Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
California Drought

Jim_in_CA

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SACRAMENTO HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD

WARNING ABOVE 6000 FEET...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM WEDNESDAY...

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS: 10 TO 20 INCHES ABOVE 6000 FEET WITH 2 TO 3

FEET OR MORE POSSIBLE ALONG THE CREST.

* WIND: SOUTHERLY WINDS 25 TO 50 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 80 MPH OR

HIGHER WILL DEVELOP

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SACRAMENTO HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARDWARNING ABOVE 6000 FEET...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM WEDNESDAY...* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS: 10 TO 20 INCHES ABOVE 6000 FEET WITH 2 TO 3  FEET OR MORE POSSIBLE ALONG THE CREST.* WIND: SOUTHERLY WINDS 25 TO 50 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 80 MPH OR  HIGHER WILL DEVELOP

Having just moved to the PNW this summer still trying to understand the snow levels and the interaction of warm air layers.   Snow levels are lower in CA than here in CO right now.  Past few weeks I have seen ice and freezing fog in an inversion with lower mountains areas getting rain while high elevations still getting snow.  Sure is wildly changable compared to east coast weather where I moved from. 

Happy to see all the western moisture lately, sure hope it continues.

Blizzard Warnings, Winter Storm Warnings are now hoisted for the Central and Northern Sierra Nevada Range where snow levels will fall to the 6500 ft or below. Snow totals may approach the 2-3 feet+ near the crests with winds nearing 100 mph. Flash Flood issues are still possible across the Central and Northern California lower elevations as well as some stronger storms when an near 80kt jet speed max nears the Channel Islands on Friday.

Steve, I posted this on my Facebook page about the storm.  

California looks like it is really going to be hammered with heavy precipitation. CWG wrote this piece on the storm yesterday
(http://www.washingtonpost.com/…/pineapple-express-to-deliv…/)

As noted, in that article, this storm looks like it could be the wettest storm since 2009. Before I retired, Rich Grumm, Mike Bodner and I put together a web site showing the top 10 three day precipitation producers for the SFO/SAC area. They tended to have really high precipitation and moisture flux anomalies, the latter often more than 5 standard deviations (SD) from normal. Below is a web site showing the weather patterns and anomalies associated with the major rainfall events.

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/res…/California_major_rains.htm

I've attached last night's model forecasts of the 850mb moisture flux anomalies.

post-70-0-15081900-1418225673_thumb.png

Note that they exceed 5 SD. That's in the same ball park with the really big ones that we studied. I doubt this one will make the top 10 but it should be really wet one. 

Having just moved to the PNW this summer still trying to understand the snow levels and the interaction of warm air layers.   Snow levels are lower in CA than here in CO right now.  Past few weeks I have seen ice and freezing fog in an inversion with lower mountains areas getting rain while high elevations still getting snow.  Sure is wildly changable compared to east coast weather where I moved from. 

Happy to see all the western moisture lately, sure hope it continues.

Yeah, great to see moisture, hope some more makes it across the Divide. Moved to CO from the East Coast 4 years ago. The major variables for ptype in NE are ocean proximity, source and amount of cold air, and (hugely) where the low and its moisture set up. Here the first two are not so much an issue, but the third is (less), with the addition of ptype mainly dictated by elevation rather than anything else. Since it's overall drier, there is little rain from October through March, but rather either snow or nothing. I imagine Bend is kind of like that, being more inland and in the rain shadow of the Cascades. The PNW is not in my area of knowledge- but I bet it's more interesting than here in CO, but elevation seems to be the primary thing there too. I don't think you have the kind of warm air aloft you have back East for most storms that can add layers to the ptype cake, nor the cold air reservoir like in eastern Canada.

Of course elevation can matter back East too... the most significant ice storm of my 30+ years there was in Dec 2008 IIRC where we got an inch of radial ice in some places at 650 feet elevation, while down the hill just 200 feet below got plain rain. Lost zillions of trees and had no power for a week.

Yeah, great to see moisture, hope some more makes it across the Divide. Moved to CO from the East Coast 4 years ago. The major variables for ptype in NE are ocean proximity, source and amount of cold air, and (hugely) where the low and its moisture set up. Here the first two are not so much an issue, but the third is (less), with the addition of ptype mainly dictated by elevation rather than anything else. Since it's overall drier, there is little rain from October through March, but rather either snow or nothing. I imagine Bend is kind of like that, being more inland and in the rain shadow of the Cascades. The PNW is not in my area of knowledge- but I bet it's more interesting than here in CO, but elevation seems to be the primary thing there too. I don't think you have the kind of warm air aloft you have back East for most storms that can add layers to the ptype cake, nor the cold air reservoir like in eastern Canada.

Of course elevation can matter back East too... the most significant ice storm of my 30+ years there was in Dec 2008 IIRC where we got an inch of radial ice in some places at 650 feet elevation, while down the hill just 200 feet below got plain rain. Lost zillions of trees and had no power for a week.

What part of Colorado? I understand there is way more sun in Colorado and imagine way more powder snow there. Bend is one of the "sunnier" places in OR but some people I have met from CO complain about the clouds.  

I think the enormous moisture content here in the Cascades is why it seems the snow pack really hangs around and builds up here? Colorado seems to loose the snowpack pretty quickly in the spring?

Certainly not east coast climate, Bend is dry compared to anywhere I have lived. 11-12 " annual while just 25 miles west it is super wet mountain forest with ferns and moss on the trees.

Had inversions couple times here over the past few weeks unlike anything I ever experienced back east.  Rapid temperature change with just a light wind shift  to NE direction. 

Where were you living to get that ice storm?

Happy to see Northern California is really going to dent the drought the next couple days. 

Point and click forecast for Mineral, CA (8397 ft) snow: 40 to 56" (Lassen Volcanic National Park)

---

• Tonight Snow. Steady temperature around 36. Windy, with a south wind 29 to 34 mph increasing to 36 to 41 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 65 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 8 to 12 inches possible.
  • Thursday Snow. Temperature falling to around 29 by 2pm. Windy, with a south wind 41 to 46 mph decreasing to 31 to 36 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 75 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 23 to 29 inches possible.
  • Thursday Night Snow showers. Low around 25. South southwest wind 14 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible.
  • Friday Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 27. West southwest wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
  •  

The current storm is ceratianly helping the long-term drought across California. The global guidance is advertising yet another storm system with another long wave trough nearing the West Coast next week. The next storm system appears a bit weaker than the current system, but will bring additional lower elevation rains and snow levels should drop to around 4000 ft bringing additional snow that certainly will help put a dent in the drought.

the West need more weather enthusiasts.  These are pretty historic rains coming for Northern Cal.

oh yea and :

0630 AM     NON-TSTM WND GST 5 SSE SIERRAVILLE       39.53N 120.33W12/11/2014  M74 MPH          SIERRA             CA   MESONET            RICE CANYON RAWS MEASURED A WIND GUST OF 74 MPH.
0750 AM     NON-TSTM WND GST E GALENA                39.38N 119.83W12/11/2014  M82 MPH          WASHOE             NV   TRAINED SPOTTER            GALENA RAWS MEASURED A WIND GUST OF 82 MPH.

Widespread school closures overnight, a friend tells me stay-home calls were going out up to the last minute. One BART station down due to flooding.

Pretty good photos popping up on Twitter.

@tkinsf: @NWSBayArea 280 near Colma. Already saw one car getting submerged. Folks, stay home! http://t.co/BvUyNBsiZI

post-9793-0-79321000-1418316102_thumb.jp

This is reported as being from Guerneville up in Sonoma county:

post-9793-0-54161900-1418316148_thumb.jp

Large parts of San Francisco, including the Financial District, Telegraph Hill, Marina, Presidio, Pacific Heights, Civic Center and Richmond are without power as an epic storm slams the Bay Area. Some commuters reported busier-than-usual trains headed from San Francisco back to the East Bay, perhaps as many downtown office workers returned home.

A substation outage near Civic Center was affecting service to more than 50,000 customers in San Francisco, said around 9 a.m. It said it was working to find the cause and restore power.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/morning_call/2014/12/sf-bay-area-storm-transit-schools-roads-update.html

wow...just wow -

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT...SUMMARYNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RENO NV1217 PM PST THU DEC 11 2014..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON.....DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....            ..REMARKS..0200 AM     NON-TSTM WND GST 1 SW ALPINE MEADOWS     39.16N 120.24W12/11/2014  M109 MPH         PLACER             CA   TRAINED SPOTTER            ALPINE MEADOWS MEASURED A WIND GUST OF 109 MPH AT 8643            FEET.0503 AM     NON-TSTM WND GST 3 W MAMMOTH LAKES       37.64N 119.02W12/11/2014  M111 MPH         MONO               CA   MESONET            MAMMOTH SUMMIT MEASURED A WIND GUST OF 111 MPH AT 10067            FEET.0550 AM     NON-TSTM WND GST NE WHITE MOUNTAIN PEAK  37.63N 118.26W12/11/2014  M113 MPH         MONO               CA   TRAINED SPOTTER            WHITE MOUNTAIN SUMMIT RESEARCH STATION MEASURED A WIND            GUST OF 113 MPH AT 14246 FEET.0630 AM     NON-TSTM WND GST 5 SSE SIERRAVILLE       39.53N 120.33W12/11/2014  M74.00 MPH       SIERRA             CA   MESONET            RICE CANYON RAWS MEASURED A WIND GUST OF 74 MPH.0700 AM     NON-TSTM WND GST 6 NE INCLINE VILLAGE    39.31N 119.88W12/11/2014  M112 MPH         WASHOE             NV   MESONET            SLIDE MOUNTAIN MEASURED A WIND GUST OF 112 MPH AT 9650            FEET.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN FRANCISCO CA

124 PM PST THU DEC 11 2014

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0122 PM HEAVY RAIN 8 W HEALDSBURG 38.61N 123.02W

12/11/2014 M9.00 INCH SONOMA CA MESONET

9 INCHES OF RAIN MEASURED IN THE PAST 24 HOURS AT THE

VENADO GAUGE IN NORTHERN SONOMA COUNTY

Archived