joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 17th Clipper Discussion

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has the look of one of those MCV type vorts in the midwest. The low is basically a mini comma head.

Posting mobile so not looking at NAM but def sounds like the Euro there. The Euro had a similar look...as did the GFS which is why I had high totals across E MA.

While this is all good to see models often do tend to overdo the strength if these clippers at this range...I guess something to keep in mind

This has the look of one of those MCV type vorts in the midwest. The low is basically a mini comma head.

Could see some high snowfall rates with this mini bomb.  I think the second shortwave if it gets help from the first shortwave in just getting more amped up, i think could send high snowfall totals.  NAM has .75" to 1.00" line just northeast of Provincetown, MA.  Just miles away from that killer band of high DBZ.

Verbatim, many in this area would see higher impact from this than yesterday

I don't want to go too far off topic but this recent one ending today was fairly high impact at least around Boston thanks to the flash freeze and skating rink sidewalks. I was able walk on the pack late afternoon which is always fun. More snow on top Tuesday..

I cleared the space for the garbage cans for my next door neighbor and me. She said...thanks but you should have waited...42 on Wednesday....I said no.....that is not Wednesdays weather and besides I enjoy it. An old man in his snow...lol.

Could see some high snowfall rates with this mini bomb.  I think the second shortwave if it gets help from the first shortwave in just getting more amped up, i think could send high snowfall totals.  NAM has .75" to 1.00" line just northeast of Provincetown, MA.  Just miles away from that killer band of high DBZ.

Hopefully the NAM is onto something. I think we want to cheer for the first one to weaken and the second s/w to be dominant. I suppose it could work the other way around, but then the second s/w may be a kicker. We'll see what the GFS says.

Maybe a repeat of the December 9th 2005 mini vort bomb, with the exception being the winds.  That was fast mover and dumped 16" of snow in the interior, exception being track is further south with this clipper and its weaker currently on the models.

Man I would not use that analog. In fact, don't ever again..lol.

I don't want to go too far off topic but this recent one ending today was fairly high impact at least around Boston thanks to the flash freeze and skating rink sidewalks. I was able walk on the pack late afternoon which is always fun. More snow on top Tuesday..

I cleared the space for the garbage cans for my next door neighbor and me. She said...thanks but you should have waited...42 on Wednesday....I said no.....that is not Wednesdays weather and besides I enjoy it. An old man in his snow...lol.

I should have worded it different. Higher snow totals as opposed to impact.

And I just love being in the snow in any capacity. I'll snowblow multiple times during some storms lol

Hopefully the NAM is onto something. I think we want to cheer for the first one to weaken and the second s/w to be dominant. I suppose it could work the other way around, but then the second s/w may be a kicker. We'll see what the GFS says.

I completely agree.  I'm rooting for the first scenario. A few of the previous runs and some ensemble members of every global show this (and yield .5 - 1" QPF).  And over the past few days the 2nd wave has increased in strength/amplitute (well really both waves have).  The right mix could yield a significant storm.

Well I guess we all live the NAM now. This should be an exciting system though! Clippers moving into an air mass like this tend to produce well, given they already at least have moisture associated with them and this system looks to have that.

I also wouldn't rule out the northern stream digging a but more than what's modeled which would only benefit us...stronger s/w energy and stronger lift.

I also like the potential for convective elements...could see Thundersnow potential across eastern MA given steepening lapse rates and the fact there is also a decent dry punch at 700 that shoots north

Archived