joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter storm 12/8-9 Observations/Nowcasting II

nj2va

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just went out for a bit...roads out here are mostly wet...I assume when traffic stops it may freeze up but even my driveway is just wet. Freezing rain is overrated....

trees, powerlines, overpasses, bridges, sidewalks....I think that is mostly the problem...Here in the city, the sidewalks are already so bad, you have to mainly walk in the street to get anywhere which will cause trouble in the morning...you're right about streets....it isn't like they become ice rinks...but that might happen locally if not universally....

Disc are you in the city or county I can't remember? I'm in the county and the nearest wunderground weather site for the hollins area has me at 30.0 the last time I checked.

*wow the next batch inbound on radar means business looking at the echos associated with it.

I'm in the city limits. I usually run a little bit warmer in events like this.

EDIT: I've crept up to 30.7*

street plowed not once but twice here about an hour ago.  Sidewalks are slick.  Sitting at 30/30

Funny, when we get real plow able snow they are no where to be seen, but a half inch of slop and they are all over it. We got one pass earlier, was quite the spark show.

Will be interesting to see what happens later. Will be a battle of CAD v. latent heat release with freezing rain, especially for those sitting at a marginal 31.

trees, powerlines, overpasses, bridges, sidewalks....I think that is mostly the problem...Here in the city, the sidewalks are already so bad, you have to mainly walk in the street to get anywhere which will cause trouble in the morning...you're right about streets....it isn't like they become ice rinks...but that might happen locally if not universally....

Yeah, there are different types of freezing rain impacts. They fall into two categories that are almost mutually exclusive.

Type 1: Light freezing rain or freezing drizzle on untreated roads-- that's the way you end up with icy roads and multiple accidents.

Type 2: Moderate freezing rain weighing down on trees-- that's the way you end up with power outages.

They usually don't happen at the same time, even over a long ice storm.

2/08- Ice storm started with the light glaze that crippled the ramps near the I-495 Mixing Bowl during rush hour. Icy roads happened during the light part. The heavy tree glaze came overnight night, but by then, roads were mostly fine. Sidewalks were still slippery, and power outages started spiking. 

1/99- The same thing happened. During the day on the 14th, untreated roads were slick and there were numerous accidents from light freezing rain/drizzle. The main even overnight caused the epic power outages, but the roads weren't the issue by that point.

Archived