joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 14-15 Winter Storm Part Two

earthlight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The line in these events usually falls near the Watchung mountains in NE NJ..the mixing line hovers near my house routinely. The mid level warming should push northward, but I really think the surface warmth is going to struggle to move westward past the city very much at all.

I assume you mean mixing between plain rain and something frozen other than snow? For snow I think the traditional break is further north, northern Morris on up, being west doesn't help much for snow versus NYC, but I agree the sourland - watching ridge often divides frozen from non.

The line in these events usually falls near the Watchung mountains in NE NJ..the mixing line hovers near my house routinely. The mid level warming should push northward, but I really think the surface warmth is going to struggle to move westward past the city very much at all.

It falls from there down to around my area. I feel your pain. But I definitely think you are correct about the CAD. That is one heck of an arctic airmass.

I assume you mean mixing between plain rain and something frozen other than snow? For snow I think the traditional break is further north, northern Morris on up, being west doesn't help much for snow versus NYC, but I agree the sourland - watching ridge often divides frozen from non.

Yes, sorry for not specifying. The plain snow line goes well farther north usually -- but the frozen precipitation boundary in these events usually halts around the watchung mountains. At least when there's an airmass of arctic nature.

Love it when accuweather on 1010 WINS says "if the changeover is delayed" sound byte, always gives us western Long Island folk hope.

I'll take snow to a mix, just no liquid please.

Chances of liquid on Long Island are rather high. In fact I think the city and even Newark are going to liquid after midnight. Just IMO.

Love it when accuweather on 1010 WINS says "if the changeover is delayed" sound byte, always gives us western Long Island folk hope.

I'll take snow to a mix, just no liquid please.

Chances of liquid on Long Island are rather high. In fact I think the city and even Newark are going to liquid after midnight. Just IMO.

Very rarely does Newark stay snow if NYC goes to rain. Any delayed changeover for us would be a matter of minutes, not hours

Hello Everyone and Happy holidays,  I have a weather station very near Washington Rock in Green Brook Twp, NJ 

Should be interesting to watch surface temperatures there,  the station is set up by NWS Cooperative Weather Station

standards,  please do not use for wind as it is sheltered, elevation is 494 Feet above Route 22. Enjoy.

http://www.weatherlink.com/user/gnbk/

Tony 

NWS Cooperative Observer - Station HSNN4

Harrison, NJ 

Archived