joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 14/15 winter storm Obs

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nowhere near 7 to 8, im down near longmeadow and east longmeadow, four miles or so from ct border....im gonna go with five before compaction, just over 4 otg now. i dont inflate or slantstick, i am brutally honest. i have seen cases like this where just north of here it stays snow longer in chicopee so i could see a bit more there or in ludlow

1 foot here! Amazing death band at 3am. Didn't last long but was 2-3" per hour with huge parachutes. As soon as the band passed , it changed to light sleet and maybe some freezing drizzle. Topped it off later with a bit more snow. I'm a happy weenie! :weenie::snowing::snowman::snowing::weenie:

Nice congrats! That's what my parents told me too, though I'm sure they didn't measure...just the, "looks like a foot" lol.

Been a while for the ALB area not to get skunked on a snowfall.

7.0" here, but a tough measurement due to winds blowing snow and sleet compaction. This was an average that accounted for both issues. Not a great storm, but not a bad one either. I had some nice 30 dBZ bands roll through and got in a couple of good weenie walks as they were doing so.

The snow was pretty dense from sleet and wind so it should have some decent staying power. I will await a couple more inches on Tuesday perhaps.

18" up in Woodford, VT. There's something truely magical about that place...I need to move there someday.

Had 9" here before compaction at 4:30. Compacted down to 7.5-8"

I'm pretty happy with my 6-10" forecast for ORH...never had to waiver from that and it worked out well. Not all forecasts do. :lol:

...WORCESTER COUNTY...
FITCHBURG 12.0 1058 AM 12/15 HAM RADIO
WESTMINSTER 10.8 813 AM 12/15 HAM RADIO
LUNENBURG 10.1 855 AM 12/15 TRAINED SPOTTER
STERLING 9.0 826 AM 12/15 SPOTTER
NORTH LEOMINSTER 9.0 749 AM 12/15 HAM RADIO
3 WNW WORCESTER 9.0 1023 AM 12/15 ORH AIRPORT
STURBRIDGE 8.5 959 AM 12/15 HAM RADIO
SPENCER 8.5 1003 AM 12/15 HAM RADIO
SHREWSBURY 8.2 1023 AM 12/15 SPOTTER
LEOMINSTER 8.0 700 AM 12/15 TRAINED SPOTTER
BOLTON 8.0 1013 AM 12/15 HAM RADIO
WESTBOROUGH 8.0 542 AM 12/15 NWS EMPLOYEE
NORTHBORO 8.0 1105 AM 12/15 HAM RADIO
LEICESTER 8.0 1201 PM 12/15 HAM RADIO
TEMPLETON 8.0 921 AM 12/15 SPOTTER
HOLDEN 8.0 740 AM 12/15 SPOTTER
ASHBURNHAM 7.8 835 AM 12/15 NWS COOP
BOYLSTON 7.8 754 AM 12/15 TRAINED SPOTTER
BERLIN 7.7 904 AM 12/15 GENERAL PUBLIC
WHITINSVILLE 7.1 800 AM 12/15 GENERAL PUBLIC
AUBURN 7.0 907 AM 12/15 TRAINED SPOTTER
GARDNER 7.0 1027 AM 12/15 HAM RADIO
ROYALSTON 6.5 945 AM 12/15 SPOTTER
WORCESTER 6.0 715 AM 12/15 HAM RADIO
BLACKSTON 6.0 1103 AM 12/15 HAM RADIO
CHARLTON 6.0 525 AM 12/15 HAM RADIO
OAKHAM 6.0 524 AM 12/15 HAM RADIO
SOUTHBRIDGE 5.6 621 AM 12/15 TRAINED SPOTTER
ATHOL 4.5 838 AM 12/15 HAM RADIO

1 foot here!  Amazing death band at 3am.  Didn't last long but was 2-3" per hour with huge parachutes.  As soon as the band passed , it changed to light sleet and maybe some freezing drizzle.  Topped it off later with a bit more snow.  I'm a happy weenie! :weenie::snowing::snowman::snowing::weenie:

Great storm for Albany.  If the airport metar is correct, we had something like 1.25" liquid.  I also measured about 12" OTG.  Considering compaction and the QPF total, using the 6 hr method we probably accumulated closer to 14" or so.  Great overperformer!  Several hours of heavy snow with very cold temperatures and relatively light winds, bookended by hours of light mood snow.  Best storm in a while around here!

7.0" here, but a tough measurement due to winds blowing snow and sleet compaction. This was an average that accounted for both issues. Not a great storm, but not a bad one either. I had some nice 30 dBZ bands roll through and got in a couple of good weenie walks as they were doing so.

The snow was pretty dense from sleet and wind so it should have some decent staying power. I will await a couple more inches on Tuesday perhaps.

18" up in Woodford, VT. There's something truely magical about that place...I need to move there someday.

No kidding.  I've always thought Woodford is one of the best locations in southern (ish) New England.  They have good snowfall and retention.  It really has more in common with northern New England than anything.

We had some rimed flakes after the ++SN band passed, but I checked the "core" of the snow and didn't note any PL here. I came up with 12.8" as my final number after about 3/4 inch more around daybreak to 9:00 AM. 

Edit..it's true maybe I could have added a little if I measured every 6 hours, but probably not much because most of it was extreme fluff. I measured the foot and then added the .8" from the early day extra stuff.

Great storm for Albany.  If the airport metar is correct, we had something like 1.25" liquid.  I also measured about 12" OTG.  Considering compaction and the QPF total, using the 6 hr method we probably accumulated closer to 14" or so.  Great overperformer!  Several hours of heavy snow with very cold temperatures and relatively light winds, bookended by hours of light mood snow.  Best storm in a while around here!

About 5.25" total.

Woke up at about 1:30 when I heard a few pingers on the window and took one final measurement.

I have not been outside yet but it does not look like a heavy rain fell as some had said may happen. I didn't even hear pingers or rain for the rest of the early morning. Must have been very light.

...This, FTW, as the pack looks pretty good after all is said and done.

5.5 here, made executive decision and left the sleet snow 1/2 mix on the black top after seeing my neighbor slide off his driveway. Fantastic storm, did not stop snowing during dry slot and then all hell broke lose right before pinging.

The interesting mirco situation was the CT shore from HVN west to Norwalk..including where Joe lives at Fairfield Beach. They stayed <0C for pretty much the duration while places southwest and northeast went above. My only theory is that the ageo flow down the Connecticut and Housatonic Valleys saved them.

One thing that remained true to form was the models over-warming the sfc inland from the low track. That is one aspect of model bias that almost never fails.

One thing that remained true to form was the models over-warming the sfc inland from the low track. That is one aspect of model bias that almost never fails.

I tried talking some of the SWCt folks off the ledge before but. Congrats to all nice opening day win, hopefully the bench warmers on the Cape get to play next game.

Archived