• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Snow/Ice Event 10-9/10-10 Miss/TN/Alabama

John1122

I ended up with about 1/4th inch of snow over a light glaze of ice. A few people actually ran across some slick spots on the roads from it this morning as they were taking their kids to school. Most of the county was mainly just wet.

I just can't trust any of the models this year in these marginal situations like the potential one Friday night. They cool the column too quickly and end up showing more snow than actually happens. 

I hear you John. I love the over-acheivers like the quick hitting mid January storm of 2011. That one was modeled to move across the state as a snow to rain situation, and it was, until it hit the plateau. I was sitting in my office at UT around 3pm watching the heavy wet flakes start, expecting it to switch to rain any minute like the short range models showed. It never did and I drove home in some of the heaviest, whiteout, 35-40 dbz snow that I've ever seen. Slid home on a prayer and ended up with 3-4 inches and a huge snowman to show for it.

Modeling is often off base and occasionally those fun surprises can happen in marginal setups. I hope to see another like that this season.

Archived