SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
12/17 Clipper Observations

NorEastermass128

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got the bo*bie prizes all around today.  29 and freezing drizzle. 

nice round-the-clock work on today's storm!

wisp of OES for South Shore later Wed morning looks iffy on rap, even more so on hrrr... hope you cash in.

amazing that it's not even Christmas yet. we'll all get our turns this season.

nice round-the-clock work on today's storm!

wisp of OES for South Shore later Wed morning looks iffy on rap, even more so on hrrr... hope you cash in.

amazing that it's not even Christmas yet. we'll all get our turns this season.

We will see how this works out later.  In 2 or so hours as the rest of the system dumps up the coast this band off NH and Portland that's just forming down to CA should fill in and expand SW.  There should be flakage in the morning and I still think it may surprise some...definitely some hints of decent LL convergence along with OES.

Could miss just off the coast too....but if it doesn't may be surprise accumulations by 3-6am.

Had around 7" in ORH and about 7.5" in Natick.

Absolutely stunning outside.

We managed 2" and now have a hockey rink. Still some freezing drizzle. Towns didn't do a great job on the roads. Now they've frozen solid. If we even got a dusting on top the commute is going to be a nightmare.

Looks to me like winds aren't coming around like earlier models maybe. Ie colder dry flow may zap anything that tries to pivot down later but maybe not.

2 other random thoughts getting home:

1) After it all, we got 6-8" in Boston metro... far from a blockbuster, barely a moderate snowstorm for these parts. But the snowfall intensity, the snow quality, and the impact made it a memorable thriller nonetheless.

And looks like it set a record too: broke the daily max snowfall record of 3.8" in 1970.

2) Jim Cantore broadcast from Boston... maybe he's lost his jinx mojo?

Kind of ironic how this event ended up being more than the weekend deal. 

Looks great outside.  Reminds me of a mountain ski resort town.  Love the look.

I was thinking the same thing. Shows how much of a difference that Arctic air mass can make with precip aloft, along with favorable dynamics with the lapse rates and omega values. Also there wasn't as big of a warm air punch in the mid-levels like there was a couple days ago. Most places stayed snow the whole time. There was also much better banding with this storm, as expected, but KBOS did very well with that coastal front band towards the end. GFS ended up doing well too with it's QPF. It busted on SE MA, but I believe it verified really well for Boston and NE MA/interior. HRRR did well too, but that's a short range model anyways.

Archived