SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA/fringes of MD - December 2013 continued

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Horsts's update for the LSV:

This morning's spotty light snow was unimpressive (as expected), however the main event is still on the way. While it will be short- lived, I do think there will be several hours of steadier snow beginning 2 or 3pm and changing to sleet around 6 to 7pm. At an inch per hour, we could pick up 3 or 4 inches...but the 6 inch end of my 3" to 6" range issued yesterday looks like a longshot. As usual, some forecasters "went too big" with this storm--as I explained in previous discussions these split storms are tricky and bigtime snow is hard to come by. I do remain concerned about a period of sleet early this evening followed by several hours of freezing rain between, say, 8pm and 2am. Ice accretion may cause problems in some areas as temps hang at or below freezing overnight as a 1/4" of rain falls.

It's been snowing moderately to occasionally heavily for the past 45 minutes.  I've now crossed the 1" mark for accumulations! :santa:

Temp down now to 28.9 with a dew point of 26.4.  Winds primarily have been out of the northeast.  Pressure still falling rapidly down to 30.17" falling at 0.037"/hr.

Based on SPC, Horst, NWS, it would seem quite likely that Cumberland county transitions over to freezing rain later on.  I just hope we can reach 4 or 5" before then.

Archived