SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter storm 12/8-9 Observations/Nowcasting II

nj2va

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I think impact is medium to low leaning toward low at this time...some of the FB mets over hyped the impact of this part of the storm in my opinion. 

I know I sound like a broken record, but ice storms with real impact are exceedingly rare around here. We get crippling snowstorms more often. Some of the more recent examples were only notable because of timing (hit during rush hour) and/or because of poor preparedness/response from people and companies. Since we were expecting this one, people are prepared. Also, it is coming at night (most folks off the roads) and with marginal temperatures.

I know I sound like a broken record, but ice storms with real impact are exceedingly rare around here. We get crippling snowstorms more often. Some of the more recent examples were only notable because of timing (hit during rush hour) and/or because of poor preparedness/response from people and companies. Since we were expecting this one, people are prepared. Also, it is coming at night (most folks off the roads) and with marginal temperatures.

Totally in agreement with you on this...rare that we experience major impact from ice storms. Also I don't think there are wide spread power outages. A few for the FB and want to be FB mets were claiming large number of people would be without power for days. I don't believe we are going see that happen.

I had a good response but this is a serious thread for a serious situation

Pimping a mansierre is serious bidness too.

Holding 31.1. Nice and glazy with streets a slushy.

I want my glacial yard to hold out until the Tuesday pummeling. Snow on glacier + artic blast should give me more days with snowcover that the previous 2 winters combined.

Pimping a mansierre is serious bidness too.

Holding 31.1. Nice and glazy with streets a slushy.

I want my glacial yard to hold out until the Tuesday pummeling. Snow on glacier + artic blast should give me more days with snowcover that the previous 2 winters combined.

Took the dog out -- he wasnt a fan.  It's pretty legit out there.  A lot is running off but very solid storm for early December.  Still miffed about never getting superbanded though.

Took the dog out -- he wasnt a fan. It's pretty legit out there. A lot is running off but very solid storm for early December. Still miffed about never getting superbanded though.

I'm overperforming on ice from what I expected. I never had high hopes for sig ice. We need to be very cold leading in with heavy rates and forecast temps to climb or hold near freezing.

A dry 28-30 degree air and ground with light rates for an extended period is much more dangerous imo. Not snowy, sleety, slushy, upper 20's/ low 30's with tropical downpours to finish the deal.

Missing the snow band burned me too. Spent too much time analyzing stuff for a week to be on the outside looking in. Oh well. What can you do?

I'm overperforming on ice from what I expected. I never had high hopes for sig ice. We need to be very cold leading in with heavy rates and forecast temps to climb or hold near freezing.

A dry 28-30 degree air and ground with light rates for an extended period is much more dangerous imo. Not snowy, sleety, slushy, upper 20's/ low 30's with tropical downpours to finish the deal.

Missing the snow band burned me too. Spent too much time analyzing stuff for a week to be on the outside looking in. Oh well. What can you do?

I feel better about the storm after seeing tonight than I did the whole time. I mean it's still not crippling or anything but it is Dec 8 (9).  I know the last two winters have primed us to be excited over total crap but this was an interesting one on many levels. I think overall it performed and then some.  People who were expecting 1" of ice probably were confused somewhere.

The good thing about being out much of the snow period is I mostly missed the barrage of pics. The few I saw made me feel very sad. I know it seems like every storm ends up vomiting snow over that region but this one was a bit surprising in its intensity.  Saw doug k say that it was 15:1 snow .. guess there was just some explosive snow growth.  Sucks it wasn't me but good to see good busts can still happen.  DT had 4-8 but not in that area/configuration really. I don't think most people saw the northern edge well at all. 

Seems like roads that were treated are wet + crunchy with patchy ice. I found a spot of my parking lot that wasn't treated. Oh boy.

The sidewalks are an absolute nightmare to walk on. Roads seems okay, but they really didn't good that great of a job with everything else. 

Stay safe driving tomorrow. 

Archived