joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter storm 12/8-9 Observations/Nowcasting

ThePhotoGuy

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, that looks right based on radar.

For the immediate DC metro, we are hoping that the sleet line is just north of Culpeper to Dale City-ish and that the slug of precip coming this way will stay as snow.

I hope so... its very frustrating... good pics all and congrats on your snow

Shows how location matters.  I'm not doing much anything.  I can see a few white patches on teh mulch. Temp is plenty cold enough   but I can't get the precip.  Frustrating. 

Wes, that's the frustrating part about the front-side WAA/Warm conveyor belt generated precip.  There's typically a gap between the higher reflectivities on the south side (bright-banding) where it is mixing and the band(s) on the northern side where the moisture/lift in the dendritic growth zone is more optimal.  Those of us in between are stuck with a below 0C sounding, yet without the same degree of lift/moisture above the -10C layer.  So we get much lighter pcpn that more or less coats the ground.

Certainly not at all like your transition that we see on the backside of a low (CCB/trowal and deformation ahead of a mid level trough). In these situations we rarely see the "gaps" in radar (...unless we're dealing with CSI bands).  Frustrating for both the weather enthusiast as well as the forecaster ;)

12:00 Update

4.1 inches.

Moderate snow

25 degrees

This will be my last update until 4:00 or so. I must watch my Skins get crushed. Snow has picked back up in intesity. 6+ inches is most likely a lock at this point.

post-1681-0-23083600-1386522126_thumb.jp

First shovel use of the season

post-1681-0-64367000-1386522220_thumb.jp

Moderate snow

post-1681-0-90844600-1386522319_thumb.jp

First driveway snow pile of the season.

post-1681-0-09404800-1386522364_thumb.jp

Current road conditions in Winchester, VA. As always a joke!

It's changing back to snow.  Got some big flakes.  Actually it is back t almost all snow.  I can still hear some ping though.

Great news to hear the column still supports snow. It's noon now. Bonus time for us. I'm holding at 27.3. I didn't think I would be this cold during the afternoon. I'm starting to think about impacts from ice tonight but probably not too much here. Those with big snow totals are in for one heck of a memorable event once it's all said and done. 

Archived