• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 13-14th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

My first call for LAF is 4-7".  Going with an average storm ratio of 10-13:1 to account for some uncertainty in the thermal profiles.  Forcing supports at least a few hour period where rates could be .5-1" per hour.  Hopefully can refine/trim this range as it gets closer.

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a gut feeling with the snowpack in place here around Dayton that this system would take another favorable track. I think there is more agreement with the models that western Ohio could see a decent amount. Thinking the 4'' rang but 6'' isn't out of the question...

ECMWF showed a nice narrow band of LES developing off Lake Ontario for the GTA. I believe 0Z Nam showed such a similar thing. Through 75 hours it does look a bit wetter than the 12z Euro, disregarding the LES band for the GTA. 

I think we starting to see some consistency. I'll give it till 12z tomorrow, lol. 

:axe:

ECMWF showed a nice narrow band of LES developing off Lake Ontario for the GTA. I believe 0Z Nam showed such a similar thing. Through 75 hours it does look a bit wetter than the 12z Euro, disregarding the LES band for the GTA. 

I think we starting to see some consistency. I'll give it till 12z tomorrow, lol. 

:axe:

Ya it looks better than the 12z. looks like 4-6'' on this run with lake effect.

No I use the wxbell snow maps which shows about 4'' for YYZ which is better than the 2'' it showed at 12z.

Depending what ratio you want to use, i would use 12:1, then yes, about 3-4, (maybe 5-6" if LES does become a factor) to be exact. But for now a reasonable 2-3" is good based on the average of all models. 

Gotchya. Nice to know. Do you get any wind plots? If so, is the flow still favourable for LES?

EDIT: never mind. Out to 75 @ wunderground. I'll check it out myself.

Ya wind does look favourable for LES. In fact there's a nice surface relection aiming right at YYZ on the EURO.

Do the soundings support LES Mike?

Depending what ratio you want to use, i would use 12:1, then yes, about 3-4, (maybe 5-6" if LES does become a factor) to be exact. But for now a reasonable 2-3" is good based on the average of all models. 

2m wind plots showing some nice sfc convergence between ENE and ESE winds. Probably some enhanced uplift wherever that zone sets up.

Ya wind does look favourable for LES. In fact there's a nice surface relection aiming right at YYZ on the EURO.

Do the soundings support LES Mike?

Unfortunately BUFKIT is on my desktop computer back in Toronto. It's reasonably easy to download though. I'll do that tomorrow. It's a good question because easterly flow usually comes with inversion problems (among other things).

2m wind plots showing some nice sfc convergence between ENE and ESE winds. Probably some enhanced uplift wherever that zone sets up.

Yes, looks like a nice set-up for LES in the GTA. A nice wind component similar to what we had during the February storm. LES should be discussed within a 12 hour window from the event but for now, it does seem encouraging. Temperatures are very cold, so ratios are going to be high. 

Disregarding LES, a general 3-4" and if it were to become a factor, then 5-6". 

Yes, looks like a nice set-up for LES in the GTA. A nice wind component similar to what we had during the February storm. LES should be discussed within a 12 hour window from the event but for now, it does seem encouraging. Temperatures are very cold, so ratios are going to be high. 

Disregarding LES, a general 3-4" and if it were to become a factor, then 5-6". 

That was more of a SE flow that tended to favour areas N and E of Toronto (eg, my house in central Etobicoke didn't get a single flake of LES on Feb 7-8, 2013). Unless the major players change much, this is going to be a Toronto-Hamilton corridor setup.

The high res guidance has done well so far this winter...If I had listened to it, I'd be 2 for 2. Early NMM run is even north of the NAM...we'll see if it's typical beyond it's range hi-res amped shenanigans or legit.  Just when it looked like we were getting some north momentum the GFS/GEM/Euro come out with turds.

hrw-nmm_wus_048_sim_radar.gif

I noticed the southward trends too. The WRF above looks to be producing a healthy snow for us both. Even the NAM yesterday picked up on how Windsor was to be a DAB on its simulated radar. Perhaps this is a trend to watch for the next potential biggen near Christmas.

How's that song go ?? " Oh the weather outside is fright full.... ..... Let it snow, let it snow"

That was more of a SE flow that tended to favour areas N and E of Toronto (eg, my house in central Etobicoke didn't get a single flake of LES on Feb 7-8, 2013). Unless the major players change much, this is going to be a Toronto-Hamilton corridor setup.

The euro text verbatim has .31" of liquid for YYZ but ratios would likely be pretty good with H85 temps in the -15 to -10c range.  In terms of LES prospects, i would agree that it favours central/western parts of the GTA but it may just end up enhancing totals slightly as opposed to really making a huge difference as the inversion is below 850mb. Delta-T's should be in the 11-16c range however and winds are aligned nicely for convergence.

00z qpf for DTW for the Saturday snowstorm:

NAM: 0.55"
GFS: 0.31"
EURO: 0.36"
GEM: approx 0.60"

We are now getting into close range- 2 days away. While not the best of runs it was a few day ago, its much better than it looked a few days before that. Even DTX says they expect a solid advisory snow Saturday and have upped pops to 100%.

Milwaukee's take on the LES/LEhS. Calling for 4-6".

MODELS HAVE STAYED MAINLY SOUTH WITH THE LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM
MOVING THROUGH THE REGION FRIDAY/SATURDAY. THOUGH THE BULK OF THE
SYNOPTIC SNOWFALL WITH THE LOW WILL PROBABLY STAY SOUTH...STILL
EXPECTING SOME SNOW ACROSS THE FORECAST AREA. BEST CHANCE WILL BE
LATE AFTERNOON FRIDAY INTO SATURDAY AS EAST WINDS WILL BRING LAKE
EFFECT SNOW TO THE AREA. THOUGH THE NAM IS A BIT MILDER...AVERAGE
MODEL 850 TEMPS WILL BE IN THE -11 TO -14C RANGE DURING THIS
PERIOD. WATER TEMPS ALONG THE SHORE CONTINUE TO COOL...BUT STILL
SEEING UPPER 30S TO AROUND 40 IN THE OPEN WATERS. THIS GIVES
PRETTY GOOD SFC TO 850 MB TEMPERATURE DIFFERENCES...AROUND 15 TO
18C IF THE COOLER MODELS VERIFY.
PRETTY GOOD LOW LEVEL