Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA/fringes of MD - December 2013 continued

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday's 7.0" brought my season total to 16.5". Def one of the better starts to winter as of late. I like the prospects of a clipper delivering a few fluffy inches to some of the region Monday night into Tuesday. Most recent model guidance I've seen (last nights Euro, 12z NAM, 09z SREFs, and 12z Canadian) seem to bring a swath of snow through the middle of the state and then becoming more significant further northeast in New England as the system hits the coast and fires.  12z GFS does the same except it has its swath of snow further south along the whole PA southern tier. The usual downslope mountain effects would be applying in this situation further east to a degree. But I think we can manage at least a swath of light snowfall across the state. Track of the low will be important in determining how far north/south in PA this swath occurs. It looks quite snowy in the NW PA lake effect snowbelt and western mountains the first half of this week not only from the clipper but from the overall NW flow regime. 

It'll be interesting to see how much of a warm up we have at the end of the week. The Euro seems a bit too slow with the progression of the frontal boundary, allowing another wave to run up in the lakes and cause a pretty heavy rain event. Given the progressive theme we've had so far, I'd lean towards a couple warmer days followed by a frontal passage with some showers or a lighter rain event and back to colder going into Christmas Week. The warm up may not be very pronounced or long lasting at the surface either (unless the Euro comes to fruition) given an established snow pack over the majority of PA. 

It'll be interesting to see how much of a warm up we have at the end of the week. The Euro seems a bit too slow with the progression of the frontal boundary, allowing another wave to run up in the lakes and cause a pretty heavy rain event. Given the progressive theme we've had so far, I'd lean towards a couple warmer days followed by a frontal passage with some showers or a lighter rain event and back to colder going into Christmas Week. The warm up may not be very pronounced or long lasting at the surface either (unless the Euro comes to fruition) given an established snow pack over the majority of PA. 

I'm seeing a major snowstorm for roughly the northern half of the state next weekend on the 12z Euro today.

Also drops 1.9" for the clipper at kunv fwiw

If the winner of the contest sais major storm....were listening.

Haha, just interesting to see so many options on the table at this point.  Few days ago it looked like a major cutter, at this point it seems likely some in PA will see frozen precip next weekend.

But lets enjoy this clipper first... SREFS been trending wetter

Definitely a good start to the winter for C PA. Based off Zak's contest I guess 6.5" was our official total.

Where are we at for the year?

Yea Zak probably took the NWS State College report which was 6.5" and the NWS office is probably about a mile if that north of the stadium. Some of the western neighborhoods of town like Woodycrest and Park Forest Village had 7 inch reports from NWS employees. Another PNS report from State College had 6.0", but it was around 730pm when it was probably still hanging onto snow as a ptype up there. 6.5" sounds good.

Was trying to find some official numbers, best I can find at the moment is State College is at 9" for the month of December thus far according to AccuPros climate data. 

Yea Zak probably took the NWS State College report which was 6.5" and the NWS office is probably about a mile if that north of the stadium. Some of the western neighborhoods of town like Woodycrest and Park Forest Village had 7 inch reports from NWS employees. Another PNS report from State College had 6.0", but it was around 730pm when it was probably still hanging onto snow as a ptype up there. 6.5" sounds good.

Was trying to find some official numbers, best I can find at the moment is State College is at 9" for the month of December thus far according to AccuPros climate data.

State College Coop site recorded 9.4" so far for December. 4.0" for november for 13.4" ytd. Hope that helps.

If you want official numbers, go here: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=ctp

Scroll down to choose State College in the location window, then snowfall, then current year.

State College is at 9.4 for December, and 13.4 for the season. We are probably at 3.8, I'd say, for the month to date, and 7.7 for the entire month. We should be at 6.3 for the season, and at the end of December, the average is 10.2. UNV is off to a really good start, let's keep it up.

Overall scoreboard after this storm:

UNV

Dec actual: 9.4

Dec average to date: 3.8

Dec total average: 7.7

Season actual to date: 13.4

Season average to date: 6.3

Season average at end of month: 10.2

IPT

Dec actual: 10.8

Dec average to date: 3.4

Dec total average: 6.9

Season actual to date: 13.0

Season average to date: 5.1

Season average at end of month: 8.6

MDT

Dec actual: 6.9

Dec average to date: 2.5

Dec total average: 5.0

Season actual to date: 6.9

Season average to date: 3.4

Season average at end of month: 5.9

Not bad, all are well above normal. These numbers came from: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=ctp

For those seeking 'official' numbers for just about anything for the State College CO-OP station -- and that's what's official when it comes to climatology -- look on this page:  http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~wjs1/wxstn/DATA/current.html

Season-to-date snowfall is 13.4" as of 0700 EST today.  

Thanks, that's a great link. So we're 18th all-time to date.

For those seeking 'official' numbers for just about anything for the State College CO-OP station -- and that's what's official when it comes to climatology -- look on this page:  http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~wjs1/wxstn/DATA/current.html

Season-to-date snowfall is 13.4" as of 0700 EST today.

Holy cow I wish this existed for all official stations.

Archived