• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - December 2013

PennMan

3.8" of snow (0.24" liquid equiv) followed by 0.10" of freezing rain (0.19" liquid) for 0.43" total liquid equiv.  Snow depth is a solid 3" with a heavy crust on top. 

Allweather,

good call on that megaband yesterday.  You said anywhere from the turnpike to Baltimore and it set up right in between.  I dont know what I would have done if those crazy rates made it here and I ended up with 8-10".  I'm still happy with this event and CTP nailed it down here.

Coop just wondering how do you measure the freezing rain? I have a hard enough time measuring snow.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3.8" of snow (0.24" liquid equiv) followed by 0.10" of freezing rain (0.19" liquid) for 0.43" total liquid equiv.  Snow depth is a solid 3" with a heavy crust on top. 

Allweather,

good call on that megaband yesterday.  You said anywhere from the turnpike to Baltimore and it set up right in between.  I dont know what I would have done if those crazy rates made it here and I ended up with 8-10".  I'm still happy with this event and CTP nailed it down here.

Thanks! Was a crazy band of snow for sure...so close to hitting the souther county cities! These overrunning precip events almost always over perform and that strong frontogenetical forcing wasn't being picked up by the globals (as you might expect with lower resolution). My first indication that this would over-perform the forecasts was looking at the RAP early yesterday morning...then the HRRR added to that notion when it got into range. Crazy.

Coop just wondering how do you measure the freezing rain? I have a hard enough time measuring snow.

I'm not Cashtown, but I figured I'd add my method. I went out on the deck and chipped away the ice in one spot, then put my ruler up against the left-standing ice to make the measurement. Not official, I know, but close enough

NWS supplies us with a ruler for measuring snow, ice, and precip as pictured below.  It's very handy and is broken down into tenths as that's the standard scale NWS requires.  This shot was back on Feb. 2nd 2011 on South Mt.

http://www.wunderground.com/wximage/Mason803/144?gallery=

try link, couldn't get pic to post

As far as measuring, I like tree branches for my ob.  I'll check several different branches because ice accumulates at different rates, then take the average.  You have to measure from top of branch as shown in pic, not the whole diameter.  Hope that helps.

Just got done with snow/ice removal for here at our Building. Damn ice on the sidewalks gives this old man a good work out.

last night i measured 1 1/4" before the slt/frz.

Couple crashes on the interstate and this am i went on a call where a Telephone pole fell on a commercial building, lucky the damn place didn't burn.

Had to run this morning to a shop in Camp Hill on 17th, then back to my office at Front and Locust in Harrisburg. I think Camp Hill added water to their roads overnight to ensure they became ice rinks. WTF.

This was a weird little storm as MDT had more snow than the rest of the Harrisburg gang, and I was able to eek out an extra .1-.25 over the others for being a hair south. Go figure.

Anyone know how the sidewalks are in harrisburg? My fiance had a hip replacement in the spring and is very leary of slipping/falling and hurting it or damaging the other side since that'll need replaced in the near future as well

anything treated is fine just wet... non treated icy

Most models are now on-board for accumulating snows from this second wave that will arrive tomorrow. As of now, the sweet spot is once again in MD/DE, but some accumulating snows could be possible as far north as I-80. Here's a look at the Canadian:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2013-12-09 at 7.29.37 AM.png

Thanks for posting that.

Euro also looks decent for the weekend system.

Anyone know how the sidewalks are in harrisburg? My fiance had a hip replacement in the spring and is very leary of slipping/falling and hurting it or damaging the other side since that'll need replaced in the near future as well

They suck if they haven't been touched, just depends on where she has to walk.

Snow scoreboard:

MDT:

Seasonal: 1.8

Normal to date: 2.2

Normal through Dec: 5.9

IPT:

Seasonal: 3.0

Normal to date: 3.5

Normal through Dec: 8.6

UNV:

Seasonal: 7.2

Normal to Date: 4.5

Normal through Dec: 10.2

The Normal to Date is Oct/Nov/26% of December, which probably is close but not entirely right. I guess MDT has a shot at above normal to date with the next storm, UNV is doing pretty well, all in all.

Snow scoreboard:

MDT:

Seasonal: 1.8

Normal to date: 2.2

Normal through Dec: 5.9

IPT:

Seasonal: 3.0

Normal to date: 3.5

Normal through Dec: 8.6

UNV:

Seasonal: 7.2

Normal to Date: 4.5

Normal through Dec: 10.2

The Normal to Date is Oct/Nov/26% of December, which probably is close but not entirely right. I guess MDT has a shot at above normal to date with the next storm, UNV is doing pretty well, all in all.

good info, thanks!

12z GFS is an improvement... brings accumulating snow to pretty much the whole area.  Assuming ratios would be decent so 3-5" verbatim for southern tier and the lehigh valley?  even brings 2-4 back this way

Looks mostly I-81 east right now but models have been improving for back your way. It's a very fragile setup though and can fall apart still. Best to temper expectations.

Archived