SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
12/8 - 12/9 2nd wave OBS

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Upstream soundings show dry air aloft which means we're going directly to freezing drizzle especially near the coast. We'll see if things can improve some for a period of snow or sleet across the interior. But with no ice crystals I think freezing drizzle is likely -- and bad for travel if you're not near the warmer coastal areas. We'll see.

Yep, light freezing drizzle and 1/2" of snow on the grass and cars in my world of northeast Queens, NY.

My other question is why haven't any of the WWA or forcast been updated.. Are they as baffled as we are

Forecasting is challenging..even in the very short range.  IMO they will hold on to periods of sleet,  freezing rain and snow overnight changing to rain with no further accumulations.

Forecasting is challenging..even in the very short range. IMO they will hold on to periods of sleet, freezing rain and snow overnight changing to rain with no further accumulations.

This will be my second storm in a row with a WWA where I may not see a flurry lol oh well I have to admit models didn't predict any of this so not the mets fault

31 with light sleet / snow mix.  There had been freezing drizzle, then it mixed with sleet and now its sleet/snow mix.  Odd because the radar shows nothing overhead.  Temperature has been creeping up and getting close to freezing now,  Another couple of tenths and I'll call it 32.

And it is snow...not snizzle that is currently mixed.

Precip here seems to be oscillating between a very light mix of freezing rain, snow, and some occasional sleet pellets. Temp has been stuck at 29.4 for the last 2 hours. The radar looks pretty meh as most of the stuff down in VA is moving ENE and looks to mainly affect central NJ and south. 

Archived