joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - December 2013

PennMan

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Voyager.  Could this next one be the one?  Slighlty higher ratios N & W, just on the northern fringe of the more substantial precip.   I concur with you that this recipe has, for the most part, not worked our for our region--that area of moderate elevation south of the Poconos, east of the central mountains, and northwest of the piedmont.   This area has not cashed in the way climatology would suggest that it should over the last 4 to 6 years.  (Not a complaint, just an observation).  I do however love the wintry feel out there and the truly early start to the season that we're all experiencing.

Good luck to the southern Pa members. 

StormTotalSnow.png

CTP better issue something quick for the southeastern counties. They've got 4-6 in the grids and don't even have an advisory out 18 hours before start time! wtheck?

**cough** Coordination for watch for Lancaster/Adams/York with surrounding offices? **cough**  

CTP better issue something quick for the southeastern counties. They've got 4-6 in the grids and don't even have an advisory out 18 hours before start time! wtheck?

There still seems to be a lot of uncertainty, even for my local area. DC has already issued watches for tomorrow, so I'm sure they will issue something soon for the southeastern counties.

About these snow totals maps, NWS Pittsburgh has the Pitt area in 2-4 range on their map but they are calling for 1-3. They said in their explanation that the new maps that are being used if you see the ranges they go 1-2, 2-4, 4-6 etc. There is no 1-3 or 3-5 so it may be a little more on the map then is forecasted. 

I just received a message from NWS Pit that they are working on odd range snowfall maps and will have them out for future storms. I would hope that goes for State College too.

Good luck to the southern Pa members. 

StormTotalSnow.png

We will take this and sprint to the bank! I saw a graphic of the forecast from WGAL of 3-5" for Lancaster County which seems like a good call. Whatever falls tomorrow has a good chance of hanging around for a while. Some quick math for the temps the next 7 days looks like -8 departures. Wow, that's a nice cold stretch.

Noon Monday, December 9, 2013:

I could focus this entire discussion on yesterday's fascinating storm which produced a bull's eye of heavy snow just outside of Philly. A foot of snow was measure in a small area near Newark, and the Eagles game was an instant classic with 8 inches falling during the game! Locally, 3 inches was the average in Lancaster with 2 inches in northern areas and 4 inches in SoLanCo.

Rather than breakdown Sunday's storm any further, let's take a close look at Tuesday's quick-hitting event...which is equally fascinating. While Sunday's snow was triggered by strong frontal lifting, Tuesday's storm will be focused by a potent jet stream disturbance that will race over the region in about 6 hours. Moisture and duration are limited, but temperatures, cloud moisture, and lift will coincide almost perfectly aloft (12,000 - 18,000 feet) between 6:00am and 10:00am for a brief period of excellent dendrite growth. I'm not exactly sure exactly where this small bull's eye of snow generation will end up, but this small spot could get 6 to 8 inches in just a few hours time. More widespread/common will be a 2 to 5 inches of snow with a drop off to 1 - 3 over northcentral PA.

Canadian high pressure builds in Tuesday night and Wednesday ahead of an Arctic front coming for Wednesday evening. A snow shower is possible with the front, and then Thursday will be windy and cold with highs in the 20s and wind chills in the teens. Lake effect snows will fly in the usual places, and a few flurries may make it down into our area. Summing: the period Sunday (yesterday) through Thursday is about as wintry as things get in our area in early December. Who says "it doesn't get cold and snowy like it used to?" (Whomever says that is "wrong"!)

WWA hoisted.

Winter Weather Advisory
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA221 PM EST MON DEC 9 2013...SNOW FOR THE TUESDAY MORNING COMMUTE....A STRONG JET STREAM WILL GENERATE AN AREA OF SNOW WHICH WILLRIDE UP FROM THE SOUTHWEST TONIGHT. THE SNOW WILL BEGIN BEFORESUNRISE IN MOST LOCATIONS ACROSS SOUTHERN PENNSYLVANIA. THE SNOWWILL BE HEAVY AT TIMES DURING THE MORNING...BUT TAPER OFF IN THEEARLY AFTERNOON.PAZ024>028-033>036-049>053-056>059-063>066-100530-/O.NEW.KCTP.WW.Y.0025.131210T0800Z-131210T2100Z/CAMBRIA-BLAIR-HUNTINGDON-MIFFLIN-JUNIATA-SOMERSET-BEDFORD-FULTON-FRANKLIN-UNION-SNYDER-MONTOUR-NORTHUMBERLAND-COLUMBIA-PERRY-DAUPHIN-SCHUYLKILL-LEBANON-CUMBERLAND-ADAMS-YORK-LANCASTER-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...JOHNSTOWN...ALTOONA...HUNTINGDON...MOUNT UNION...LEWISTOWN...MIFFLINTOWN...SOMERSET...BEDFORD...MCCONNELLSBURG...CHAMBERSBURG...LEWISBURG...SELINSGROVE...DANVILLE...SUNBURY...SHAMOKIN...BLOOMSBURG...BERWICK...NEWPORT...HARRISBURG...HERSHEY...POTTSVILLE...LEBANON...CARLISLE...GETTYSBURG...YORK...LANCASTER221 PM EST MON DEC 9 2013...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 4 PM ESTTUESDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE HAS ISSUED A WINTERWEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 4 PM ESTTUESDAY.* LOCATIONS...SOUTHERN PENNSYLVANIA AND THE POCONOS.* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW.* ACCUMULATIONS...2 TO 5 INCHES OF SNOW.* TIMING...BEGINNING BEFORE SUNRISE...TAPERING OFF IN THE LATE  MORNING AND AFTERNOON.* IMPACTS...THE SNOW WILL CAUSE POOR VISIBILITY AND SNOW COVERED  ROADS. THIS WILL SLOW TRAFFIC...ESPECIALLY DURING THE MORNING  COMMUTE.* WINDS...WEST 5 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH.* TEMPERATURES...IN THE UPPER 20S.* VISIBILITIES...AS LOW AS ONE-QUARTER OF A MILE.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...HAZARDOUS WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING.USE CAUTION IF TRAVELING. FOR THE LATEST WEATHER INFORMATION...GOTO WEATHER.GOV/CTP OR STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO.REPORT SNOW OR ICE ACCUMULATION TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICESTATE COLLEGE BY SENDING AN EMAIL TO [email protected] TO THE NWS STATE COLLEGE FACEBOOK PAGE...OR TWEET@NWSSTATECOLLEGE WITH THE HASHTAG #CTPWX.&&$$DANGELO

Archived