• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - December 2013

PennMan

Ya, I agree. One should take the Intellicast radar's precip type with a grain of salt.

many of the precip type radars only factor in surface temperature... temps around 32-34 will show up pink and it could actually be raining or snowing... always rely on actual obs rather than the precip type radars

http://weather.rap.ucar.edu/surface/java_metars/index.php?appletsize=large

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm seeing some sleet pellets pinging off my roof already

So am I upon a closer look.  

I love it when someone asks me what I am doing when I am closely studying the ledge outside our one conference room window for those bouncing raindrops. 

Almost as sad as getting inside your car to look at the windshield to see if you are getting any star patterns on those raindrops. 

I love it when someone asks me what I am doing when I am closely studying the ledge outside our one conference room window for those bouncing raindrops. 

Almost as sad as getting inside your car to look at the windshield to see if you are getting any star patterns on those raindrops. 

We've all been there.  :santa:

That sleet must have come and gone, I saw nothing but rain on the walk back from class.

It's mostly rain, but there are a few wet ice pellets mixed in. They're not tiny, but they would just feel like rain hitting you. I saw about four on my car hood (picked a couple up to make sure they were ice).

FYI Sterling WFO went with a winter storm watch for all Mason-Dixon counties in MD west of the Susquehanna for Sunday/Monday. Would not be surprised if CTP went the same later tonight once this storm clear their CWA. I do not see an ice threat for Lancaster county...York westward.

What is your definition of "ice threat?" Eric Horst, the Millersville WIC Director, told me personally that he believes Millersville's ice accretion will be, at most, a third of an inch.

The NWS point and click says 3-7" tonight while their snowmap now shows 4-6" I don't know why they did not update the advisory yet? They may be thinking about going WSW.

It might be time to take the warnings down along the northernmost counties, since QPF there is lessening. Maybe they're just waiting to see what happens.

Archived