• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2014 pattern discussion

CapturedNature

The one that dropped 2-3 inches from E NY thru N Ct down to TAN last Monday night  

The one last Friday that dropped 2-3..though that was WAA

Pretty forgettable in light of the subsequent melt-down.

The season started with reasonable progress.  I'm at 32-34 or somethink like that.  But, I can see this becoming a pretty average season in the snowfall department.  Not that anything's wrong with that, but having bare ground in the middle of January is just gross.

25.4/25

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty forgettable in light of the subsequent melt-down.

The season started with reasonable progress.  I'm at 32-34 or somethink like that.  But, I can see this becoming a pretty average season in the snowfall department.  Not that anything's wrong with that, but having bare ground in the middle of January is just gross.

25.4/25

It blows..but what are we gonna do except track each disturbance and hope they can cover the grass

Yep I agree, but you know how it goes here. People will ignore what a lot of us say because everyone wants snow sooner rather than later. I know it sucks to wait, but that's the way it is sometimes. I still like what I see going forward. The trend to bring some relatively milder air back near the beginning of Feb could bode well for you guys.

Funny I see quite a few logical people in here but yet you select a couple that are far from logical and think thats "Everyone".

Lol yeah mental is a different story...

Some peeps look at winter objectively and while we like snow and want snow we take it as face value.

2011-2012 was a game changer. After that winter you appreciate what falls. Life has become too busy for me to whine about snow. There is just a lot more that's important.

2011-2012 was a game changer. After that winter you appreciate what falls. Life has become too busy for me to whine about snow. There is just a lot more that's important.

And I completely agree, that's where I stand as well.

I wish I could take some of these sne folks and have them spend a winter in Charlotte...like i did.... Where just seeing wet snowflakes in the air is an accomplishment.

Frustration is setting in with you. You're starting to act like you did last January..easy does it

I'm a stones throw from my normal snowfall. Not even close to last January. With the way things look downstream and my big snow earlier, I'm sitting here smoking a cigar. I'm not a snowpack snob.

I'm a stones throw from my normal snowfall. Not even close to last January. With the way things look downstream and my big snow earlier, I'm sitting here smoking a cigar. I'm not a snowpack snob.

It's fine and normal to have more important things in life..like family, work etc..but for you or anyone else on here to tell me they'd rather be looking at grass in winter than even 1-2 inches of snowcover..Well that's a flat out lie.  if it's -4 next Friday and there's no snow OTG..the mood in this place is not going to be pretty

It's fine and normal to have more important things in life..like family, work etc..but for you or anyone else on here to tell me they'd rather be looking at grass in winter than even 1-2 inches of snowcover..Well that's a flat out lie.  if it's -4 next Friday and there's no snow OTG..the mood in this place is not going to be pretty

Excellent snowmaking weather, works for me.

It's fine and normal to have more important things in life..like family, work etc..but for you or anyone else on here to tell me they'd rather be looking at grass in winter than even 1-2 inches of snowcover..Well that's a flat out lie. if it's -4 next Friday and there's no snow OTG..the mood in this place is not going to be pretty

Can you imagine someone enjoying snowstorms and then the day or two after...but couldnt care less about snowpack?

HPC having none of it.  almost no qpf 7 days.  sigh....

but then again they were talking coastal on sat a few days ago.   

glad to read this board.

If you think about it...perfectly logical that we would waste the first week to 10 days of the reloaded cold because the progged pattern could rival last winter.

Think about where we were snowfall wise one year ago, and where we are today.

I probably end up with 85" as opposed to 100".

I'll live.

It's fine and normal to have more important things in life..like family, work etc..but for you or anyone else on here to tell me they'd rather be looking at grass in winter than even 1-2 inches of snowcover..Well that's a flat out lie. if it's -4 next Friday and there's no snow OTG..the mood in this place is not going to be pretty

Yes of course. I love snow and wish I could just hibernate through summer to get to winter. My point is that I'm not going to complain if it's bare. It is what it is and obviously snow OTG is better. Ever since last year, I've lost that frustration factor though. It doesn't bother me like it use to. Also, the fact that things look pretty good through February is getting lost. I'm liking what I see.

Can you imagine someone enjoying snowstorms and then the day or two after...but couldnt care less about snowpack?

I don't see why this is tough to understand. Is snow OTG better? Of course, but I'm not used

to wire to wire snowpack. It's not in my climo. Kevin clearly loses it when there is

No snow OTG. I don't.

I don't see why this is tough to understand. Is snow OTG better? Of course, but I'm not used

to wire to wire snowpack. It's not in my climo. Kevin clearly loses it when there is

No snow OTG. I don't.

There is something miserable about sub zero temps and bare, brown, cracked earth underfoot, though...

I mean, will I lose it, no.....not like I would a couple of years ago because I now have a life, but it still blows.

There is something miserable about sub zero temps and bare, brown, cracked earth underfoot, though...

I mean, will I lose it, no.....not like I would a couple of years ago because I now have a life, but it still blows.

I agree, bare ground and frigid cold sucks...but sometimes it happens.

The whining should be relegated to the banter thread anyway for all those are using this thread for that.

There is something miserable about sub zero temps and bare, brown, cracked earth underfoot, though...

Well yeah I agree. It does blow, but nothing you can do. To honest if Tuesday does not work out....I can't see that phenomenon lasting more than 5 days or so. I went through that whole jan 2004 spell with bare ground. That wasn't fun, but the cold was epic.

There lies perhaps the biggest difference between all of us, one camp likes to see it fall, the other camp likes to see it fall and stay to play in. Over the years it has become apparent that folks who live in or near cities are more likely to be the former.

Oddly I have had a very full life for what seems like forever but am still questing for belly to belly winters, my passion has not wavered since I was probably 5 years old, very weird and each member of my family knows about my OCD for winter weather.

There lies perhaps the biggest difference between all of us, one camp likes to see it fall, the other camp likes to see it fall and stay to play in. Over the years it has become apparent that folks who live in or near cities are more likely to be the former.

That isn't the point. Everyone wants it, but there are those who will be all distraught if it doesn't happen and some who won't be. I will absolutely be distraught if no snow falls like 2 winters ago. No hiding that lol.

Archived