SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Pittsburgh/Western Pa Weather

meatwad

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Light snow has been falling for the last 45 minutes or so.

Also.. 12z Euro looking good for end of the work week.

As of now, yes, 12z Euro deterministic seems to agree with the ensemble mean fairly well.  Potential is there for a light-moderate snow event Thursday afternoon into the overnight hours.  Two things that I like about this set-up are the high pressure to the north, helping to supply cold air, and the 850 hPa low now projected to track south of PIT.  We may get in on some easterly flow at 850 hPa Thursday evening-night that could enhance the precip.  Too early for precip. forecasts, but the 12z Euro today is looking better than previous deterministic runs.

I wish I had access to the maps, although its unlikely to verify it sure would be nice to look at!

Anyways, looks like the Thursday storm is looking more favorable for our area.

Ritual, you can get ECMWF forecasts from these Web sites:

1) Penn State e-Wall: www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski --> links are in the left panel

2) ECMWF Web site: www.ecmwf.int --> only source I know of to get ensemble mean/spread for free --> click "Forecasts" at top, then click Ensemble Prediction System

3) Wunderground wundermap:  http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/ --> select "Model Data" from the right panel and click ECMWF.  Lets you view 0z and 12z runs.  CAUTION using the QPF on the MSL plots, though -- sometimes they add the previous period's precip to the given period's precip., when I think the intent is to display 3-hour precip.

I will be driving back to Pittsburgh on Wednesday. I have been reading the posts. I have to go through Erie and I see they are under a wsw for wed. How things looking in Pitt? According to Nws snow will be late wed. I will be getting on the road early. I appreciate the updates.

be careful out there. Heres the latest 00z NAM, it finally came south.

CD6B3CEB-0C78-44F3-A90D-27B34199607D_zps

I will be driving back to Pittsburgh on Wednesday. I have been reading the posts. I have to go through Erie and I see they are under a wsw for wed. How things looking in Pitt? According to Nws snow will be late wed. I will be getting on the road early. I appreciate the updates.

Yeah, be careful coming back. That area is going to get a lot from lake effect and then more from the actual low moving through. 

Special Weather Statement

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA

1105 AM EST TUE DEC 31 2013

OHZ049-050-058-059-068-069-PAZ014>016-020>023-029-031-073>075-

WVZ001>004-012-021-022-311730-

ALLEGHENY PA-ARMSTRONG PA-BEAVER PA-BELMONT OH-BROOKE WV-BUTLER PA-

CLARION PA-FAYETTE PA-GREENE PA-GUERNSEY OH-HANCOCK WV-HARRISON OH-

INDIANA PA-JEFFERSON PA-JEFFERSON OH-MARION WV-MARSHALL WV-

MONONGALIA WV-MONROE OH-NOBLE OH-OHIO WV-WASHINGTON PA-

WESTMORELAND PA-WESTMORELAND RIDGES PA-WETZEL WV-

1105 AM EST TUE DEC 31 2013

...A DANGEROUS SNOW SQUALL WILL AFFECT ALLEGHENY...ARMSTRONG...

BELMONT...BROOKE...EAST CENTRAL GUERNSEY...EASTERN HARRISON...

GREENE...HANCOCK...INDIANA...JEFFERSON...MARSHALL...NORTHEASTERN

MONROE...NORTHEASTERN NOBLE...NORTHWESTERN FAYETTE...NORTHWESTERN

MARION...NORTHWESTERN MONONGALIA...OHIO...SOUTHERN BEAVER...SOUTHERN

BUTLER...SOUTHERN CLARION...WASHINGTON...WESTMORELAND AND WETZEL

COUNTIES...

AT 1055 AM EST...A DANGEROUS SNOW SQUALL WAS ALONG A LINE FROM 6

MILES SOUTHEAST OF CLEAR CREEK STATE PARK TO 4 MILES WEST OF CADIZ TO

3 MILES EAST OF QUAKER CITY...MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 25 MPH.

THIS SNOW SQUALL WILL RAPIDLY DROP VISIBILITY TO LESS THAN A QUARTER

OF A MILE. ROADS MAY QUICKLY BECOME SNOW-COVERED AND SLICK. WIND

GUSTS OVER 25 MPH WILL ALSO CAUSE BLOWING SNOW.

LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

TOMLINSON RUN STATE PARK... NEW MANCHESTER...

NEW CUMBERLAND... SUMMERVILLE... SHIPPINGPORT...

RIMERSBURG... LIMESTONE... HARSHAVILLE...

EVANS CITY... EAST BRADY... CHICORA...

BUTLER...

PLEASE REPORT SIGNIFICANT WEATHER BY CALLING...412-262-1988...POSTING

TO THE NWS PITTSBURGH FACEBOOK PAGE...OR USING TWITTER

@NWSPITTSBURGH.

LAT...LON 4112 7880 4072 7879 4047 7892 3945 8063

3947 8071 3991 8132 4032 8110 4132 7894

4119 7876

$$

Ritual, you can get ECMWF forecasts from these Web sites:

1) Penn State e-Wall: www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski --> links are in the left panel

2) ECMWF Web site: www.ecmwf.int --> only source I know of to get ensemble mean/spread for free --> click "Forecasts" at top, then click Ensemble Prediction System

3) Wunderground wundermap:  http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/ --> select "Model Data" from the right panel and click ECMWF.  Lets you view 0z and 12z runs.  CAUTION using the QPF on the MSL plots, though -- sometimes they add the previous period's precip to the given period's precip., when I think the intent is to display 3-hour precip.

Thanks for the links! I was aware of the PSU-Ewall but didn't know about the other 2.

Anyways, looks like todays 12z GFS took a step towards the Euro solution. 12z Euro today still has a pretty strong storm too. I'm hoping it doesn't end up going to far west.

Just reading some of these posts and not being able to see the models (can't wait to get home to my computer tomorrow) you would think we are getting an inch or less from this next storm. Remember to keep your expectations low this way a 3-5 inch snowfall will be exciting and not be looked at as a disappointment. I will be driving home through Erie late tomorrow morning. Hope the lake effect is turning off somewhat by then. I had a family member drive to Erie tonight and the snow stopped after dropping nearly a foot today.

There maybe no big snow storm coming next week but look at this cold air. Thats some take your breath away cold.

72F8F85D-698D-4666-973C-446B6F58407D_zps

Yes--even if the lower atmosphere follows a dry adiabatic lapse rate that day, the high temperature would only be about 0F at KPIT, according to this run of this model.

Also, for fun since we're talking just reading the model verbatim here, this set-up would potentially yield a significant lake-effect snow event for the zones favored on a westerly flow, say from Ashtabula County, OH over to Erie and northern Crawford Counties in PA and Chautauqua and Cattaraugus Counties in NY.  Quite the thermodynamic instability with -30C 850 hPa temps and a lake that's around 34-40F.

Archived