• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December pattern discussion, part II

Typhoon Tip

I actually decided to start a thread for it ... it may not garner much attention and it's probably lower priority with this icing thing and our warm up pre-occupying folks' attention, but if something comes of that, at least we will have had some attention given to it.

Weve been talking about for 2 days. It looks similar to that one a few weeks ago that was supposed to snow but the cold didn't arrive in time and ended up meh

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weve been talking about for 2 days. It looks similar to that one a few weeks ago that was supposed to snow but the cold didn't arrive in time and ended up meh

A few may have mentioned it, I don't doubt, but by and large the balance of the attention is obsessing over this losing snow thing.  Yes.   

Yeah that was mentioned by a bunch yesterday and Wed when some models like the GGEM had snowfall...fallen on the back burner for now as a low threat situation.

I wonder if Judah Cohen picks stocks too?

Since most of us picked a +AO winter, we should be rich. Beware of a more -AO possibly developing over the next month as the PV gets disturbed. It's not a definite but something to watch. Solar bombardment and westerly QBO to go along with that thought.

i have a hard time believing there s not gonna be any flakes or light snow events thru the end of the year. Esp in a cold below normal pattern. Something will come along. Some clipper or something

Maybe, but I see nothing really legit. I already wrote the period off. If something happens...awesome.

I see 3 "cold blasts", but no real snow chances until NY like Coastal said because each time the cold is transitional. 

First front Tuesday, second Friday, then the third around New Years...The last one (NY time period) may not be transitional, and therefore we see snow chances arise in Early Jan. The last one is the good one because it looks like we see a true +PNA form by then. 

WTF happened. This blows

At least its cold, lol. 

It looks awful boring on the 12z models for the next 10 days...maybe a couple very weak fropas with flurries and a clipper or two north of the US/Canadian border.  Total QPF is useless at that point of time, but models are showing under 0.25" (and even under 0.1" for some areas) for all of New England during the 7 days between Xmas and New Years.

Take a nap and wake up in 2014.

Cold and dry or warm and wet. Story of early 2014 too.

Transitional periods where it's colder longer and snowy. No real Atlantic blocking will keep things moving

Not really.  Nov was solidly below normal and so far Dec is too (even with this thaw). Most are above normal in SF too.  Just had to call you out on that.  It's wrong.

And secondly, it's not even 2014 yet.  Posts like this just stir the pot and lead to insufferable posts (this one I'm typing included!).

Not really.  Nov was solidly below normal and so far Dec is too (even with this thaw). Most are above normal in SF too.  Just had to call you out on that.  It's wrong.

And secondly, it's not even 2014 yet.  Posts like this just stir the pot and lead to insufferable posts (this one I'm typing included!).

Well, where he lives, it has been cold and dry/warm and wet...well, maybe  a little cool and wet? :lol:

All about perspective....he has .5" on the season.

Not really. Nov was solidly below normal and so far Dec is too (even with this thaw). Most are above normal in SF too. Just had to call you out on that. It's wrong.

And secondly, it's not even 2014 yet. Posts like this just stir the pot and lead to insufferable posts (this one I'm typing included!).

We had about week or so of snowier weather in sne. Thats gone and ftmp isn't returning before the calendar rolls barring a major change

A majority of the few big qpf producers have been on the warmer side. My feeling on early January is without blocking the coastal areas in sne will continue to struggle with mild ups with systems flying across.

When we have cold highs building down its dry when we have storms the cold is able to retreat enough to give up the toys the further south one goes.

I don't see early January as particularly encouraging in lower sne. I see more slop but hopefully that evolves

I've got 5.5 to 6" Ray. I was very much on the side of December being good. I'm just not nearly as confident with January as many are here. again for coastal sne

We had about week or so of snowier weather in sne. Thats gone and ftmp isn't returning before the calendar rolls barring a major change

A majority of the few big qpf producers have been on the warmer side. My feeling on early January is without blocking the coastal areas in sne will continue to struggle with mild ups with systems flying across.

When we have cold highs building down its dry when we have storms the cold is able to retreat enough to give up the toys the further south one goes.

I don't see early January as particularly encouraging in lower sne. I see more slop but hopefully that evolves

I've got 5.5 to 6" Ray. I was very much on the side of December being good. I'm just not nearly as confident with January as many are here. again for coastal sne

Coastal SNE doesn't normally get their big snows until mid to late January into February anyways so it doesn't bother me that we get rain while areas further inland jackpot and get big snow totals.  

By the way, anyone seen the 18z NAM, it goes bonkers with the h5 shortwave trough over New England.  Near record cold or at least very cold air coming for Tuesday.  And if we get some snow along with that cold it will be terrific.

Archived