Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 17th Clipper Discussion

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember that storm in early January of last year that the GFS and GEFS blew up as a tucked in coastal 24-36 hours out? We still ended up getting a decent storm in se mass..but overall the GFS and the agreeable GEFS were out to lunch. Hopefully this isn't a repeat.

Well they do agree in a very similar fashion this time. Just need to see what the euro does...what you don't want is this to be the climax and the 6z and 12z runs back down a bit.

Well I'm out. Hopefully the GFS is correct, but I still question the aggressiveness of the model. No doubt it will snow and probably a moderate snow event for some areas.

Sounds good.  If we're throwing flags out, meaning we'll have to take 3-4" over 6"+, I'll take that concession.  Should be fun to watch unfold.

Well I'm out. Hopefully the GFS is correct, but I still question the aggressiveness of the model. No doubt it will snow and probably a moderate snow event for some areas.

Was thinking the same thing this could be the west goal post. One camp is totally wrong.

Gfs has some support from the hrrr. Euro needs to give some ground. Watch the euro be even bigger.

The big picture says tight thermal gradient/strong baroclinicity (enhanced by snowcover) plus strong PVA equals rapid surface deepening.  That's a powder keg.  But the ingredients don't help if the non-GFS guidance is correct in tainting the baroclinic zone behind the 1st wave thereby preventing a second round of coastal cyclogenesis.

Considering the short range disagreement here, if the GFS is picking up on something real, this could evolve right passed what the GFS is currently showing.  Right now I think the good snows will be confined to EMA up into coastal ME. 

I have to get from MHT to Keene at 930pm tomorrow. Little worried just because these systems can easily become over-performers. All it takes is a little sharper shortwave initially, and things take off on the coast quickly. GFS is definitely the sharpest, because it doesn't have that lead impulse at all, for some reason. NAM uses the lead impulse in a big way, but QPF bias applies.

the new map from BOX has alot of us in the 4 to 6 range

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/box/StormTotalSnow/index.php

I buy that over what Bouchard has. I personally am leaning towards a 2-5" with spots of 6-7" N and W of coast (like Essex & Middlesex counties/S. NH/high elevated areas in MA interior like ORH). Cape/Islands C-2". I'm keeping this as basic as possible.

man what is GFS missing here... once again squelches the lead impulse and allows vortmax behind it to dominate cyclogenesis

would love for it to be correct but I'm cautious... 

at h5 verification: 6z NAM is very close to 9z RAP at 15z Tuesday, 6z GFS looks on its own

would toss GFS but 3z SREFs also ticked up, and this is so close to something bigger

Archived