Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA/fringes of MD - December 2013 continued

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think an obvious pattern has shown itself regarding how the conflicting signals are working themselves out.  The huge NPAC vortex is dumping cold into the CONUS and fighting back the SE ridge from the +AO/-PNA combo.  However, the position of the trough is not allowing for good amplification of systems along the east coast.  We are getting flat waves and weak systems fighting into the ridge.  We are getting decent QPF from a healthy STJ though.  All of this combined is not a horrible pattern, and most of PA has already cashed in (my area not included) and I think if this pattern continues into the heart of winter we could get a historic cold period and nickel and dime our way to a good snowfall year.  Of course I suck with long range stuff and the pattern could flip at any time rendering all of this moot. 

Not bad, I think based on what I am reading elsewhere that your post has merit. 

The other wildcard is there seems to be signs of a developing El Nino? 

Last year, we had 5 storms that produced snow in State College that I classified as Miller B's. They totaled 19.6". One storm was a biggie (8.5" on December 26th).

I classified the storm on Sunday as a weak Miller B as well, and it produced 1.2".

So yes, Miller B's can produce... but generally on the light side.

Last year, we had 5 storms that produced snow in State College that I classified as Miller B's. They totaled 19.6". One storm was a biggie (8.5" on December 26th).

I classified the storm on Sunday as a weak Miller B as well, and it produced 1.2".

So yes, Miller B's can produce... but generally on the light side.

Yup, our biggest storms here have almost always been Miller A's.  Seems like our best chance with this weekend is to hope for a stronger northern stream and some nice overrunning precip.  Costal redevelopment will likely be a non-factor.  On the plus side, at least a 1-3" type event seems like a lock at this point.  If everything works out, maybe it could be 3-6".  I'll just enjoy another wintry weekend and tacking on to the early season snowpack  :snowing:

The 2003 storm was a fun weekend for me. I think we were just skirted to the south of a storm the Friday before, which was Valentine's Day and thankfully it didn't snow that night so I was able to go to Whitetail Ski Resort in Mercersburg with my new girlfriend. Spent a cool evening doing that and then the storm came on the other half of the weekend. I think we got just under 2 feet from that one. 

Up until the 2010 storms, that was the last storm I remember being truly memorable aside from sleetmageddon.

Same here, hopefully enough of a band to cover over the ridiculous glacier of a snowpack we have on the ground. It's gonna be a cold one tomorrow. 

We have .9, I think we pull off a solid inch. Very fluffy snow. Took this while walking the dogs in town, the side streets are covered and 322/220 is covered also.

1476283_10151815084203148_1472796110_n.j

The 2003 storm was a fun weekend for me. I think we were just skirted to the south of a storm the Friday before, which was Valentine's Day and thankfully it didn't snow that night so I was able to go to Whitetail Ski Resort in Mercersburg with my new girlfriend. Spent a cool evening doing that and then the storm came on the other half of the weekend. I think we got just under 2 feet from that one. 

Up until the 2010 storms, that was the last storm I remember being truly memorable aside from sleetmageddon.

Yeah, good point on the Friday before storm. When I wrote the press release on Thursday for AccuWeather, we talked about that storm and how it might not really stop snowing from Friday until Monday for some people. Then that storm didn't work out. This general community was all on Wright-Weather at that time, and I remember there was some panic thinking that since the first storm busted the second one would too.

Canadian on Board great front end thump!

Canadian actually keeps things snow the entire event for pretty much everyone as the low tracks just south of PA. I tend to think that this event will be mainly frozen given placement of a decent high up north and a pretty flat looking wave coming across. Neutralish/Positive NAO seems to argue against any kind of big time phase and an overly huge storm. But there should still be a decent slug of moisture coming with this southern branch wave. At the moment I think Central PA will see a general light to moderate snowfall (2-5ish with perhaps an imbedded swath of higher amounts where best ratios meets best QPF) and also the potential of some mixing in the southern parts of PA depending on the track and evolution of the low.

Getting some light snow this morning. Eyeballing a dusting to perhaps a quarter inch. Temp is 21 degrees, which is a bit warmer than what I thought it would be.

Tomorrow morning will be a different story, so it would seem, with perhaps the first single digits of the season here per the NWS...

Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 9. Wind chill values as low as -2. West wind around 10 mph.

Archived