Total Members
    Most Online
    Snow13
    Newest Member
    Snow13
PennMan

Central PA - December 2013

Do you think the ice overperforms?

Maybe for for someone near the PA/MD line from Franklin county to York county. 

This thing looks like it will be ending much before tomorrow morning as was forecast. Anyone want to chime in on whether to expect the ZR part of the storm overnight to come? Looks like the radar is very spotty.

I think most of this ends before the warm air gets north... really struggling here northwest of harrisburg... expecting bigger flakes to start here any minute... have a dusting so far

Ice part forms late. RAP has it moving in by 9pm. Heavy icing souther tier counties, especially right on the MD line. 

I cant imagine with low precipitable water levels that these good rates right now will be able to sustain long enough for significant icing

Can anyone explain why this one is over performing for so many people? Earlier start? Colder temps? Better banding?

A meteorologist buddy of mine blamed it on mesoscale banding.

There are about 11 accidents on the PA Turnpike between Harrisburg and New Jersey. Every overpass on I83 and the turnpike are solid sheets of ice. The only reason we are out is to get my mother in law who was in a 30 car accident near Morgantown. Don't travel is you don't absolutely have to. I also am worrying about my son returning to Selinsgrove to SU from Pittsburgh. Stay safe all!

I thought the snow was winding down here but growing area of pretty good snow forming to our west.

Yes kind of in an area of 850 mb frontogenesis where the flow is decreasing along streamlines with a significant component parallel to the thermal gradient.

Yes kind of in an area of 850 mb frontogenesis where the flow is decreasing along streamlines with a significant component parallel to the thermal gradient.

Here comes the big flakes now. Starting to fall, might get heavy again.

Been snowing moderately to almost occasionally heavily for the past hour.  The snow rates don't appear to be mimicking the radar presentation.

Up to 1.5" total as of 10 minutes ago.  Temp holding at 25.5 degrees still.  I'm beginning to think I will reach the 2" mark with this one making it a "good storm" in my perspective.  Any storm that manages to completely cover the ground is a good storm.

Local roads are finally now snow-covered as the sun's radiative effects begin to diminish.

The radar in the deep south looks like its lighting up pretty good. Does anybody think that will get up here?

Here comes the big flakes now. Starting to fall, might get heavy again.

Looks like it's weakening as it lifts NEward, still light with small flakes in State College as of a few min ago.