SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 14/15 winter storm threat part II

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Say what you will about the model, but this is a situation where I would love to see the GFS have data every 3 hours. It shows the potential for really healthy banded precip in the WAA, but it is around Long Island at 06z and over CON to PWM by 12z. Basically it is intimating that SNE peaks around 09z.

You can still get the idea from the cross section here (running from E of LI to near LEB), but the mid levels are starting to dry out already by 12z.

On the left side, frontogenesis on the bottom panel is going to be strong and there is a nice layer of -EPV above it (good for banding).

The top right is RH with ageostrophic streamlines overlaid on it. As a result of that frontogenesis you'll get a nice thermally direct circulation that forms, leading to the strong lift on the warm side of the mid level front.

Bottom right is off on the color curve (air mass changes the color scale but the colors don't follow it, damn computers) but you can infer the numbers showing strong lift (15+ ubar/s) through the snow growth zone around 09z if you back up the lift near EEN to the S (right of the panel).

I'm disappointed that my tax dollars can't give you the 3hrly GFS images. :lol:

We can do some 3hrly x-sections on our model page.

A good write up. Do you have a lot of readers?

My facebook friends lol. I only make posts when something garners wide interest. I also make posts that my help me understand things better because as you know, there is always something new to learn in meteorology.

Oh, and twitter followers...

@gtabwx

My facebook friends lol. I only make posts when something garners wide interest. I also make posts that my help me understand things better because as you know, there is always something new to learn in meteorology.

You probably post a ton during spring and summer about sunny days and nice weather

You can see my forecast on this:

http://weatherchest.blogspot.com

Don't make fun of my art work.

Nice work!  

The only criticism (constructive) that I have ... and it really is pretty minor, is that I would suggest removing Tolland CT from any accumulation.  In fact, any warning and/or advisory status rescinded, and all Special and/or Hazards posting conferred, just for that one location.  

Otherwise it looks spot on ...

I agree with the map, totally....however I don't think the formation of the cf will hold off until the end, rather the precip type change will.

Thanks man!

You probably post a ton during spring and summer about sunny days and nice weather

Haha potential severe outbreaks. 

Nice work!  

The only criticism (constructive) that I have ... and it really is pretty minor, is that I would suggest removing Tolland CT from any accumulation.  In fact, any warning and/or advisory status rescinded, and all Special and/or Hazards posting conferred, just for that one location.  

Otherwise it looks spot on ...

Thank you! I was thinking of putting a little tiny circle of 20"+ where Kevin lives lol.

Is there an easy explanation to understanding and interpreting these?

I won't get into momentum, ageo circulation, or theta-e (mainly because I'm on my ipad and hate typing on it), but these are cross sections of the atmosphere. They're all from MPV (left) to BID (right) at 39hrs (9Z Sun) from today's 18Z GFS. The top image shows RH (color fill) and the dashed lines are omega. The middle image has the omega shaded. The middle horizontal point of the charts would be the geographical midpoint of the line segment on the mini Google map. The vertical axis are the pressure levels like on soundings.

I won't get into momentum, ageo circulation, or theta-e (mainly because I'm on my ipad and hate typing on it), but these are cross sections of the atmosphere. They're all from MPV (left) to BID (right) at 39hrs (9Z Sun) from today's 18Z GFS. The top image shows RH (color fill) and the dashed lines are omega. The middle image has the omega shaded. The middle horizontal point of the charts would be the geographical midpoint of the line segment on the mini Google map. The vertical axis are the pressure levels like on soundings.

Thanks.

So I saw the map that shows the two points.  If you are to the right side of the line how would that vary to being on the left?

Archived