Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Storm Tracking Images

SACRUS

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I remember a storm, can't remember the year but there was a storm that sat and spun over the metro area for at least 24-36 hours and we were getting slammed with mesoscale bands over and over.  It was a thing of beauty and I can remember shortly after the storm watching the radar loop for the entire storm and saying to myself that I had never seen anything like it.  Do you guys know what storm I am referring to?

I remember a storm, can't remember the year but there was a storm that sat and spun over the metro area for at least 24-36 hours and we were getting slammed with mesoscale bands over and over. It was a thing of beauty and I can remember shortly after the storm watching the radar loop for the entire storm and saying to myself that I had never seen anything like it. Do you guys know what storm I am referring to?

2/25/10 Snowicane?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

inxr1KPHLa_h.gif

Maybe a dumb question, but on this radar and the standard NWS radar sites, all of a sudden I'm seeing "non-precip" shown, whatever that is (negative dBZ's in brown/grey mostly), which makes it hard to see the actual blues and greens (and more) denoting actual precip. Anyone know why that is the case?  

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=dix&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=no

Also, IMO this thread out to be pinned in perpetuity and not allowed to slide off the first page, as it's a great thread regardless of whether or not we have an active storm.  

Maybe a dumb question, but on this radar and the standard NWS radar sites, all of a sudden I'm seeing "non-precip" shown, whatever that is (negative dBZ's in brown/grey mostly), which makes it hard to see the actual blues and greens (and more) denoting actual precip. Anyone know why that is the case?

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=dix&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=no

Also, IMO this thread out to be pinned in perpetuity and not allowed to slide off the first page, as it's a great thread regardless of whether or not we have an active storm.

It's in clear air mode. Also the huge fire on Hillsborough is showing up on radar

It's in clear air mode. Also the huge fire on Hillsborough is showing up on radar

Thanks, wasn't familiar with that mode - maybe they should note it's in that mode on the radar page.  Also, I understand the concept of scanning more slowly to better detect very light precip, but I still don't understand why they'd show "negative" dBZ returns - for Mt. Holly right now, there are what appear to be thin brown bands of "non-precip" (several of which are nowhere near Hillsborough, so it's not that).  

http://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints/239/

It's pinned for every storm

Yes, I know and appreciate that - is there any downside to permanently pinning?  There have been multiple times there were storms in other regions and many of the graphics in this thread pertain to much larger areas than NYC Metro, so I find it annoying to have to hunt a few pages for this thread.  Just wondering...

Thanks, wasn't familiar with that mode - maybe they should note it's in that mode on the radar page. Also, I understand the concept of scanning more slowly to better detect very light precip, but I still don't understand why they'd show "negative" dBZ returns - for Mt. Holly right now, there are what appear to be thin brown bands of "non-precip" (several of which are nowhere near Hillsborough, so it's not that).

http://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints/239/

Yes, I know and appreciate that - is there any downside to permanently pinning? There have been multiple times there were storms in other regions and many of the graphics in this thread pertain to much larger areas than NYC Metro, so I find it annoying to have to hunt a few pages for this thread. Just wondering...

You can tell by the grey /browns that you mentioned. Also on the bottom or side it does say clear air. Typically, when there's no precip in the area it's in clear air

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • BxEngine pinned this topic
  • Rjay unpinned this topic
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...