Dec 1989. Cold. Dec 1988...what? when? Dec 1990. Horrible. 6 inches of snow on the 28th then torch. That's my 2 cents on that run. Dec 12th 1992 may be my favorite date of all time for an event in that month. BTW, Your reference to storms and events is very impressive. I've been told that I can recall quite a bit. Reading what you post it is always very interesting so wanted to say thanks. 

I guess the sickos like us remember those torches too. I feel like we remember those because of the snowpack loss. Jan '96, Feb '94, even the  furnace in Feb '11 for us on the coast.  

The 1996 torch catastrophe remains tops for me. 

Then all the mundane torches we never remember like Jan '99 after being near 5F and snowing, Jan '05 (we always forget since the 2nd half overshadowed it), Jan '10 cutter about 5-6 days after MLK storm.

Then you have the list was just plain sh** Januarys like 2002, 2006, 1995, 1992, 1990, 1986, etc.

Then all the mundane torches we never remember like Jan '99 after being near 5F and snowing, Jan '05 (we always forget since the 2nd half overshadowed it), Jan '10 cutter about 5-6 days after MLK storm.

Then you have the list was just plain sh** Januarys like 2002, 2006, 1995, 1992, 1990, 1986, etc.

Jan 12 too-basically a carbon copy of Jan 02 with a one week winter in there, otherwise inferno city.

January 2008 was an epic torch too. I lost about 18-20" of high water content snow in 4 days. It was more muted in NNE where they retained the snowpack (which was deeper to begin with too)

December 1996 was traumatizing as well. Over 2 feet of paste on the landscape after the Cantore Storm...it got wiped out a 3-4 day period leading up to Christmas.

Jan 1996 was already mentioned as was Feb 1994.

Euro ensembles look brutal cold around Jan 26-28...they show a relaxation heading into early February but still below normal temps. A lot of storminess it looks like too coming out of the middle of the country.

Yep, seems to be heading that way hopefully. That's a sick arctic block too. I think if we do get milder, it probably will not last. 

Archived