• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December pattern discussion, part II

Typhoon Tip

We had about week or so of snowier weather in sne. Thats gone and ftmp isn't returning before the calendar rolls barring a major change

A majority of the few big qpf producers have been on the warmer side. My feeling on early January is without blocking the coastal areas in sne will continue to struggle with mild ups with systems flying across.

When we have cold highs building down its dry when we have storms the cold is able to retreat enough to give up the toys the further south one goes.

I don't see early January as particularly encouraging in lower sne. I see more slop but hopefully that evolves

I've got 5.5 to 6" Ray. I was very much on the side of December being good. I'm just not nearly as confident with January as many are here. again for coastal sne

I agree.

Its always more precarious for lower sne.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly.

Didn't you just contradict yourself?

What I meant is that climo is more precarious there, not the modeled pattern in particular....is that what you mean?

Yes, even in the best of patterns it's precarious there. What I mean is that I don't see any red flags even for the Cape other than the usual flag....the Atlantic ocean. Which by the way is also a flag for me. However, get some 1045 highs north of Maine like the GFS op has and it won't matter.

A lot of Cape Cod Bay was frozen or at least had the classic salt water slush in Jan 2004. 

I have pictures from Skakett Beach in Orleans that would make you think it was taken in Greenland!!!  Amazing to see that.  Bergs that were over a foot thick just crushed together by the tide/wind/currents.  Real cool site.  You got the feeling you could walk on it, but that of course would be a death sentence - even for a great swimmer.  You would roll a berg over and then end up under a very heavy piece of ice in very cold water.

Buzzards and cape cod bay will be frozen by late Jan anyway. Actually..all wish casting aside, Has this ever occurred?

A lot of Cape Cod Bay was frozen or at least had the classic salt water slush in Jan 2004. 

Lived in marshfield that winter. Sea smoke in the mornings. Lobster boats frozen in harbor. Frozen waves. Many mornings below zero on the beach. I have some amazing pictures on the home computer ill post later.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

What? There's been talk from mets on here it was going to stay Positive. Not sure what you're talking about?

AO going negative very soon

@splillo: If you're looking for cold, here it is. Developing +PNA / -AO pattern. Long duration cold for the northern tier. http://t.co/3Pf1Lxn2GJ

DT has been talking about this for 5 days, JB has been talking about it for the last few winters.  Steve D has been talking about it.  Don has hinted at the possibility.  Mets on here to some extent I think. I, (great mind that I am) has been asking whether the developing PNA would allow room for the PV to come south and ridging to build over it near the poles.  I think eventually the NAO cooperates and perhaps we get retrogression giving a -NAO, -PNA, -EPO pattern.

Archived