Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
WCBS vs WINS who makes the decision?

sferic

WCBS  Craig Allen and Lonnie Quinn

WINS Accuweather.

Who makes the decision since usually temps and forecasts are identical.

In the old days, Craig Allen might say 2- 4 inches while Accuweather might say up to a foot is possible.

So who is the boss actually?

Living in nyc since I was a kid, I found that Accuweather is usually conservative, but even tough they are based in state college , they really have learnt the micro climates of nyc. So when they come out and say a good number that usually means they are on board which is good.

As far as Craig Allen he has been around for a long time too , he kind of hems and haws and tweaks his forecasts while accuweather stays pretty steady and confident. Other than Craig when other meteorologists are on wcbs 88 they are from accuweather and toe the company line.

Anybody remember Gordon Barnes from WCBS in the late 1960's and 1970's?

Also in the 1990's WINS replaced accuweather which that had since Joel Meyers since around 1970 with another weather service provider, I think Metro Weather?

Another good met on WSNL TV 67 from Smithtown in the 1970's was Pat Pagano

Nick Gregory is of the Alan Kasper pedigree...he was his intern years ago.

Alan kasper was my favorite back in the 1970's...Caraig Allen and Nick Gregory now...Before them were Bob Haris and Gordon Barnes...Tex Antoine and Carol Reed...Alan Kasper was a regular on the Uncle Floyd show back in the good ole days...he was called Alan Castoroil...

I often find that accwx can be more accurate than others in forcasting temps in the shorter range and I also like that they will update their temp predictions accordingly if needed, others seem to only do that with their scheduled updates. Accwx can be frustratingly conservative sometimes with snowfall estimates however. This is based off of their updates on 1010 wins radio... Their website leaves alot to be desired on the other hand.

Archived