• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
MA'ers need a reality check

H2O

The IMBYism and jealousy over the last couple events is ruining the fun for many and it is over something that no one, none, anyone, anybody can control.  Weather is gonna happen and getting pissy over who is lucking out during a storm or a future one is dumb.  Ideally everyone would receive the same amount every time but that isn't how it works.  Some places fair better than others and that is just fact.  Don't like it?  Then stop posting.  

The people in N MD, WVA and parts of VA that are already at 75% of climo are not bad people.  They happen to live in more favorable areas during borderline storms and anyone with half a brain has to know this.  Sure there is some joking and teasing but it has gotten worse mainly because the last two years in and around DC has sucked big fat hairy donkey balls wrt snow.  I have good friends that live in Leesburg, western Fx Co, DC and N MD.  We all talk and discuss weather on and off the board and I never hold it against them if they get better stuff than me.  Why?  Because i realize they live in places that CAN do better and not every weather event will work out in my favor.  And that's just it.  People need to realize that each storm isn't theirs and only theirs.  It will be better for some and worse for others.  And you know what?  You can't control it.

Why not try to just take whatever happens and move forward?  Weather is just weather and snow is just snow.  It is not normal behavior to act the way some do over stuff like this.  just ask anyone else who is not a hobbyist like us for perspective and see if they say it is okay to pout and meltdown over weather.  It is just unfortunate that some attack others over where they happen to live which doesn't really help

When good things happen then by all means enjoy it.  But when it doesn't you don't have to turn into a bitter, angry jerk who feels the need to take others down only because you are butthurt.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The IMBYism and jealousy over the last couple events is ruining the fun for many and it is over something that no one, none, anyone, anybody can control.  Weather is gonna happen and getting pissy over who is lucking out during a storm or a future one is dumb.  Ideally everyone would receive the same amount every time but that isn't how it works.  Some places fair better than others and that is just fact.  Don't like it?  Then stop posting.  

The people in N MD, WVA and parts of VA that are already at 75% of climo are not bad people.  They happen to live in more favorable areas during borderline storms and anyone with half a brain has to know this.  Sure there is some joking and teasing but it has gotten worse mainly because the last two years in and around DC has sucked big fat hairy donkey balls wrt snow.  I have good friends that live in Leesburg, western Fx Co, DC and N MD.  We all talk and discuss weather on and off the board and I never hold it against them if they get better stuff than me.  Why?  Because i realize they live in places that CAN do better and not every weather event will work out in my favor.  And that's just it.  People need to realize that each storm isn't theirs and only theirs.  It will be better for some and worse for others.  And you know what?  You can't control it.

Why not try to just take whatever happens and move forward?  Weather is just weather and snow is just snow.  It is not normal behavior to act the way some do over stuff like this.  just ask anyone else who is not a hobbyist like us for perspective and see if they say it is okay to pout and meltdown over weather.  It is just unfortunate that some attack others over where they happen to live which doesn't really help

When good things happen then by all means enjoy it.  But when it doesn't you don't have to turn into a bitter, angry jerk who feels the need to take others down only because you are butthurt.

:clap:

It's gotten so bad lately that I feel guilty even posting an ob or a pic.  I told clskinsfan in a pm Tuesday that I wasn't going to post any more pics, but he encouraged me to keep posting.  I told Randy that I feel really bad for you guys, but it ain't like I can control it.  All I can do is keep hoping for you.  In the meantime, you are correct, those getting snow should be able to enjoy it and post about it.

:clap:

It's gotten so bad lately that I feel guilty even posting an ob or a pic.  I told clskinsfan in a pm Tuesday that I wasn't going to post any more pics, but he encouraged me to keep posting.  I told Randy that I feel really bad for you guys, but it ain't like I can control it.  All I can do is keep hoping for you.  In the meantime, you are correct, those getting snow should be able to enjoy it and post about it.

welcome to my world. I'm not even sharing an ob for tomorrow in this forum. If you want to know what its doing at my place, go to the PA forum, I'll be posting there.

2009/2010 was the worst thing that could have happened for those in the metro regions -- it will take decades for expectations to return to normal 

Our expectations are fine except for maybe a few who do drive by's but don't participte regularly....I honestly don't know where this stuff comes from

For the record, I was serious about the 6z GFS being good for the PA members of the sub-forum. I didn't look that closely back to Leesburg/Winchester, but at first glance, it looked like all the good stuff on that run was at the MD/PA border and north.

Wasn't calling you out.  You are more level headed than some.

This was just a general people need to sack the fuuck up rant because i have friends who aren't able to enjoy weather due to how some behave here.  Some of it will fall on deaf ears because there are some who refuse to change.  but maybe one or two will realize that sh*t happens and there are far better things to get upset over.

I haven't noticed any jealousy, but I also haven't browsed as much the last couple days.  Has this really been an issue? 

Not with people like you.  It's you, Ian, Randy, Wes, Bob, H20 (probably leaving some out) that I feel bad for.  Some others don't seem to have anything to post that isn't pity party themed.

I probably made it sound worse than its been.  My biggest pet peeve by far is when people here gripe about New England getting more snow.  I mean, come on, we surely don't think we should get as much snow as New England.

Our expectations are fine except for maybe a few who do drive by's but don't participte regularly....I honestly don't know where this stuff comes from

oh i know the delusion is strong in some, especially by those who don't participate regularly

I haven't noticed any jealousy, but I also haven't browsed as much the last couple days.  Has this really been an issue? 

It's there.  Tuesday's event I think is what got some really mad all because the models had a more general snowfall predicted area wide.

I thinks it's mostly joking but it does have a little bit of bite to it....who knows...I'm just glad my area has lucked out a bit...leesburg certainly on many occasions is the dividing line and can go either way and usually does. So far so good but this one smells like I may be on the wring side. My saving grace is that I simply enjoy any and all snow..yes I want it to stick and yes I want a lot of it but I also love to watch it fall. I get pissy when people come and poo poo an event just because its not a foot or if its a mix or change to rain...it's ok...life goes on...I hope it snows tomorrow

No one is more sympathetic to the snow lovers in the metro areas than I am, havng suffered through 25 DC winters. Part of my decision to move to WV was that my snowfall average would improve, as insane as that sounds. And all I had to sacrifice was easy access to fine dining, quality health care, and just about any cultural locale or event you can name, lol.

Some years north and west fare better, and some years its RIC-Norfolk that has the favored storm track, which is infuriating. :)

No one is more sympathetic to the snow lovers in the metro areas than I am, havng suffered through 25 DC winters. Part of my decision to move to WV was that my snowfall average would improve, as insane as that sounds. And all I had to sacrifice was easy access to fine dining, quality health care, and just about any cultural locale or event you can name, lol.Some years north and west fare better, and some years its RIC-Norfolk that has the favored storm track, which is infuriating. :)

Until last year it hasn't been a true north and west winter around here for awhile....in fact south and east has faired well in comparison to the region...doesn't mean there has been a ton of snow....just relative to what the region has received overall. I loved watching Norfolk get blasted a few years back...lol

Not with people like you.  It's you, Ian, Randy, Wes, Bob, H20 (probably leaving some out) that I feel bad for.  Some others don't seem to have anything to post that isn't pity party themed.

I probably made it sound worse than its been.  My biggest pet peeve by far is when people here gripe about New England getting more snow.  I mean, come on, we surely don't think we should get as much snow as New England.

I'm certain Wes and bob and Ian are joking around with the separate forum/greedy comments....mostly....bob does seem a bit on tilt though but so would I frankly.

welcome to my world. I'm not even sharing an ob for tomorrow in this forum. If you want to know what its doing at my place, go to the PA forum, I'll be posting there.

I hope that you don't follow through on that.  There's nothing wrong with posting obs and being excited about snow, but there's a difference in that and some of the offhand one-liners that have been thrown out the last couple of days.  I can't even remember who or what was said, and the comments that I read were in jest, but we all know what it feels like to hope and want for a storm and then get disappointed.

It's there.  Tuesday's event I think is what got some really mad all because the models had a more general snowfall predicted area wide.

I was here constantly on tuesday and I know others were saying the same thing, yet I could find it nowhere...except maybe a random post or 2

I was here constantly on tuesday and I know others were saying the same thing, yet I could find it nowhere...except maybe a random post or 2

You're right.  It's only a few posts, but it only takes a couple.  I can hear loud and clear what H20 and Leesburg are saying.  I could easily name the posters, but there's little to be gained by doing it.

For the record, every single one of my posts about this stuff has the sole purpose of making someone laugh.

And I will continue to make these jokes in the new subforum

yeah....I think this is an imaginary problem or at least one that is very very limited in scope

Until last year it hasn't been a true north and west winter around here for awhile....in fact south and east has faired well in comparison to the region...doesn't mean there has been a ton of snow....just relative to what the region has received overall. I loved watching Norfolk get blasted a few years back...lol

This is my 8th winter here, and we've had one above-average snowfall season in the previous seven. I also had a 5" winter and an 8" winter mixed in there.

Then again, in just the past four years, we've had the largest October snowfall and snowiest October on record; the largest December snowfall and snowiest December ever; and our # 2 all-time February snowstorm, snowiest February, and snowiest winter since records have been kept. Gotta enjoy them when they happen, cause they don't come often enough.

You're right.  It's only a few posts, but it only takes a couple.  I can hear loud and clear what H20 and Leesburg are saying.  I could easily name the posters, but there's little to be gained by doing it.

a few random posts have driven you to not share obs and driven mapgirl to a different forum?  weird

I'm not one to usually say "prove it!!", but since this has come up a number of times, do we have even just 2-3 examples of this boorish behavior that might drive posters away?

They aren't going to drive me away, but I'll admit, it did take some of my enthusiasm away on Tuesday.  You probably can find a time slot there where I just quit posting for a while during the snow.

They aren't going to drive me away, but I'll admit, it did take some of my enthusiasm away on Tuesday.  You probably can find a time slot there where I just quit posting for a while during the snow.

you said you knew the posters who were doing this?...were they regulars?...if so they were probably joking

Just like everybody has said for years here, snow is sn imby event. The true satisfaction lies in what falls there.

Us closer in folks have been sucking a diesel tailpipe for nearly 3 years straight with zero breaks. So contrary to the op, I won't really share in the enthusiasm of a nw winter. Or a se winter or a ns winter.

I'm not bitter or immature. I just won't jump for joy everytime someone 45 minutes away from me get s nice dose while I get a muddy cartopper.

We expect to get less down here. Thats normal. But virtually none isn't satisfying. I deal with it with humor. If you can't handle my jokes then don't post pics or ask a mod to ban me.

I think most of it is in jest, and then there are times when even the most level-headed posters can be on the brink (for whatever reason).  It's been a really sh**ty couple winters around here, and it can be hard not to feel a little pity for yourself.  It doesn't have to come off negatively though, nor should it necessarily be taken as such.

Many of you know each other personally (or have been posting long and often enough to "know" each other), so it's obviously easier for you to understand when there are jokes or lighthearted sarcasm thrown around.  Those of us who don't know folks personally can make the same jokes, but they're sometimes taken differently.  Understandable, I suppose, but we like to be in on the fun, too. ;)

Archived