• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter storm 12/8-9 model discussion part II

Ji

I remember 1994 being pretty bad. We had off of school for about 2 weeks and every side road was a sheet of ice for a couple weeks also. The best part was actually getting to play ice hockey on the basketball court instead of our normal street hockey on rollerblades.

I remember playing hockey on the street and flat driveways.  I think in one of those storms we had 2-3" of sleet IMBY.

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember playing hockey on the street and flat driveways.  I think in one of those storms we had 2-3" of sleet IMBY.

I knew we were screwed out of snow on that really nasty sleet/ice storm that year when I was driving around looking for the first snow flakes and heard on WTOP radio that Ft.Belvoir was reporting zr/pl mix

I wanted to cry

As I recall, 1994 was about several inches of sleet encased in a sheet of ice followed by really cold temps to lock it in. I have vivid memories of folks paying me to use a little hammer and metal ice chisel on their windshields. Seems crazy in hindsight but there was no other way to remove a 2 inch glacier on someone's windshield with temps in the 20s and overcast skies (which I recall seemed to go on forever). I also remember slipping in what was otherwise just a small ditch and cutting my lip wide open and then sliding a bit like a luge.

As I recall, 1994 was about several inches of sleet encased in a sheet of ice followed by really cold temps to lock it in. I have vivid memories of folks paying me to use a little hammer and metal ice chisel on their windshields. Seems crazy in hindsight but there was no other way to remove a 2 inch glacier on someone's windshield with temps in the 20s and overcast skies (which I recall seemed to go on forever). I also remember slipping in what was otherwise just a small ditch and cutting my lip wide open and then sliding a bit like a luge.

I knew I broke at of those plastic ice scrappers the morning after and cut my hand...at around 12 degrees,  wet hands that are all scraped up get fairly painful I do recall

The 94 ice storm was epic.  Sleet for hours.  I worked so much that week due to temps freezing everything

I had hours of sleet but a couple of days before that I had a monster ice storm that knocked my power out for a week.  If someone gts 0.50" of freezing rain, that will be a big deal.  Right now that looks possible back in VA west and wsw of us but that band could end up farther n too.  I just want to see snow prior to the freezing rain.   For the second straight run the NAM has the warm layer above freezing by 18Z at DCA. 

But how much of that .50 ran off? How did that compare to other hours? I just don't think we can assume .70 as ZR equals .70 freezing rain accum. .5+ is going to be a problem if/where it happens I'm sure.

oh...I know...I was just pointing out that it was moisture laden...I'm sure plenty ran off.....rates weren't like that for the rest of the event, but even with the runoff if it is 30 or below, heavy rain will do damage as you know...esp to powerlines and trees....I might be in the minority but I dont really care about ice accretion...It isn't ike i am measuring it.  for me it is all qualitative when it comes to ice, whereas snow there is certainly a quantitative element involved.

I remember 1994 being pretty bad. We had off of school for about 2 weeks and every side road was a sheet of ice for a couple weeks also. The best part was actually getting to play ice hockey on the basketball court instead of our normal street hockey on rollerblades.

I was in Ohio in 1994 (Columbus area), and that January into February was brutally cold.  I heard about the ice in the mid-Atlantic, but in Ohio we had a couple of nice snow events (on the order of 4-8" or so) followed by extreme cold.  There were many all-time record minima set in the state the 3rd week of January, and I think a lot of those still stand.  Cleveland, OH also set their longest below zero streak (can't recall the number of consecutive hours offhand, but it was well over a day).

Storm mode please? No? The past is the past, I don't care about how much you had to chisel, or how far you had to skate to get to school... Banter gets boring, half of us repeat the same stories.... just want to read nowcasting and scientific analysis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are between model runs.

I'll switch to the other thread

94 was ridiculous.  i remember the ice storms.  looked like siberia outside.  definitely up to an inch of solid ice on the sidewalks, grass, etc.  i also remember the forecasted snow storm from the low forming on the stalled front to the south and we ended up instead of snow with about 4" of sleet...no exaggeration.  i think nyc cashed in with that one.

Storm mode please? No? The past is the past, I don't care about how much you had to chisel, or how far you had to skate to get to school... Banter gets boring, half of us repeat the same stories.... just want to read nowcasting and scientific analysis.

Uphill, both ways, with the sun in my eyes...and while fighting off dinosaurs!!  Now get off my lawn kid (*shakes cane*)! :D  :P

oh...I know...I was just pointing out that it was moisture laden...I'm sure plenty ran off.....rates weren't like that for the rest of the event, but even with the runoff if it is 30 or below, heavy rain will do damage as you know...esp to powerlines and trees....I might be in the minority but I dont really care about ice accretion...It isn't ike i ameasuring it. for me it is all qualitative when it comes to ice, whereas snow there is certainly a quantitative element involved.

I'm with you. If it's not taking half the trees in the city down .2 is the same as .4 to me.

In '94 I was watching the temps in the teens (here in southern Fairfax Co.) and wondering how it could be raining so hard and for so long.  I was sure that the rain was going to just flow away and wouldn't build up very thickly as ice but it built up to be inches thick and I couldn't even walk in my yard.  It lasted for a long time and school was out for almost 2 weeks.  The neighborhood looked snow covered but we didn't have any snow and I don't really remember any sleet here, etither.

There was still some of that nuclear 1994 ice still waiting to melt in street gutters around Capitol Hill in April. Totally unreal. During the worst of the storms, I wore socks on the outside of my shoes to get through my walk to the subway without killing myself.

That reminds me of wearing grocery bags between my socks and shoes for snowmageddon since I didn't have boots.

Archived