Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jerusalem, Israel Winter Weather 2013-2014

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The radar is really a thing of beauty for Jerusalem, with convergence evident over the SE tip of the Mediterranean focusing a band of heavy precipitation into Jerusalem and surrounding areas. I'm not sure what snow rates are but I'd have to imagine 1"+ per hour. With such an intense temperature difference between the sea and the 500mb level I'd have to imagine thundersnow will continue.

post-525-0-75003000-1386891296_thumb.gif

Looking at the most recent GFS/Euro, both models suggest that the winds will continue to converge in this area with plenty cold mid-level air and plenty of mid-level RH to continue to support moderate to at times heavy snow through Saturday morning local time, if not a bit later. The Euro shows less QPF in Jerusalem itself but still shows convergence in this area like the GFS shows, and this will likely focus moderate to heavy precip into Jerusalem off and on. The models both show the winds shifting at times and altering where the convergence lies so there may be lulls, but the snow should more or less continue well into Saturday.

Based on your posts and by my math you're already well over half a foot/15cm now, it wouldn't completely shock me to see those 50cm amounts verify in some spots given the long duration of the event and potential for heavy snow at times throughout.

The radar is really a thing of beauty for Jerusalem, with convergence evident over the SE tip of the Mediterranean focusing a band of heavy precipitation into Jerusalem and surrounding areas. I'm not sure what snow rates are but I'd have to imagine 1"+ per hour. With such an intense temperature difference between the sea and the 500mb level I'd have to imagine thundersnow will continue.

attachicon.gifJerusalem radar.gif

Looking at the most recent GFS/Euro, both models suggest that the winds will continue to converge in this area with plenty cold mid-level air and plenty of mid-level RH to continue to support moderate to at times heavy snow through Saturday morning local time, if not a bit later. The Euro shows less QPF in Jerusalem itself but still shows convergence in this area like the GFS shows, and this will likely focus moderate to heavy precip into Jerusalem off and on. The models both show the winds shifting at times and altering where the convergence lies so there may be lulls, but the snow should more or less continue well into Saturday.

Based on your posts and by my math you're already well over half a foot/15cm now, it wouldn't completely shock me to see those 50cm amounts verify in some spots given the long duration of the event and potential for heavy snow at times throughout.

Great post! The Euro in my estimation has completely busted with precip amounts, although it does deserve credit for forecasting the storm and the amount of cold a week in advance. And yes, there is at least 1 inch if not 1.5-2inch hour rates falling now, with frequent bursts of lightening.

What is going to make this whole thing absolutely altering for Jerusalem is the fact that the streets are pretty much as full as snow as the sidewalks because the plows are barely around. Rumor has it actually that a lot of them were sent to clear the streets for John Kerry who is visiting here lol. So the city is certainly going to be shut down for the next two days. I just don't see how people are going to get around or do anything except marvel at just how much snow has fallen from the sky.

Long story short: this is epic beyond proportions and I am so happy to be a part of it.

Great post! The Euro in my estimation has completely busted with precip amounts, although it does deserve credit for forecasting the storm and the amount of cold a week in advance. And yes, there is at least 1 inch if not 1.5-2inch hour rates falling now, with frequent bursts of lightening.

What is going to make this whole thing absolutely altering for Jerusalem is the fact that the streets are pretty much as full as snow as the sidewalks because the plows are barely around. Rumor has it actually that a lot of them were sent to clear the streets for John Kerry who is visiting here lol. So the city is certainly going to be shut down for the next two days. I just don't see how people are going to get around or do anything except marvel at just how much snow has fallen from the sky.

Long story short: this is epic beyond proportions and I am so happy to be a part of it.

Thanks for posting about this snowstorm. It's great to see some heavy snow blanketing Jerusalem.

Finally heading in for the night folks. Took one last stroll and measured 7.5 inches of snow on the ground. Crazy. I'll probably wake up to a good deal more than that too. Also updated my album with more pics from that stroll: https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A6JEsNWnJHwHMl

Enjoy, and I'll be back tomorrow soon for further updates!

There are no words to describe the situation here. The heavy snow never stopped falling and is still coming down. The city: shut down, immobilized. I haven't been out yet, but I'm reading reports that already 18 inches fell in some places. By eyeballing it I can pretty much guarantee we hit the foot range. Also the radar site for the Israel Meterological Service has seemed to crash (anyone know of a alternate?). With all that's being modeled and by the looks of things last night, I'll just go ahead and predict 2 feet of snow by tomorrow morning, maybe more? It's going to be a wild wide here the next several days

Definitely over a foot. Look at this pic posted three hours ago 

https://twitter.com/IsraelHatzolah/status/411323715205738496/photo/1

Please go out and measure so I can go to sleep happy ;)

There are no words to describe the situation here. The heavy snow never stopped falling and is still coming down. The city: shut down, immobilized. I haven't been out yet, but I'm reading reports that already 18 inches fell in some places. By eyeballing it I can pretty much guarantee we hit the foot range. Also the radar site for the Israel Meterological Service has seemed to crash (anyone know of a alternate?). With all that's being modeled and by the looks of things last night, I'll just go ahead and predict 2 feet of snow by tomorrow morning, maybe more? It's going to be a wild wide here the next several days

Wow, that's awesome to hear! It's kind of crappy but before Roger linked the radar on the previous page I just used Accuweather's satellite page for Israel. Looking at things precip continues to blossom over the sea and get funneled into northern Israel with pretty cold cloud tops on IR, so I'd imagine heavy snow with thunder will continue.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/il/national/satellite

So I actually measured 11 inches on most flat surfaces in a parking lot. On grassy surfaces which did not have too much melting from the first burst Thursday morning, you probably could add another inch or two to that. And total, before melting, you can add 4 inches. So:

11 inches on the ground now on flat non grassy surfaces

13 inches on the grass

15 inches total so far

This is all in the Ramat Eshkol neighborhood in Jerusalem which is not the highest neighborhood in the city, but certainly not the lowest.

So I actually measured 11 inches on most flat surfaces in a parking lot. On grassy surfaces which did not have too much melting from the first burst Thursday morning, you probably could add another inch or two to that. And total, before melting, you can add 4 inches. So:

11 inches on the ground now on flat non grassy surfaces

13 inches on the grass

15 inches total so far

This is all in the Ramat Eshkol neighborhood in Jerusalem which is not the highest neighborhood in the city, but certainly not the lowest.

Wow, just amazing, we are sitting here in nyc trying to get an inch or two to fall before a changeover. I guess a Jew belongs in Israel. Enjoy it libi bamizrach!

Been experiencing another lull now in the storm the past 3-4 hours, as expected (although so nerve-wracking!) The latest GFS 6Z just splurges us with tons more snow though starting around 3pm going into the early Saturday morning hours. It's frustrating not having a good radar to track the storm I must say. But with the dynamics of this storm already in place, I am fairly certain Jerusalem is in for more pummeling.

The snow has returned with a vengeance. Already snowing heavily in just a matter of minutes. News reporters here are saying it'll be 3x's worse than last night. Based off the model runs, I can certainly see that, although wouldn't guarantee. Either way, this will unfortunately be my last update since the Sabbath is coming in a couple of hours and as an observant Jew I don't use electricity and whatnot then. I'll be back sundown Saturday though to provide my account of what happened and hopefully some pictures of what is left by Saturday night here (I can't take pics either during the Sabbath :( )

Pray my electricity lasts! Otherwise, I am the happiest I have ever been during a snow storm, and its been great providing you guys with the details. All the best!

:snowwindow:  :snowing:

3x worse = another 1-2 feet ;-). Couple hours gives you more than enough time to post pics and update at least right before Shabbat starts

The snow has returned with a vengeance. Already snowing heavily in just a matter of minutes. News reporters here are saying it'll be 3x's worse than last night. Based off the model runs, I can certainly see that, although wouldn't guarantee. Either way, this will unfortunately be my last update since the Sabbath is coming in a couple of hours and as an observant Jew I don't use electricity and whatnot then. I'll be back sundown Saturday though to provide my account of what happened and hopefully some pictures of what is left by Saturday night here (I can't take pics either during the Sabbath :( )

Pray my electricity lasts! Otherwise, I am the happiest I have ever been during a snow storm, and its been great providing you guys with the details. All the best!

:snowwindow::snowing:

Haha sorry should have been more clear. It actually starts in about 30 mins. I'm sure some people on twitter will post stuff. Search for Jerusalem snow and you should be fine

3x worse = another 1-2 feet ;-). Couple hours gives you more than enough time to post pics and update at least right before Shabbat starts

Here's my latest article on the storm...

Biblical snowstorm: Rare flakes in Cairo, Jerusalem paralyzed by over a foot
  •  

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2013/12/13/rare-snow-in-cairo-jerusalem-paralyzed-in-historic-snow/

Thanks to Justin and Jonathan for the info provided! 

Nice write up and thanks for posting. Very fascinating storm.

Hey guys!

So the storm is over, the dust is settling - what a trip!

While the Friday night event was indeed quite heavy, and intense at times, it definitely was not worse or as accumulative as Thursday night. The temps were also not their greatest during the first half and a lot of the snow fell very wet, not really sticking to things so well. Although, I can say that it had more of a ferocious intense bite. Walking back from synagogue, a thundersnow boomed out the loudest I have ever heard. It was much windier and more blizzard-like. Then after 12am, I do believe the temps got colder, and the snow thus drier. Even though I didn't stay up much of the night to see that, I did wake up from time to time to check on it, and the snow fell very heavily throughout the night.

I woke up to around 12-14 inches on the ground Saturday morning. That includes the first batch Thurs morning, melting, the huge second batch Thurs night into Fri morning, then some more melting and compacting, and then what fell Fri night into Sat morning.

When you take it all together you then have:

3 inches total Thurs morning

12 inches total Thurs night into Fri morning

7 inches total Fri night into Sat morning

Coming out to a 22 inch snow storm total!

Pretty incredible for Jerusalem, and particularly early December, standards.

The rest of Saturday it stayed cloudy and some melting occurred. However, I'd say now there is still a good 10 inches on grassy surfaces, and 6 or so inches on the streets and sidewalks. What is crazy is that no one has shovels here and the plows are non-existent on neighborhood streets, particularly small ones like mine. So for an example, the whole parking lot here is just snow, and cars are literally stuck, and the same can be said about most of the cars parked on the streets.

Another factor is the incredible amount downed trees and branches all over the place. Almost every tree sustained damage it appears from the heavy snow accumulating on leaves that have yet fallen since autumn was not yet completely over here. So many roads are blocked, some parked cars are destroyed, there's a lot of wood everywhere.

Essentially, the next couple of days are going to be rough, messy, slushy and inconvenient for a lot of us while we probably will just have to wait for the melting process to take care of things and the city to start cleaning up.

With all that being said, this was a storm I'll never forget and something I thought I'd never witness in Jerusalem. I feel very fortunate that the 3 years I have chosen to live here, there was a snow fall each year, and they got progressively more intense each year (3 years in a row with snow is very rare all together too).

Being the snow weenie that I am, I am obviously hoping for more snow this winter and in the rest of the years ahead. And I can't help but wonder, is this the pinnacle and the end of my Jerusalem snow experiences just because statistically anything more is practically impossible? But who knows, I thought the same thing after last years snow too, and things don't always have to follow numbers and statistics :whistle: Oh and global warming! haha /sarcasm

Regardless, I am a happy snow loving dude and very glad I was able to share this experience with ya'll. Hope you guys get snow like this where you are. Happy winter everyone!

:snowing::snowwindow::snowman:

Hey guys!

So the storm is over, the dust is settling - what a trip!

While the Friday night event was indeed quite heavy, and intense at times, it definitely was not worse or as accumulative as Thursday night. The temps were also not their greatest during the first half and a lot of the snow fell very wet, not really sticking to things so well. Although, I can say that it had more of a ferocious intense bite. Walking back from synagogue, a thundersnow boomed out the loudest I have ever heard. It was much windier and more blizzard-like. Then after 12am, I do believe the temps got colder, and the snow thus drier. Even though I didn't stay up much of the night to see that, I did wake up from time to time to check on it, and the snow fell very heavily throughout the night.

I woke up to around 12-14 inches on the ground Saturday morning. That includes the first batch Thurs morning, melting, the huge second batch Thurs night into Fri morning, then some more melting and compacting, and then what fell Fri night into Sat morning.

When you take it all together you then have:

3 inches total Thurs morning

12 inches total Thurs night into Fri morning

7 inches total Fri night into Sat morning

Coming out to a 22 inch snow storm total!

Pretty incredible for Jerusalem, and particularly early December, standards.

The rest of Saturday it stayed cloudy and some melting occurred. However, I'd say now there is still a good 10 inches on grassy surfaces, and 6 or so inches on the streets and sidewalks. What is crazy is that no one has shovels here and the plows are non-existent on neighborhood streets, particularly small ones like mine. So for an example, the whole parking lot here is just snow, and cars are literally stuck, and the same can be said about most of the cars parked on the streets.

Another factor is the incredible amount downed trees and branches all over the place. Almost every tree sustained damage it appears from the heavy snow accumulating on leaves that have yet fallen since autumn was not yet completely over here. So many roads are blocked, some parked cars are destroyed, there's a lot of wood everywhere.

Essentially, the next couple of days are going to be rough, messy, slushy and inconvenient for a lot of us while we probably will just have to wait for the melting process to take care of things and the city to start cleaning up.

With all that being said, this was a storm I'll never forget and something I thought I'd never witness in Jerusalem. I feel very fortunate that the 3 years I have chosen to live here, there was a snow fall each year, and they got progressively more intense each year (3 years in a row with snow is very rare all together too).

Being the snow weenie that I am, I am obviously hoping for more snow this winter and in the rest of the years ahead. And I can't help but wonder, is this the pinnacle and the end of my Jerusalem snow experiences just because statistically anything more is practically impossible? But who knows, I thought the same thing after last years snow too, and things don't always have to follow numbers and statistics :whistle: Oh and global warming! haha /sarcasm

Regardless, I am a happy snow loving dude and very glad I was able to share this experience with ya'll. Hope you guys get snow like this where you are. Happy winter everyone!

:snowing::snowwindow::snowman:

Thanks for the report, we too had a nice snowy shabbos here in nyc with about 4 inches temps in mid 20s most of the day.

Archived